Looking for Comp headphones

Hello i’ve looking all over the place for something like this so hopefully you guys can help me out.
I currently have a astro a50 gen 1 which has a died battery. It served me well all theses years but now im looking for a upgrade. So i play alot of fps COD, BF, Overwatch, Fortnite, CS:GO and im looking for headphones that will give me an advantage over my enemy. I have a budget of 600 and im looking for the best imaging and detailed heaphones under this budget.

Its also worth mentioning i will be getting an DAC/AMP after getting headphones just wanne focus on headphones for now.

1 Like

Well, I wouldn’t start too high here imo. I think if you are looking for a competitive advantage, perhaps looking at something like a dt880 600 ohm will give you really good imaging and soundstage, with good detail and a refined signature without breaking the bank. They would really benefit from a dac and amp though, so something like a topping e30 and a schiit mangi 3+ would be a great pairing imo

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Im not really worried about breaking bank i just want the best option i can have for comp gaming below 600 even if its 10% preformance for $200. The DT880 seems to be a really good option alot of positive reviews but i was wondering maby there are better options even though they are more expensive. Would the DT1990 be better at imaging and detail? Also any headphones that are even better than the DT1990 under 600? Im in persuit of the best option and your help is greatly appriciated.

1 Like

Yes, that’s really nice for gaming and would be an overall upgrade for gaming, but again you pay for that lol. If you are dead set on going higher end that would have been my pick under 500 bucks. Other options might be a koss 95x but I may prefer the 1990

3 Likes

not really any headphones better for gaming but there are headphones definitely better for other things under $600.

2 Likes

Thanks i just want certainty that i buy the right pair.
Would be painfull to buy a pair and find out later on that other headphones for less or the same price would have been better.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity would any headphones you have in mind be better for music? And what headphones do you have in mind?

1 Like

I would say the best headphone you could get at that price would be the Focal Elex. Or the Massdrop edition XX used or the Audeze LCD2 used. Not sure how the DT1990 would compare with those but it think its close since they retail for about 500$ But yeah the DT1990 are good for music as well as gaming. cant go far wrong there

2 Likes

Better for music under $600 would be a on sale elex, an edition xx , sundara, 660. All are competent for gaming specifically the 660 which is very good for gaming but none is as good as the 1990. But I would rate all of them more forgiving as a music can. To say it’s better is up to your ears.

4 Likes

Those are all great music picks, but not really ideal for competitive gaming imo

1 Like

Yeah, i was answering his question about music:

1 Like

Ah gotcha, I missed the post above

Ahh thanks havent looked at these. Anyone knows how the elex preformance is in comparicing to the DT1990 for gaming(imaging/detail)?

For gaming, the elex doesn’t do the best. It does recreate space well, but can be confusing in games (but awesome for music). It can make placement of sounds harder than you would think for a headphone that recreates space so well for music

The elex has almost a 360 degree staging pattern where it’s just fully around you, the 1990 is more of a cardioid pattern, and I think it ends up working better for games because most audio engines in games weren’t designed for the more unusual spatial recreation of focal headphones

1 Like

Thanks i just placed a order for the DT1990

Nice, curious to hear your thoughts on it, it should be pretty sweet :+1:

I recieved the headphones today and the sound and imaging is phenomenal im really glad i purchased it. The built quality and aesthetics are also outstanding.

3 Likes

Glad you are enjoying it, what pads are you using :+1:

1 Like

I am useing the A pads to minimize the bass for competitive play

1 Like

Grats! those are excellent headphones

1 Like