đŸ”¶ Letshuoer S12

3 Likes

I don’t carry everyday but I have Moondrop S8s, EE Spartan Adel, Perfect Seal PS6, other Midpriced randos. Less in terms of players DX240, MOJO, and old resistor removed AK120 which is also for lawns, backup, fun etc. I modded the amp boards of the DX240 a bit and added a 220uf silmic across the battery of the Mojo. Best portable source is the DX240 dig out (really good) into the MOJO with a belden 1694f cable I built. I tried a bunch of dig cables and this is easily the best value out there. I use a $600 Naim DC1 cable at home but the belden is almost as good as anything else I’ve tried and LOTS cheaper. The ones I’ve made tend to sound better run opposite the printing if you believe in that. Source side is red.

Just left the middle conductor open.

2 Likes

Also had things like JH13fp, Andro and PP8 in the past. The IEM that has raised my genuine interest lately is the YANYIN Moonlight. I stay away from the true esoterica in earphones because I don’t think pocketable portables are worthy of playing $3k earphones. I mean, I won’t even carry the MOJO on the go.
I have better home kit for that environment.

I got the Olina because I also tried the O2 and Kato and thought for what it cost and driver used it would be a fun tune and I’ll keep it for now. I like my result. ymmv :slightly_smiling_face:

The S12 is good but I’m just spinning my wheels now, LOL.

I am hesitant to go this far for mod but want to tame the uppermid shoutiness of S12 and achieved it accidantly.

I was cable rolling and noticed S12 became more bright when i connected with xihns graphine
so more quality cable brings more energy to it which i dont need.

When i tried the old 4 core cable which i bought for blon bl03 which is qdc by the way but i cut the rubber to reveal the two pins
surprisingly it worked very well in taming the brightness but without affecting bass or details. The cable should be measuring poor but that is the catch here synergize well with S12.

Sharing local seller of the cable but you can find similar in Ali i guess.

By the way Ovidius B1 is beast
very analogue musical pairing with S12.

2 Likes

Anyone have the moonriver 2 and tried this with it? I find my s12 really shines on my desktop amp but not with my dongles.

I am waiting for 3 mm 400 filter to ship form China to do Michael Bruce’s TOTL level mod.

Been tip rolling and really like Comply Ts-500 foam tips It brings down the 8k peak quite well. HighHats and cymbals sound a lot more natural, no more metallic and thin

Here is the graph from one of the Russian YouTubers comparing foam tips to silicone. I don’t perceive the bass drop as much as his graph shows.

Could anybody with measuring rig verify this? I definitely hear less 8k peak, just curious how it graphs

2 Likes

That graph cant be foam vs silicone tips. Thats way too much of an effect from just that.

This is what foam vs silicone tip should be more like.

3 Likes

has anyone tried the michael bruce mod? and the micropore tape mod? how do they compare to stock s12? im loving the detail and resolution of the s12, but im kind of missing the wider soundstage, and wider “oomph” from the bass of my $25 KBEAR KS2’s. just looking to enhance the s12 to this whether that be eartips mods or whatnot.

1 Like

To make S12 shine i did the following and blown away

1. Change cable to Penon pac480
it did the magic
it make the sound full bodied and stage is widest most holographic ever
amazing cable make this change.

2. Foam tips stock medium make uppermid rounded withot masking any details

3. S12 only opens up to desktop dac/amp
i finally use xduoo mt604 amp for full potential
2nd best pairing is Ovidius B1 dongle.

4 Likes

95% of the difference you hear from those changes is likely placebo. But if you hear a difference thats great. I just don’t want others to think they need these kind of upgrades to make it “shine”, because most people will not hear a difference.

6 Likes

I wont disagree with you since its good for your wallet
 But i dont want to miss that 5% fun i am getting out of these tip roll and cable roll.

For me nothing works perfect or full potential in stock at least these budget stuff
they need to cut cost to bring this tech to masses and always the cut is on cables and accessories
this is where cable and tip roll is fun and definately rewarding since there is scope for improvement over stock.

I would agree if i say this $1000 gold cable is out of this world
but come on for $50 cable not that much wrong decision since i am sure Shuoer cant sell at this price with this pac480 quality cable for the price.

I wont agree $20 iem stock cable is equal to $150 S12 stock cable either.

2 Likes

I understand that normally foam tips reduce 8k only 1-2 db, but somehow on S12 it sounds like 4 db reduction. I can emulate the sound I get with Ts-500 comply foam tips with EQ for silicone tips. I have to reduce 8k peak about 3-4 db to get cymbals sound like I hear them with foam tips. Not sure if it is due to my ear canal or something else, but it works! That’s why I asked if someone can try Comply tips and verify if they get same reduction.

1 Like

I finally received all needed filters to do Michael Bruce’s TOTAL mod for S12, but wasn’t able to separate the IEM shell. Tried everything Michael suggested in the YouTube video, but no luck. May be they are using stronger glue after some reports online earlier of shells coming apart. Any suggestions how to open up glued the housing ?

2 Likes

Have you seen his latest video? Not sure if he’s taken it down because I can’t find it anymore. Essentially he heated up the shell a little bit (until his fingers got hot) to help loosen the glue

3 Likes

I think it is not very safe, since the membrane is very thin and it is easy to damage it. Do this at your own risk

2 Likes

Does the iem package come shrinkwrapped? I bought it through Amazon and it wasn’t wrapped in plastic.

My S12 came shrink wrapped, although I ordered it direct from Letshouer

2 Likes

Mine came shrink wrapped from Letschouer too

2 Likes

S12 PRO :point_down:t2:

https://letshuoer.net/blogs/news/letshuoer-6Âș-aniversario-sorteo

1 Like

Which exact frequency on the equalizer makes the vocals more forward? The vocals are a tad bit recessed and I would like it a bit more forward.