Looking for Comp headphones

Hi,

I’m new to forum looking at a good set of headphones.

Can i ask what DAC/AMP combo your running with the 1990’s?

Thanks

Would the tygr 300r be a good alternative to the 880 if there isn’t a budget to extend for the additional amp needed to power it?

So I actually just got these in, and I would say yeah, different signature, enjoying it so far. I think it runs surprisingly well off a phone, and decent off my laptop so far. It’s not as bright as the 880 600, but does have almost similar detail and staging capabilities (still and edge to the 880 600 ohm imo). It’s got a recessed treble compared to the 880, but no peaks and pretty smooth sounding too. Def more colored than the 880 600 though if you are going for neutrality, but it works out still for gaming, more forgiving too. Can’t say too much yet since I just got them in

1 Like

How different? From what I’ve looked up, the treble is smoother and a bit more bass I think?

Updated my previous post

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

It does sound pretty solid, and if you aren’t able to spend for a good amp or are sensitive to treble and want something actually kinda warmer and less treble oriented, I think it’s a great choice so far, mainly been listening off my phone for the time being actually (LG v30+), and did try on some amps and it did improve from that as well. I think the 300r vs the 880 600 or 250 ohm on a phone or laptop the 300r really pulls ahead for sure, great for the poor amp situation. For with a good amp, I think the 880 600 obviously takes off, but the 300r isn’t far off when you give it an amp. I think the 300r is very solid if you buy it as a single headphone and want something for gaming or casual listening. For critical listening I think the 880 600 is a easy pick with a good amp, but the 300r still preforms pretty well for the price tbh. Also I do think in the future an amp will still give a nice quality bump later on.

1 Like

Well i am useing a Soundblasterx G6 with my DT1990. Though its only for the sake of simplicity i wanted something that Works both with pc and ps4 with intergrated chat. I do think it works great but i have no experience with other dac/amps so there may be better options.

How would you compare the 300r against the DT1990 tor Comp gaming and imaging? Also as stated above currently useing a g6 what do you think would be a noticable upgrade and compatible with ps4 as dac/amps.

From the described sound sig alone the 1990 lends it to being a better comp gaming headphone. I can’t speak much to actual performance though but the sharper treble really does help with the footsteps region.

Side note: if you really want to step up your game changing your platform to PC helps.

1 Like

So I think the 1990 is easily in another tier of performance, but also a different signature, the 1990 is more aggressive in the treble and more forward overall, the 300 r seems relaxed in comparison. I think if you didn’t need a mic in, grabbing something like a topping e30 and plugging it in using optical along with an amp like a liquid spark or magni 3+ would be a great upgrade

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply so u would say the DT1990 preforms better at imaging and detail retrieval like footsteps and other enemy cues? Well i do play alot with friends and communication is important for team based games. What dac/amp combo would you say is absolute best for competitive gaming for again footsteps and such. It would be nice if it has a mic in and optical in preferably usb powers but not required.

I will say that the dt 1990 is fantastic for competitive and just gaming in general. I haven’t had issues with imaging, detail, footsteps, gunshots, breathing, etc in that regard. Using the analytical pads seems to be the best approach to this meanwhile balanced in some cases seems to offer some better immersion as it has better bass and the like but seem people reported it being slightly muddier. I switched from my dt 990 600 ohm premiums to the 1990 because I just like the sound a lot more and it still manages to retain being fantastic in game. I do believe that dt 990 was slightly better cause it had a higher treble and a sharper V but to some it was too sharp and made things uncomfortable. I find 1990 has a fantastic balance and is actually a very good all around headphone. However, I cannot speak for the 300 r as mine has yet to come in. You do pay the price for the 1990s though… thats definitely a certainty.

1 Like

Thanks i appriciate your oppinion so if u would only look at pure competitive gaming you would say the DT990 600ohm would preform better because of the sharper treble?

