Today I listened to a $20k+ sound system today.... AMA

I was thinking of going dcs in my studio but instead went Lavry

Assuming in the future you make over 100,000 per year. Would you seriously consider that paying 20k for a system?

And then same question making 75k, then 50k

Most people into HiFi don’t just go out and buy a 20K system.
You work up to it, you start with a <1K system, then you decide you need a better turn table, which leads to a better amp, then you upgrade the speakers. But you need a better tone arm and cartridge, which now means you need better speakers.
Big all McIntosh systems like the above are usually bought as fashion statements, as much as for the sound. The stuff is good, but it’s not what I would spend the money on, especially not the $4000 power conditioner.

3 Likes

Why?
Like, what the F Why?!

For that to make sense, the studio where the music was recorded would have to have an insane setup. I doubt many of them do.
Also: I will laugh my ass off when one day, one of those Audiofools finds a $1.12 Texas Instruments DAC in their insanely overpriced DAC.

There are so many brands I never heard of lol

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998345892.html?spm=a2g01.12616982.tplist001.4.1527601cjqOdxH&gps-id=5950812&scm=1007.23961.125497.0&scm_id=1007.23961.125497.0&scm-url=1007.23961.125497.0&pvid=88386c07-e065-4e2b-a2b8-c2ee307d9d3db I mean… not saying it sounds as good cause dac implementation and how the amp is,SINAD score, SNR and everything but its a texas instrument DAC for $35

The PCM5102 is not even super shitty.
Nearing EOL and all that aside.
112dB SNR and -93dB THD are not bad. Even has some fancy feaetures such as output mute on voltage loss (prevents the “thump” when you turn the device off).

Looking at the “typical application circuits”, aka “the best way to use it”, you could get yourself a very impressive DIY USB DAC from this for $10. Assuming you know how to etch a PCB and solder SMD components :smiley:

lol I wish I learned to solder that in school but If I can stick all that shit on a bread board It’s doable for me. I’ve made some shit on a bread board

1 Like

Soldering is not that hard.
Place component, heat joint, add solder, let it cool.

I did it in high school just too lazy TBH just sticking shit to a breadboard and connecting wires is just kinda easier

1 Like

like i mentioned earlier, if i was making a lot of money i would still go the used route. i don’t value warranties as much as i did when i was a kid. i hate paying full price for anything lol. i could definitely see myself spending maybe a couple hundred to a couple thousand but not much more tbh. but that’s just me and my use case and personality.

This probably is my favorite quote ever, from now on.

i Actually was thinking of buying those speakers but i chose to go active and chase my dream.
B&W got nice speakers and the highs kinda makes them what they are.

And i would spend way more if i could. :smiley:

2 Likes

Now that’s the response I was looking for lol

1 Like

Glad I could help :smiley:

Since no one asked I might as well.

• What’s the power consumption of the system

• What’s the room size needed.

asking out of curiosity since my father was interested in this when I was a kid, curious to know what he would have paid for.

Well in addition to the system the man who owns the system probably spent a decent amount of cash on things like room treatment as well

yeah the room was awesome. they built mini cable management walls along the entire perimeter of the room, the acoustic treatment was also very professional.

Sometimes the room is really the most important part of the system. So investing in that can get so much more expensive than the system

1 Like

I remember listening to a £100k+? Apogee, Musical Fidelity Pre amp and Krell mono blocks, analogue (Linn if I remember?) demo back in the 90’s and yeah…just yeah :om: