Looking for XLR microphone setup

Exactly what cables am I going to need? This is everything I have so far, thank you:

Im going to get the Shure sm48

Behringer UM2

Gator Frameworks Mount

This should be all you need

And some rca cables if you want to use the um2 as a dac for your liquid spark (if you want to do that)

1 Like

Okay if i get some rca cables to use the UM2 as a dac, will that improve my current setup? What will occur if I use it as a dac? Sorry I’m big noob.

You will most likely get a cleaner dac signal, and also have the ability to listen back to your self with no latency from the mic which can be useful (if you want). If you wanted a better dac, the focusrite scarlett solo has a better dac and monitor out imo

1 Like

Meh I don’t think I’ll need to listen to myself… I talk to myself more than enough already haha. A cleaner signal is always a plus, but I feel like I’m splitting hairs at this point. I’ll try just just the XLR cable for now. I can always get rca cables in the future if I really want those features. Soo big take away for the audio interface is that I want the switch for the 48V TURNED OFF correct?

Yes. You can also turn off the listen to your self feature as well

1 Like

Honestly the Shure SM48 is a nice option, but IMO that plus an interface is a bit spendy right away. I use the Samson Q2U which is $60:

It has both USB and XLR connections, so you can stick with USB for now and if you want to upgrade to XLR at a later time, you can do that. Cable wise it has both USB and XLR cables n the pack as well.

1 Like

I think the upgrade potential of a traditional interface + xlr mic is better idea imo, and it only is around 20 bucks more with better sound quality. But that option is a fair bit better if you are looking at something like a snowball

2 Likes

I appreciate the response. However, I already processed the order hahaha

I got my microphones confused - I was thinking of the SM58 and not the SM48. SM48 is a fair bit cheaper, so not as expensive.

No problem lol, they all look the same anyway

1 Like

Okay so everything came in. I’m wondering how I get it to work now. Do I need a cable for the output from UM2 or will the USB from the Um2 to PC do all the work for me? It’s not recognizing when I talk.

So you need to connect the um2 using usb to the computer. You also have to install drivers for the um2

If you have done that already, make sure your microphone gain is physically set on the um2 itself and you are getting sound from the mic

Okay obviously I am a noob with this haha. I needed to turn the gain on…it was set to 0. Do I still need the drivers? Now that the gain is not off it has recognized my voice. I can hear myself also, since I turned that option on in sound settings. It is a bit sensitive though like it is even picking up my breathing through my nose, and all keyboard sounds, so I’m probably going to have to adjust the sensitivity.

You don’t have to use the drivers unless you plan on doing anything with asio (studio stuff mostly)

Yes you will have to adjust the gain on the device and the gain in windows to get a level where it won’t pick up everything

In the windows sound panel, set the device as default under the recording tab.

Also make sure you have your sample rate set at 16bit 44.1khz, and any windows or other sound enhancements disabled

Okay, yeah that was all default already. So adjusting gain 1 will make the mic more and less sensitive? It sounds really good by the way. Just need to adjust the sensitivity.

So on the device itself, adjusting the gain higher will make it more sensitive. You want to get to a point where you can talk higher then normal without the mic peaking/clipping, and you can make sure by not having the red light come on when you are talking at an above average sound level. Peaking will cause distortion, so you want to avoid that

In the windows sound setting, perhaps set the mic/line level of the um2 at 60 to make sure that it does not clip inside windows and control the gain from the device

If you want to listen to your self, you can do so through the interface via the headphone jack or through windows by selecting the device, going into properties, and selecting listen with the appropriate output device. Listening to yourself through the um2 can help you find good placement and avoid clipping

Okay makes sense, so since I can hear myself: The volume I hear myself at, is that the same volume the listener will hear me, or is this only on my end and the listener can hear me at normal volume?

I am listening to myself through windows, “Listen to this device.”

It’s more of a way to gauge how you are being picked up by the microphone and what it can hear, so it can give you an idea what other people can hear.

Also try just plugging straight into the um2 and selecting the direct monitor button, as that will not have any latency. It is good practice to make sure you are not clipping in windows and on the physical device

Try plugging my headphones into the Um2? I noticed that red light come on when the gain 1 was turned up higher, so I lowered it and its not coming on anymore.