Making the best headphones Bluetooth by adding only the fiio btr5 or similar plug in small Bluetooth receiver

I know this is sacrilege: Making the Best Wireless Headphones by adding a Bluetooth receiver like the photos attached? Over the last 2 months I have actually put some time into this. For my work and travel I use to use wired headphones, but I realized this year I ended up mostly using a pair of wireless for convenience. Now I have been on the search for the best sounding wireless over ear closed back wireless headphones that can work with a small Bluetooth receiver like the fiio BTR5, so that I can just plug the device straight into the headphones without any cables. I know there are limitations on both the jack (one 3.5 jack I think would work best) and how much power the Bluetooth device can push through the headphones. Are Planar headphones off the table for such a small Bluetooth device to power them. Any headphones under $1000 would be appreciated.

Recently tried these:

HIFIMAN Ananda-BT High-Resolution Bluetooth Over-Ear Planar Magnetic Full-Size Headphone (hifiman is open back though)

beyerdynamic Amiron BT Wireless High-End Stereo Headphone

image image

Well technically, the headphones would still be ‘wired’, they would just be plugged in with that tiny cable to the BTR5 if you get wired as the pictures and then hook them up like that.
Imo wireless headphones that have to power themselves aren’t that great. The setup you have there looks better. The only bluetooth headphones I can think of that are decent are the V Moda Crossfade 2 Codex, but they are waaay overpriced at the same time.

I still think you would be best using a 3.5 adapter like the second picture with a ‘wired’ pair of headphones, and then plugging the BTR5 into that. It may look silly but that way the headphones themselves don’t have to be bluetooth, yet you can use that bluetooth functionality. It would open up way more possibilities.

1 Like

Yes i think the set up in the second photo would work well, hard plug in. Now looking for the headphones with one jack input and don’t need that much power (the power will come from the fiio btr5)

1 Like

You would be surprised how much power that BTR5 has though. Zeos said he was happy with it driving his 300 ohm Sennheiser HD600, which are hard to drive.

1 Like

The 600 isn’t actually that hard to drive, it’s just picky for how it sounds on each amp

2 Likes

After watching his review is where I got the idea to figure out the best headphones to use with the fiio btr5. However I want a closed back and 1 jack, so glad to hear the Sennheiser HD600 works, but does anything come to mind for a closed back and 1 side jack?

1 Like

Well, it would depend on your budget and what sound you are looking for. V shaped? Warm? Neutral? Wide or narrow?

Thank you for you questions, I was explaining to Mon that I am new to the audiophile world. I prefer a lot of detail, and when the instruments are separated. I avoid anything muddy and prefer clear treble over strong base. I think a wide sound stage would be my preference and I like to hear all the instruments very distinctly. I want to invest in this set of headphones because I do so much travel and would consider anything under $1000

2 Likes

You may like the DT 177x Go, it has pretty good detail, and it has very clear treble, and the bass is actually tight instead of boomy.
@M0N knows more than me about this, lol help.

If you made a custom cable that could be viable imo. If you made another custom cable the ndh20 becomes an option, but the single cable thing is a real limitation to what you can do

2 Likes

Oh, they are dual? I forgot.

No they are a single cable, but are the mini xlr connector

1 Like

@M0N what about the AKG K371? Not super expensive but they may a actually be close to what they are looking for as far as sound.

Yeah, but I mean those are pretty under budget for him, I wonder how he would think the sound would stack up. Also you would still have to make a special adapter for them because they would be that 3 pin mini xlr

1 Like

Ugh!
I can’t think of any closed back under 1,000 that have a detailed sound that are wide, and are light enough/tight enough to be portable besides the ones I suggested? You have any others you can think of?

177x, aeon 2 closed, ndh20, campfire cascade, focal elegia, and more if you didn’t have the single side restriction

Actually the B&O H6 would work well for @mmazzotta99

1 Like

I forgot there was a closed back Focal. Might be a good option.
Aren’t the Cascades like bass cannons in a way?
B&O H6 are supposedly nice and laid back with pretty nice detail.

1 Like

The cascades have very good bass but they aren’t a cannon

Also the focal prob wouldn’t be an option because of the cable situation

1 Like

Oh right.
What about the Aeon 2 closed? I’ve heard mixed things about them.

I really like them, with a good amp I think I like it more than the elegia. Very impressive in every way to me

2 Likes