Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy

Who knows lol, I don’t think they would drop the ball, but there could be some weird things that could go on. Also yeah more power is a good thing for most planars

I think I’ll still save up for the Asgard. I like the idea of having an all-in-one unit that handles most of what I’ll throw at lmao. Either way, I’m glad they’re putting another step forward in competing in the budget space. I just wonder how it’ll fare against the Spark and Atom sound-wise.

2 Likes

My understanding is these are different to the Asgard, the Asgard isn’t trying to be incredibly neutral, where as the new Magni’s are.
This is entirely hear say, from a few comments on SBAF.

I would be interested to know if they are really better than the predecessor Magni 3 Standart. especially would be good for Magni 3 standard owner to know, maybe you could even take the Vali 2 on board. The Vali 2 simply for a simple reason that in the resolution is better and a little more heat sprayed. That would certainly be a good comparison. On the Datasheet, the new look not bad. Important would be just what comes out at the end. The Hereasy looks good devilishly, question he sounds too Or do they both sound more vicious than all their predecessors? Can we again be happy to say What a devilish shiit?

I have always enjoyed my Magni 3. It is fairly neutral and maybe a bit dry sounding, but the bass feels a bit tighter than my Asgard 2. I am guessing these new iterations of the Magni (3+ and Heresey) are not going to be worth upgrading if you already have a Magni 3, but still represent a fantastic value if you have no amp. I bet they are using these new versions as a way to gauge whether or not people are OK with an op-amp instead of discrete components. If they can make their (probably best-selling) amp more cheaply and sell it for the same retail price and nobody complains, why wouldn’t they.

They have been changing their topologies in several of their products. For example, the Continuity topology used in Asgard 3, Aegir, etc. may or may not be a sonic improvement, but it is definitely a departure from pure Class A.

Anyway, if my Magni 3 at work died today, I wouldn’t hesitate to replace it with a Magni 3+. I love that little peanut!

For the Asgard, if I had an Asgard 2 I would definitely upgrade to the 3 as it’s a big leap forward imo in power and sound quality

1 Like

Ya Mon, I don’t doubt it. I like the warmth of the Class A, but sometimes it feels a bit muddy. If/when I replace it, I think I will probably get a balanced amp for my home rig. Have you listened to the Asgard 2 and 3?

Yeah, I really didn’t like the asgard 2 tbh because I didn’t think it was that good with the typical schiit compressed sound and kinda unrefined driving with some headphones. The asgard 3 has a fair bit more juice, alot less of the schiit compression, and sounds great with most headphones for it. I think switching off of class A for them was a benefit with the asgard at least. Also it’s still slightly warm too, but very balanced sounding compared to the two

It makes me hopeful that the new magni (is that plural lol) will be another step up too

1 Like

Magnus, Magni, Magnum! :grin:

where do you find info on where / when shows are?

You can check online, I don’t know the current schedules, and tbh I just have a friend let me know because I always forget anyway

2 Likes

For those that care
Review and comparison to a few other $100-$150 amps here

1 Like

So it seems like the magni 3+ would be closer to the asgard 3 but I also fear that the 3+ still has some of the schiit sound sig compression. But it seems like the Heresy is a win for a transparent/analytical amp

I guess now if you still want a transparent/analytical amp but want to power some planars the Heresy seems like a very compelling choice.

well looks like liquid spark is still for me in terms of tastes although magni 3+ is looking promising. I am interested in how the heresy compares to the atom measurements wise as I might be in the market for a new amp soon for the absolute neutrality and detail so I can objectively compare headphones

Considering the reviewer couldn’t discern the difference between the Atom, Heresy, and the Achel Pro, I think it’s safe to say that any choice at that point would just be down to how much power you want for your cans.

Reading up on that review made me really made me consider whether I still want the Asgard or not. There was really no mention of the compression issue that was found back on the Magni 3, and seems to have a similar signature as described on the Asgard, only without the massive amount of power that it offerers. Pair it with a modi and it looks really compelling while saving $100 over the Asgard while having some pretty clean, if not slightly warm sound signature to boot.

2 Likes

Yeah, pretty dang interesting and seems like a great choice. Although I am still skeptical of the 3+

I think my only gripe is that the Magni 3+ is not in black. I still got some time to decide, but I’d like to hear more opinions about it just to give a better idea of what to expect.

I’d also like to know whether that ‘compression’ is still a significant problem. Then again, that reviewer also mentioned that he didn’t perceive that much of a difference between the Magni 3+ and the Heresy so that was an interesting note.

I feel like the heresy isn’t going to have that issue, but based on the impressions of the review, the 3+ may have that characteristic

FWIW My experience of all the cheaper clean SS stuff I’ve listened to is they all sounds more similar than different. Yes there are nuances between some of them, but they are all just good.
If there were a big difference it really ought to be between the 3+ and the Herresy, they have different topologies, but because they are both trying to basically achieve the same thing they probably end up sounding similar.

1 Like