Looking to get my first audio setup

I suppose I could stack the m300 and SA300 on top of a SD200 amp.

Does it have to be smsl? I can think of a couple of stacks that would get the job done

no, but I already have the atom and m100 new in the last month. So the only thing I’m looking for is a better replacement to my speaker amp that stacks nicer looking and can still power RB42s

So what are the main differences between the d10 and m100?

D10 has a bigger screen, but the text isn’t important on either display, the D10 sounds a tad better. But the M100 has more inputs and a nicer finish/look while being a tad cheaper

1 Like

this post goes over a few sub $100 dacs. there pros and cons

FWIW I’d take anyone claiming one decent $100 DAC sounds better than another decent $100 DAC with a big pinch of salt. The sonic differences are really subtle, and while you can tell the difference, calling one definitively better is a stretch.

They are pretty subtle lol. Its there but most with an untrained ear won’t even really be able to tell the difference anyway lol

1 Like

I know some aren’t fond of measurements. I use measurements, combined with as many reviews as I can find, and of course if I have a chance to audition the gear as well. But, if one wants to at least play it safe, Amir’s measurements and recommendations from Audio Science Review carry a lot of weight with many in the community.

It’s not that we don’t like measurements, it’s just that we don’t believe they are all inclusive in describing the sound. They should be a tool, to help make a decision not an absolute indicator of quality as Amir seems to preach.

It’s how some people use the measurements that we don’t like lol. Measurements are used to compliment experiences, not supplement experience

1 Like

That is the way I use them, combined with as much experience and knowledge I can gather before making a decision to buy. Going off of measurements alone would be foolish…just as foolish as ignoring them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Personally as long as there’s nothing glaringly wrong with the measurements, I tend to not really pay attention to them lol

That’s my feeling as well, I look at them, and look for glaring problems.
One of the issues I have with Amir is his pushing of ridiculous minimum measurements.
A ZDT Jr won’t do better than 75 dB noise floor, Amir would have you believe that’s terrible, but it’s my most listened to amp.
For transducers there is some value in frequency sweeps, but those are gross errors, and even there it’s just a part of the story.

1 Like

Ok well tons of good info from you guys here…I’m leaning towards the m100, even though I’m not a fan of the form factor…I think it’s the multiple inputs that are moving it up, gives me more options for expansion and future upgrades to my equipment

Also wtf is that khadas tone board? Looks almost like I am supposed to screw that into my motherboard… Cool that it’s so small and simple but it needs a box…

The tone board is basically a retail hobby board. but yes you can buy boxes for them.

Could you make a high quality dac with hobby parts?

Like can you get the chipsets they install in these dacs on their own?

Here is a recent thread

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/aluminium-boxes-cases/aluminum-case-for-khadas-tone-board-p-13626.html

Yeah I saw that in the 100$ dac thread. Looks nice and all, but they aren’t in stock and probably cost 40$+ total after shipping to the states. Kinda makes the board less worth it in my eyes since aesthetics are somewhat important… function moreso, but if it can be pretty too…