Mainly gaming headphones under 200$

not a very good dac, decent amp for entry level though definitely not bad on the price.

Problem with x6 is while yes it will drive the 250 ohms… it’s barily strong enough. Though yes, if you want sound quality… 250 ohms is worth it over 80

ah what a shame 2nd hand can be good depending on age tho.

Also the soundstage on my hd6xx is pretty good but then again ive got a smsl m3 into a loxjieP20 “non balanced just rca cuz its tubes” .

My m8 has the dac X6 for his hd6xx and he says its 1000x better than onboard audio

idk then 2nd hand dt770 or 990 pro and a modmic 3.5mm might be the best way to go

@Falenkor i love the bass of the dt770’s but its the high end i hated if i could have any openback it would be 770pro 250ohm’s low end with hd6xx high end TBF never bothered with eq XD

nah the soundstage on the 600 series is just common knowledge anymore… 500 series of sennheisers have the larger yet more average size for an open back stage while 600 is very intimate and narrow… but 600 series has the higher scaling, impedance, and quality of sound and respond a hell of a lot better to tubes. they sound incredible. Though if I were to sit and compare a beyer such as tygr 300r to 6xx? Theres zero competition there in placement capabilities tygr would wipe the floor with 6xx in that regard… 770s are no slouch either but like I said… that bass is an issue, it’s that warmth and rumble that clouds up the footsteps and other sounds after sitting there screwing with my equalizer for hours. Like, it’s not horrible or anything but it is noticeable… and it’s due to that I will agree that 6xx is better for placement in that regard until the soundstage comes into play…

it depends… something such as s1220A audio codec can push up to 600 ohm headphones and sound relatively decent… these boards are twice as strong as the x6. Not to say the motherboards offer better clarity and audio quality though for sure… they aren’t that good lol. Amp and dac always sound better… especially for the sennheisers and beyers where scaling is quite large.

yeah, for a closed back he has some options but for him, it sounds like 770s would be his best bet as they seem to fit what hes looking for practically spot on… I do wish sennheiser had some better closed backs though. Not too many really good neutral mid centric closed backs in the budget pricepoints.

You’d probably love the 177x go to death if the highs were the only issue… its similar but with both bass and treble dialed back towards more neutral while keeping that soundstage and imaging. T1.2 would probably be the closest similarity to the 770 as an open back with dan clarks aeons being similar as an open back to the 177x go

I loved my DT770’s but sadly broke em putting a mini xlr port in them was using a butane soldering iron (DO NOT RECOMMEND)“no heat reg” so you can guess what happened next the iron got so hot the steel tip melted off and melted through both the dt770 driver’s i was so pissed here is a pic b4 they were soldered. F https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/752577727856508971/784833676839485500/IMG_20200117_194854.jpg

oh good lord, RIP

will order another pair and do it again when i can afford it “have a electric iron now XD”

if you are talking about the 1770’s yea i wish sadly cant afford them
also sennheiser do make some decent closed backs hd820 XD tad over budget tho

sort of, 177X GO is the massdrop variant and they are cheaper than the 1770 yet most people actually prefer them over the 1770… at the same time… 177x GO is actually portable at 32 ohms lol.

I mean, yea if you want to light your wallet on fire… I would sooner go buy a fostex or something at that point… lol

Just checked on drop the
“MASSDROP X BEYERDYNAMIC DT 177X GO HEADPHONES”
are ( 450$ 337.49 Pound sterling) where as in the uk the 1770 pro are (£369.00 492.01) which sounds better until you factor in the UK customs fee.
I had to pay (50quid $66.67 )for customs from US to the UK for my hd6xx.

ouch, I would search around the markets… surely someone has one in the UK somewhere they go on sale quite often from others who upgrade and the like.

1 Like

Some advice with Dt 770 pro headphones 990’s ect you have a limited number of times you can take on and off the earpads b4 they start to become worn out so don’t go taking them off for no reason only downside to the 770’s look’s is the outside plastic’s look you can sand it smooth pretty ez if you dont like it also the most comfy headphones ive worn to date beat my hd6xx for example my hd6xx you would start to feel it after 7-10 hours straight gaming but the dt770’s never had that problem nor did it ever get sweaty at all with stock pads i would say they of 10/10 for comfortability

@Falenkor what do you think about some ( shp9500 ) headphone’s for him never used them personally but heard good thing and they are under 80quid in the uk no idea about us but might be a good budget option if they are cheap in the us compared to 770 also think they are easy to drive

open back, needs modification to be brought to full potential, extreme lack of clamp force, usually $50 here but modifications drag it up to $150, heavy lack in the bass outside of modification, slightly grainy

1 Like

I think I will end up going for the 770’s pro 250ohm paired with the DAC x6 as it will cost me together just around 200$

sounds good, just remember x6 is a combo unit, it’s not necessary to just go purchase a seperate budget dac considering that. an upgrade would be a dedicated amp.

i would rec the smsl m3 more than the dac X6 for one thing the dial on the X6 clicks in steps and M3 is smooth also a good standalone dac also you said gaming you are aware the 770’s dont have a mic?
also from my experience the X6 and M3 dont get any louder after 70-80% i think thats cuz lack of power

I’d have to pay over 100$ m3 and its double the price I can get an X6 for. Is the X6 not going to perform well with the 770s? and about the lack of power, it says its able to run headphones with up to 600omh, should I be worried about it not performing well together or it just that I won’t be able to reach really loud volume?

And yeah I’ll have to get a mic as well, been thinking about getting an Antlion Modmic since I’ve heard its good, but don’t know yet really

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-Audio-M3-Powered-Decoder/dp/B019Y5TR6O/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=smsl+m3&qid=1607375929&sr=8-2 still under 100 im not too sure about the X6 as a standalone but with the M3 70% is more than enough i was able to drive the dt770’s 250ohm on my monitor port of my scarlet solo without em being quiet so i would say you should be fine but if you go for modmic maye a gaming dac would be better since it has 3.5mm input if not a good cheap rec would be https://fifinemicrophone.com/collections/microphones/products/usb-microphone-with-volume-control-k669-669b or just go xlr

Modmic are fine. Stick with x6 if it’s that much cheaper upgrade later to a much better unit.

Do not recommend modmic uni. It runs quite sensitive and sounds worse than usb. Gaming dacs tend to make uni sound even worse

Yeah I’ve been recommended the Fifine microphone series as well, as it’s good value for its price, at least so I’ve heard, so i’m leaning towards the Fifine K669/K669B