If I was only looking at the cues in a competitive scene and using the headphones strictly for competitive fps… I would say the dt 990s are slightly better for cue cards… very slightly and to some it probably wouldn’t be noticeable. The 600 ohm version is the best one as the treble is smoothed out paired with a good amp makes them a solid pick in competitive. However, if you want a headphone that is capable of more than just a fps I would say go the 1990 route between these two… I didn’t enjoy a lot of other aspects with the 990s such as immersive gaming and quite a lot of music I listen to. Rock, alternative, edm, etc it has good bass but the treble creates a thin airier sound to it which doesn’t suit this genre well. Sound is fairly subjective and this is just my experience. If you can try both I would say go that route. the 990s are a sharp V which focuses on lows and highs alongside its very sharp treble which may be unreasonable to some to the point of very uncomfortable. Lows and highs are what you rely on in a competitive fps the treble comes into play largely in a fps bass is for the explosions and thanks to the open back design it gives practically a 360 degree field of sound in game… the 1990 shares this albeit the treble and highs arent as strong and its more catered towards the neutral sound so its not as sharp or as uncomfortable the sound signature is drastically different. However, According to the Tygr 300 r it also caters towards the neutral… I cannot vouch for this headphone in comparison at this point in time but it could be similar. Unlike the dt 880 which is a semi open back and catering towards neutral the tygr 300 r is said to ease up the sound like the 1990 did but instead of semi open back like the 880 its fully open. It may work for what you are looking for. The difference here between the 1990 and the tygr r is like m0n said previously… the 1990 needs a amp while the tygr r does not. Without an amp on the dt 990s if you were to just choose the 32 ohm version they kinda sound like crap and imo not worth it. In the case of no amp I would say you would be better off with beyer mmx, beyer custom one pro plus, or beyer tygr r in that regard as they do better without amps. I sat with the 880s personally… I was not a fan in game. They felt like an all rounder designed for more casual use and not very good in competitive scenes… I actually had a lot more issues with them compared to the 990s in a competitive scene whereas I would prefer 880s in immersive single players and other games. For a short period I relied heavily on my dt 990 600 ohm for strictly competitive use till I tried the 1990 and found it just suited me better.

1 Like

Dam ur great thanks for the detailed fast response. Yeah i am looking for the best possible headphones for competitive gaming under 600 not taking music preformance in account. I dont mind the sacrafice to audio quality if it preforms better in comp gaming. Since my budget is 600 i cant buy tons of headphones and test them out thus relying on the experience of other people. I just wanne make sure i spend my money on the best option would hate to find out a better headphone are available for around the samen price. I ended up buying a DT1990 and i love it but i could still return it if a better option is available.

The DT1990 underneath its price bracket or in the same price bracket in the gaming genre can be regarded as one of the best… it’s a really hard contender to find better. Beyers DT series sound just compliments gaming incredibly well. Theres a few I can say that can somewhat compete though as far as competitive go. Audio Technica AD1000x caters heavily on the neutral however has absolute seperation of sound and it can be equalized to a higher bass and treble without much issues this headphone takes the place of the AD700x which for a while was one of the kings of the competitive headphone scene next to the Sennheiser 58x jubilee all rounder fantastic just in general higher variation is the 6xx which is another recommendation, and k702/k712/k7xx these 3 are practically the same which have an absolutely massive imaging and sound staging. All of these however are more towards the neutral yet at the same time are great for gaming. Mind you I am testing two others that may be able to be placed into this list as well… Nighthawk Carbon(currently testing) and Aeon Open X(which arrives tomorrow)

If you had to list a Top 5 where would these headphones place themselfes? For gaming purposes. Any experience on the sundara someone recommended them to me over the DT1990 for gaming.

hmm, for gaming purposes if its strictly competitive purposes #1 dt1990 #2 dt990 600 ohm #3 Ad1000x #4 ad700x/58x/k702 these are all on a even field for me #5 at this current point in testing Nighthawk Carbon still working on it though. For Casual Purposes thats a big oof. #1 dt 1990s #2 definitely Sundara here #3 Nighthawk Carbon #4 58x/6xx #5 Ad1000x General all rounders? #1 Sundara #2 DT 1990 #3 Nighthawk Carbon #4 definitely AD1000x here #5 58x jubilee

I highly recommend against trying to use Sundara in competitive. The sundara is a unique sounding headphone but its issue that kills it inside the competitive scene is that the treble is not face forward its pushed back making it harder to use and not very ideal. The highs are not accentuated they just arent very prominent and the lows while are there they are more balanced rather than really popping out like you would want. While it would definitely work and be pretty good at it it is by NO MEANS ideal. The only time I would say this is okay is if your only going to use strictly 1 headphone and you wanted to only spend around $250 and that the headphone had to be an all rounder… then I would 100% recommend this headphone.

So the 1000x imo isn’t neural, it’s pretty bright and bass light, with a fairly colored treble and mid-range, very crafted sound

I personally wouldn’t recommend the 6xx for someone who is looking for gaming performance, they are very much music headphones rather than gaming