Looking for Comp headphones

While I respect your opinion I have to respectfully disagree. There is no “meta” in gaming headphones. It goes completely by the players preference and how they game. Some players will play both competitive and casual others enjoy music and some just only play strictly casual. Some players have a very loud background making closed back ideal while others prefer a much wider field of sound and have a quiet home making the open back ideal. Closed backs are good for isolation and immersion but create heat while open back provide a much wider field of sound and allow for much better accuracy and staging in a very wide field of view on the sound. There are plenty of headphones both open and closed alike that share the lack of bass frequency and put mids and highs at the forefront making them ideal in the competitive scene. Please feel free to research those who make use of the k7 series and ad series and even the dt 880 as they are really quiet common among competitive gamers. Just because someone uses a open back does not by any means classify them as non serious there are many pros who use god awful gaming headsets and really cheap setups and do just fine. A headphone doesn’t make you good it can only help by providing some utility in sound.

every single game has a meta for everything, there is always a most efficient path
your opinion is how you get stuck in something like gold or plat in overwatch or league (sound doesnt really matter in league but im talking about mindset) or never accomplish anything in tarkov
they are actively diminishing their potential with open cans
the best teams can choose their sponsors, give me one that streams out of the arena, with open cans
an ex pro doesnt count, they are sick of being sweaty, look at the sweatiest most competitive gamers and tell me the ones who use open cans and ill find something in their life or something in their style that is “not sweaty, or they lack knowledge”

btw im ex-sweaty
idc about games anymore, i lost interest in improving, im currently running open cans

You seem to be consistently comparing pro teams and tournament leagues with those who are just playing competitively. Pros use closed backs due to venues and needing to be used to their headset setup on the regular in practice to be at the top of their game, closed backs are preferred to isolate the player from the outside background noise surrounding them and it is why it is considered “better” in general cases for them in particular. You see professionals use not just a closed back but now you also see IEMS get used with a closed back covering the ears. If there was a set best way for everything there wouldn’t be any surprises or alternative strategies being created and gaming would become pretty dull there’s always a new “meta” that gets created otherwise even the IEM setup wouldn’t have caught on. I highly doubt people here looking for competitive headphones are in the tournament brackets as while you can choose your sponsor like you said you still are expected to use the equipment provided. In the terms of you being some of the best players? Yes, I will agree that using an open back when its universally accepted to just use a closed back will diminish your potential. However, in the terms of outside of tournament regulations on the day to day someone who just likes playing competitive games? It becomes very subjective and personal preference.

i stopped reading here

Pros use closed backs due to venues and needing to be used to their headset setup on the regular in practice to be at the top of their game

i literally said not in a venue

Okay now i am confused which one is better closed or open. I dont compete at events or at tournaments yet. I’d just like to know which one would preform better at competitive fps. Not taking Quality or music preformance in account. Just the ability to hear footsteps, reloading guns, firing guns, call outs, etc.
Which one would preform better at this and imaging, detail retrieval, clarity and sound seperation just for the sake of being able to hear enemys not music and not quality of sound just preformance. And is there any theoratical knowledge to back of up or just personal preference?

If your plan is to attend tournaments and go somewhere with it. Closed back. Otherwise its preference. Competitive wise. AD700x, K702, or DT 880 for open backs.

1 Like

what games do you play?

which ever of our opinion you prefer is your answer

Hmm, perhaps suggesting some closed back headphones in this listing would help him then since I already recommended some of the better for competitive open backs. Far to many closed backs that work fine.

i already said what he should try and what he can do if he dont like them and to hold off on the pad swap till you know if you like them or not

CS:GO, R6, Valorant, COD, Overwatch. At ideal circumstances so quiet environment And best tools possible. All focusing on FPS which would be best open or closed?

Hmm which one would win AD700 vs K702?

Theres some other alternative closed backs… dt 770s are good, 177x go is good, steel series works fine, hyperx orbit is good, audeze mobius works good, AKG K553 Pro are pretty good, ATH A1000Z are nice, vokyl erupts are supposed to be really good as well. You Could probably write a really long page write up on what closed backs are good in every single price range on closed backs… as long as they dont have that bass presence and mids and highs are front face your good. The point is to not have a rumbly bass and have it pushed back so footsteps and other subtle sounds are more prominent

1 Like

Both are good k702 is more analytically accurate in its sound and has a wider soundstage some people have issues with that soundstage however being TOO wide and causing some dilemmas in game. Ad700x meanwhile also has a large soundstage though not as wide… just as accurate though seperation seems to be an issue in some cases as some sounds tend to blend and theres a coloration to the sound making it a little less natural

1 Like

Alright ill probally get the k702 for testing thanks!

closed

ad700 if you can get it
this headphone is an anomaly and arent the k702’s pretty bassy?

1 Like

not particularly no. they are analytical but lack a bass presence. Ad700x though I tend to prefer for comfort reasons… plus the main issue is seperation which is fixed with ad1000x

the ad700 is just an anomaly for serious gaming
its actually too good for gaming and being open

both are… they are considered like some of the best in a top 5 list for their price range. Ad700x though is just dirt cheap which makes it very accessible to those on a tighter budget…

Test either one, if you don’t like the “Open” sound from an open back in game then consider switching over to a closed back.