Looking for an Upgrade or Change in Headphones

Got it, so it is similar to gain in a sense, since you need higher gain for higher impedance headphones usually. Cool, appreciate the input. :smiley:

You are building a VERY nice collection!

I look forward to your feedback. :+1:

1 Like

It is changing the output impedance of the amp, so not quite, the low z has an output impedance of 5 ohms while the high z is 35 ohms output impedance

1 Like

My Wallet doesn’t look forward to the feedback though. :wink:

3 Likes

As they say, “You gotta pay to play”. :grin:

1 Like

I always knew Pay to Win was more than just a gaming term. :sweat_smile:

But you are getting some Very good stuff! The stuff you are getting could very easily be end game.

1 Like

Quick Question. I found a HPA V281 for $1,700 new and was wondering if you think it is worth the extra $500 over the HPA V280? If it is I’m going to cancel my Drop order and buy the V281. Thoughts?

Does it have the upgraded volume pot?

I’m not sure, here is the link. https://www.thomannmusic.com/violectric_hpa_v281_black.htm?sid=a9bc5c0bf55bb2f5d806c51323bd0f7b#bewertung

Hmmm, no relay volume, I would see if you can find a better deal out there. I do think the v281 is worthwhile but I would look for a good price on the relay volume if you can

This is the last year of the V281 (V38x next year). I’m not sure if that version is the “final edition” or will have previous branding. The final edition will come with the USB DAC module for free also. Just some things to consider as well.

So there are two different versions of the V281? And what do you mean by relay volume on it?

There are added options you can have on the v281, like a remote control and also a stepped volume control (uses relays, and you have to get the remote with the relay pot). A relay control will give you stepped control over the volume and will have almost perfect channel balance at any volume position, imo a worthwhile upgrade but for some they don’t care as the stock volume pot is pretty good

Ah, I see. So I guess I should just go with the V280 for the moment, then wait for next years V38x and see if that is worth it or not.

Well I don’t know if it will be next year. It will be the next version, whether next year or 2 or whenever it’s released. They’ll have a beast V590 Amp/DAC combo in a month, so I don’t know what their actual time frame will be for the true successor of the V2xx series.

Edit, from what I know the v380 may be the first to be released, but no knowledge of time frame. It will have a DAC, but no balanced input, just RCA in. It will still have balanced headphone out.

I think picking a V280 is still a good move at this point if you are still planning on it.

1 Like

That’s not a bad idea imo, also you could watch to see if any v281 go up for sale if people snag the v590

1 Like

So the Arya’s came in today, been listening to them on the 887 for about 3hrs straight with songs I know very well and listen to a lot. I can say at this point, these are way more detailed and dynamic than the Aeolus. I can also see how the 887 and SU-8 can make things brighter as well.

I have been switching back and forth song after song between them and it has come to my attention that the Aeolus sound kind of veiled/dark, they don’t put everything upfront, instead it sounds like it is pushed back in the headphones which I thought I liked a lot, but the Arya’s are telling me differently.

The Arya’s do Bass a lot better than my Aeolus to my ears, and can’t wait until my V280 and Bifrost 2 come in to make them even better.

The only problem I have with the Arya’s currently are the fact that with no sound on with the headphones on you can hear EVERYTHING. I usually have about 6 fans running in my Gaming Room at all times since my Pc and all my equipment gets hot and makes the room a sauna, so I gotta have air. But now I can hear them loud and clear in the background. Whereas the Aeolus I couldn’t as much.

Other than that I really like the Arya’s so far and will be using them Balanced starting tomorrow when my custom cables come in for them.

EDIT: Also, you weren’t kidding about these babies needing power, I got my 887 on max gain with the knob at 3 o clock to get them loud enough.

2 Likes

Yes, in my eyes the aeolus have always been very chill, smooth, a bit warmer thicker headphones that aren’t the best at detail and refinement at their price, but are great slap em on and just chill and not care about technicalities. Personally not my cup of tea but I see the appeal

:+1:

Ah yes, they are indeed pretty open, I have always thought of zmf open backs as more like semi open since they do block a bit of sound compared to like the arya which are very wide open

They do appreciate lots of power lol

Glad you are enjoying them so far, curious to see what you think of them with higher quality source gear

Also as an aside, you might be pretty surprised what a hagerman tuba would do to the aeolus, might be something you appreciate

Yeah, been really thinking about copping it, like, I wake up going, hmm, should I buy that today or not. My only concern is it isn’t going to do as much as I would want with the headphones now that I have heard what the Arya’s do right.