šŸ”¶ Mangird TEA (6 BA/1DD)

Foam tips add lots of bass, atleast for me

Yep, thatā€™s the alternate tuning. The Fiio FH3 is an IEM that will probably make you happier.

@PapaEmeritus
Fh3 has more bass than teas? I have the fh3 coming today, canā€™t wait. Did u say you like the fh3 over the teas?

I did. The FH3 has just about the perfect tuning for my tastes. Iā€™m not a bass head but I like my bass. I prefer a more fun and energetic playback than a more analytical set. Itā€™s a treat every time I listen to music with the FH3. It is amazing how good the FH3 bass response is. The bass is elevated, but somehow it doesnā€™t bleed into the mids. It is fast, detailed, textured and fat. The beryllium DD in the FH3 is special. It beats the FH7 hands down. The FH3 is shy for some in the treble, but for me itā€™s ideal since Iā€™m treble sensitive.

Itā€™s the perfect blend of my preferred FR along with enough technicalities (detail, stage and separation, etcā€¦).

If you want a lot more detail concerning the FH3, just check out the FH3 thread. I go into great detail about it. I enjoy the FH3 so much I have two. I ordered the FH5 just so I can compare it to the FH3. I hope I like it as much as the FH3. Weā€™ll see.

The Mangird, is a great alternative to the FH3. What the Mangird does is special as well. Just different. Iā€™ll be keeping both.

3 Likes

@PapaEmeritus
Since you have both of these IEMs, Iā€™m curious what your thoughts are on this comparison.

UGH, I know this video well. I really respect this reviewer and I bought the ISN H40 on his sole recommendation because of this video. I already had the Mangird Tea when this video was released and I loved it (still do) so the way electro mod compared them made me incredibly interested in the H40. Especially because he ultimately preferred it to the Mangird.

I am about to write a book but donā€™t want to. lol

Iā€™ll just say this. I disagree with electro mod in his assumption of how similar the H40 and Mangird Tea are. They are not as similar as he suggests.

I canā€™t really write about these two IEMs without discussing the FH3, because the FH3 changes everything for me and makes one of these IEMs obsolete for me.

I have written quite a lot about how the FH3 stacks up against both of these IEMs (mainly the H40) šŸ”¶ FiiO FH3 2BA 1DD - #153 by PapaEmeritus but not how they compare to one another.

For me, the FH3 and H40 are the most similar of the 3. The Mangird is its own beast. You can read all about my opinions of the FH3 vs the H40 in the link above, but spoiler, I prefer the FH3 to the H40. The H40 bests the FH3 in timber. Thatā€™s about it. The FH3 does everything else technically better than the H40 rendering the H40 useless to me unless Iā€™m listening to softer, slower music where that slight improvement to the timber makes a difference, and I might not miss the fast, detailed, and textured bass of the FH3.

The Mangird Tea has a very different tuning and a natural presentation that is addictive. The sub bass emphasis and reduced upper bass allows the mids to shine through. Because the sub bass is well emphasized, Iā€™m still getting that rich deep bass I require, itā€™s just lower in the FR which is refreshing. This opens up space for the mids in the mix and theyā€™re balanced beautifully. At first, I thought I wouldnā€™t be able to handle the treble of the Mangird, but the more I listened to it, I realized it was just about the perfect limit for what I would want from a brighter set. The Mangird has made me appreciate treble like no other IEM has, and thatā€™s saying something since Iā€™m treble sensitive and I actually really enjoy listening for treble detail with the Mangird.

So essentially, the H40 is more my preferred tonality vs the Mangird. If I had to choose between the H40 and the Mangird, I would probably choose the H40. But because the FH3 exists, the FH3 does my FR better in almost every aspect vs the H40. But the Mangird is a fantastic alternate tuning to the FH3 that I enjoy and really appreciate. Itā€™s always a treat when I decide to listen to my music with the Mangird.

Long story short, I prefer the FH3 to all three, but because I own the FH3, the Mangird Tea is my second favorite IEM. The H40 is almost useless to me. I havenā€™t put it back in my ears since I did that critical listening comparison with the FH3.

9 Likes

Really enjoyed reading this, great comparisons. Iā€™m going to put in an order for the FH3ā€™s to see what the fuss it about lol.

1 Like

Thank YOU for letting me know my ramblings arenā€™t a complete waste of time.

3 Likes

Great write up, simular to how I feel about the teas and fh3. Would be hard to get rid of either, while I still have both. Teas just have something unique about them compared to the fh3. Fh3 is just SOLID. Like you said, the teas unique treble and awesome sub bass is great. I have the campfire orion currently on loan, and it is very mids focus. Pretty neat to hear all 3 together.

1 Like

how is it that i came to the tea thread and you guys are still convincing me to buy the fh3?? :smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s simple. Because the FH3 is incredible value. Fiio has tuned the FH3 beryllium driver to perfection, to the point where I have yet to hear sub bass & bass that is faster, more detailed/defined and textured on any other IEM. Itā€™s even to the point where it might be explained as unnatural because it is so different than anything else Iā€™ve heard. Donā€™t get me wrong, itā€™s intoxicating and addictive.

