Looking for recomendations on audio(total noob) with a flexible budget $500~

The Xduoo XD-05 plus is portable (if you want to move around the house listening to the beyers you can connect your cellphone via USB and enjoy) and also very powerful, so if in the future you want to get more difficult to drive headphones you would be covered…

1 Like

Yeah it’s an amazing unit. Can’t go wrong with it. The battery life is amazing too.

Awesome I can have these here by tomorrow. I’ll make sure to check in with the results. One thing though when I’m looking at the pads here I definitely feel like my ears are going to touch the foam inside. Are there bigger pads for these?

1 Like

The Zen dac will struggle with the 600 ohms

2 Likes

Just be aware that there is the regular XD-05 and there is the XD-05 Plus, the regular costs around 150 and the plus around 250. The thing is any of those would work now, but the plus has double the power 1 watt instead of 0,5. You are within budget anyway…

1 Like

Yes, Beyerdynamic headphones are pretty customizable with pads. Lots of options made by different companies. :wink:
The Beyerdynamic pads are actually fairly deep, it’s sort of deceptive when you look at the pictures imo.

I’d recommend the JDS Atom amp 100$ OR Schiit Heresy 100$. Topping d10 dac 90$ and a Hifiman Sundara 350$ i believe you’ll get phenomenal sound out of these.

Don’t get the black variant of the 880

No headphones can do above or below well unless you really want to put serious cash in. The way I tell for that in siege is not directional audio rather sound cues

The Fiio K5 Pro is probably the go-to entry level amp/dac for the DT880. I would use the window of time you have here with just the DT880 to see how sharp they are to your ear. Your computer’s built-in audio should be powerful enough to give you an idea if they are too sharp in the treble. If so, another option that will add only about $50 would be to get a Monolith Liquid Spark amp and a dac like the SMSL M100 or Topping D10 instead of the K5 Pro. The Liquid Spark pairs really well with Beyer’s DTXX0 series since it rolls off the treble just a bit.

2 Likes

All very good info. I completely agree. :+1:

I’ve been freed! I got the set in a little bit ago so once I give the manual a good once over I’ll let you guys know. Super excited!

Nice! Should be awesome with the K5 Pro. :+1:

I have the xd-05 Plus currently. After using it plus the dt880s it really does feel like I’m in an open room. Like really wide. I probably have to mess with it a little more because it feels like the volume is a little on the lower side.

1 Like

What gain are you on?

I think the xd05+ contributes to the openness too… love that little (but actually big) thing

high gain should help the volume if you’re not there already

1 Like

I’ve bumped it up to a higher gain setting and that certainly helped with the volume problem. Hahaha I can really tell I have been missing out. I wish someone would have knocked some sense into me when I spent $350 on the a40+mixamp now.

I have noticed with the bump in gain there’s a slight hissing sound.

Yeah it’s going to have a slightly higher noise floor but it shouldn’t be an issue unless it’s very audible

Ahh okay. I just need to find like a middle ground then. The like quiet portions of a song get drowned out by the hiss so i’ll definitely work on it.

Also make sure your digital sources are maxed too, you want to make sure your digital volume is at max and control volume through the amp