Looking for a closed back with good Bass

Yep, Dekoni put the Stellia Limited Edition pads back into production about a month after I sold my Elegia!

I did try the Dekoni Sheepskin pads with the Elegia. While they made the bass more present, that neutered the effect of the punch and slam of the bass. The bass also removed some of the detail from the mids. Didn’t like them.

2 Likes

I did look into those after I saw them go on sale but I didn’t much praise in the bass department and I think the Focal Elegia and the 99 will be a great pairing with two different approaches to bass

2 Likes

The Meze 99 came in,

3 Likes

Initial, impression wow the bass really hits if you want it too with X bass or if the song calls for it, the warm sounds is very enjoyable so far. Listening to Nectar by Joji, bass is hitting very well. Can’t wait for the new pads to come in to try them out!

2 Likes

dang clean setup

2 Likes

Thanks aha, been spending years and way too much money on it

I loved my 99 Classic’s in every way except that I didn’t find that they scaled up with nicer gear. But I did love the sound with the bass emphasis. Found them super light and comfortable. And they were ridiculously easy to drive. They were my “on the go” set and sounded great out of my LG V30 phone or Sony DAP. As has already been said the Noir is supposed to be the same, but cheaper. The Neo is a different headphone as it has plastic cups.

I got the Elegia’s at $379.00 and was a little underwhelmed. But once I got my hands on some Dekoni Stellia pads, I was sold and they are now a keeper.

There are some Great options under $500.00!

3 Likes

I think it depends, the Meze 99 i wouldn’t say it “scales” very well to amps with better amplifaction or resolution but it does react to an amps quirks, like IFI Zen’s overall warm tone, Xbass and even 3d, it also reacts rather well to Hybrid amps (at least to my Loxji P20 with russian tubes)

1 Like

I was super impressed with how well it did with my phone and DAP. It needs very little power to sound great. And maybe the most comfortable headphone I have ever had.

1 Like

I was actually super surprised how light the 99s were, the headband is perfect for the weight and they just float on my head. Comfort is amazing, been listening to them with my hip dac for most of the afternoon around Ottawa with some buddy’s and some joints. Super pleased with the sound, soundstage is pretty good, the highs seem to be, I don’t want to say lacking but not harsh, it’s a very smooth sound and feels very laid back and enjoyable with some nice low end.

1 Like

How did the pads change the sound of the elegia’s ? At $100 it’s a steep cost but if it really makes all the difference I do it :joy:

It gave them more bass and authority. I Love my Elex’s, which is why I bought the Elegia’s. I was underwhelmed with the Elegia’s at first.
I understand that a closed back will never match the sound of an open back, but it was too off for me to the point that I was thinking about looking for used Celestee’s or Radiance’s.

Then I started reading about the Dekoni pads and started to think maybe that was the way to go. But they are not cheap, when shipped to Canada. I did find Dekoni sheepskins through Wal-Mart.ca and bought a set from a third party. It was just over $100.00Cdn., landed. It did bass up the headphone, but the sound changed and it was not a positive change. And NO Dekoni dealers carried the Stellia Ltd. Edition pads and then they went out of production.

The good news is that they are back. The bad news is that they will cost you almost $200.00Cdn., landed. Yikes!

I found a used set, right here in Halifax in perfect condition for $100.00. I got very lucky.

2 Likes

Damn guess I’ll have to keep my eyes open for a used pair , $200 cad is a high price to pay

S/H Fostex TH-X00 series not closed enough?

I havent seen a non-used sale of the Fostex TH-X00 a couple of years, correct me if im wrong

I think that what really helps with the weight is the spring in the support strap it really helps distrubt the weight. While it might wear out eventually its more comfortable than a something like Sundara IMO

Ya that’s what makes the 99s a “chill” headphone, that is great for longer sessions, once you’ll get the Elegia you’ll hear the difference, much more energetic, very clear and defined in comparison but i wouldn’t listen to them for more than a few hours

2 Likes

Just asking if S/H would be ok for the OP and if the Fostex TH-X00 range leak too much sound that’s all :man_shrugging:

I looked into them but could only find used options which I’m personally iffy on. I’d love to add one to the collection at some point tho!

Its all good man, i was actually very intersted one for myself :smiley: that why i asked

1 Like

Yep, if you’re wanting for more bass after hearing the 99 Classics, it’s time to get a wireless consumer can. The 99 Classics ooze warm, syrupy bass.

Enjoy.

P.S.: Your setup is as smooth as a baby’s ass. Very nice.

1 Like

Same experience here with the 99 Classics, with ease of driving. Perhaps the only headphone I’ve ever owned that didn’t seem to improve with more amplification. Sounded pretty much the same from my iPhone as it did from an amp.

Comfort wasn’t great for me. The cups were just a smidge too shallow, and my right ear hit the driver. But the density and material of the pads are excellent, and the self-adjusting headband was the most comfortable I’ve ever worn – should be standard for every headphone company!

2 Likes