The other BA drivers are tuned extremely well to compliment the DD. Nothing is offensive. They went with a very safe tuning for the BAs so it works so well for so many styles of music.

The technicalities might not be TOTL but if they were, they would be more fatiguing than the FH3 is. For me, itā€™s a perfect balance of FR, detail, slam and smoothness for only 130 bucks. Insane.

2 Likes

I have a few iems on the way (campfire orion ck, obravo cupid, empire ears bravado), maybe after that I will have to check these out.

We shall seeā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hey IEMusic, after some serious critical listening tonight, I have some new observations regarding the Mangird and the ISN H40.

I didnā€™t see this coming but because Iā€™ve comparing everything to the FH3 lately, I didnā€™t do this comparisonā€¦

Mangird Tea VS Fiio FH7.

I critically compared the FH3 vs the FH7 as soon as I received the FH3 and preferred the FH3 immediately, because it had a more fun signature with more bass. The FH3ā€™s bass was not only more pronounced, it was faster, tighter and more detailed. Both of these DDs are beryllium too. The FH7 is a brighter IEM than the FH3 with better treble detail, but I personally prefer the FH3ā€™s smoother, laid back treble presentation.

If the Mangird was going to be my alternate ā€œbrightā€ tuned IEM, I prefer the FH7 to Mangird. I donā€™t normally listen for treble, as long as it doesnā€™t hurt Iā€™m happy, but when comparing the two, the Mangird sounded veiled in the treble compared to the FH7. I also have the strongest treble reducing filters on the FH7.

After this critical listening, and not finding the Mangird or the ISN H40 comfortable, Iā€™m pondering letting them both go to a new home.

EDIT: After not being able to get this off my mind since posting it, I tip rolled the Mangird Tea extensively and have come to some new conclusions. Iā€™ve struggled with fit, seal & inner ear suction with the Mangird ever since I received it. Iā€™ve been trying everything I can and feel I am currently squeezing out the best seal I can achieve on the Mangird. I previously said I preferred the FH7 to the Mangird. Thatā€™s not true. I was comparing the treble of the two and I got carried away listening for treble detail. The Mangird Tea treble is beautiful. After backing away and listening with fresh ears, the FH7 is the better treble detail cannon, but it can go beyond my comfort level. The Mangird Tea treble is more my preference.

Back to the tip rolling experimentsā€¦ With this seal, Iā€™ve got the Mangirdā€™s bass kicking ass right now and Iā€™m not experiencing any fit issues. It takes some time to get the fit just right, but when itā€™s set, the Mangird Tea kicks serious ass. It might be artificial (like pushing the IEM deep into your ears to maximize the bass) if others canā€™t attain this extreme of a seal with no fit issues. Itā€™s taken patience, effort and break-in time but it is paying off.

Off topicā€¦ Itā€™s pretty crazy how different you can make the same IEM sound with different variables. Different tips, insertion depths and angles entering the ear canal. Especially tips. The difference in sound between foam and silicone is not minimal. There are also huge sound variables with different silicone tips. Canā€™t give advise when Iā€™m personally capable of drastically altering an IEMs sound in my own ears. How is anyone else going to be able to hear exactly what Iā€™m hearing with all these tip/fit variables let alone source, dac, amp differences?

3 Likes

Iā€™m looking for the same comparisons too. These looks beautiful.

This may be a random comparison to ask for but the Mangird Tea vs drop + jvc ha-fdx1? Anyone experienced both and can compare?

OK, im done. :wink:
Did anyone know, when the next Drop is going down? Couldnt find anything .

Ive seen a post where someone was talking about you cannot get the mmcxā€™s ones anymore ? Is this true ?

They are quite different, and accomplish different goals. The FDX1 is a cool sounding analytical IEM. Clarity, resolution, and detail are excellent for a DD IEM, and are more like very good BAs, yet it retains the natural sound of a DD. The upper midrange centered around 4KHz is very prominent and shouty to me, so tinkering and modding is needed usually. The included nozzles help, but I ultimately modded mine differently. The Mangird Tea is not nearly as intense of a listen. There are no offensive frequencies, but due to itā€™s tuning, it doesnā€™t present a lot of fine details. It is more full sounding, and sounds equally good with male and female vocals. Bass quantity is about the same, but I prefer the Mangirdā€™s bass as it is slightly more sub bass biased. Imaging is MUCH better on the Tea. For me, the Tea is a lot more versatile, as I can listen to and enjoy any genre of music with it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the detailed response.

Just as a final question, how is the fit of the tea?

It fits me very well. You can use it for deep or shallow insertion, but the nozzle is long enough for either. The Tea is definitely more comfortable and secure feeling than the FDX1. With foam tips and deep insertion, the Tea gives me the best isolation Iā€™ve experienced outside of multi flange tips. I would say that the one weakness of the Tea is with micro detail retrieval, where itā€™s tuning directly affects this quality. What you get is something you can listen to for several hours at a time w/o any fatigue.

1 Like