Massdrop 500 bucks off the raals

My local-ish guy has been demoing it with a Schitt Vidar and swears by it. I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet but hope to early next year. I kind of like the idea of the Jot-R if I didn’t have a speaker amp, but I’d much prefer to find out the Marantz works with it

They are really good for sure, but they give me a headache the way they fit on my head. I’ve heard more detail, but I think they have the most speaker like presentation for a headphone imo. TBH I would rather get speakers at that point tbh

And i still dont know what it means :laughing:

1 Like

It means a small coterie of people known to excel at some particular topic. For instance wine stewards.

1 Like

yeah i got that. but what does it have to do with the raals?

He’s saying a $2k option to pull people into the experience, and a $5k option for the crazy head-fi crowd that want the best of the best at all times that does everything even better than the entry level option

1 Like

Hey I may be crazy but don’t associate me with HeadFi lol

Creating a username for this forum defines you as crazy to 99.9% of the population

I guess that’s fair but even then there are varying levels of higher crazy (or whatever you would call it lol)

What about SBAF? super best audio friends

It was more a joke lol, headfi and sbaf are fine, I just don’t think they are as enjoyable as this forum as it’s more casual conversation for me. Just trying to get away from elitism in most regards

I think both sites are great resources, but I am just a lurker on both of them. I have no interest in logging in to a forum and telling everyone "hey, I really like my new ____ " only to be told I’m wrong and a bad person for feeling that way. I planned on being a lurker here too, but it seems to be more of a community trying to figure things out vs one full of people that already know everything

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s people who just want to enjoy themselves and have a fun time, also help people at the same time at all levels, actually kinda catering to entry level. Also very music focused too which is nice

1 Like

I’m sort of a Head-Fi burnout. I think its going downhill as many of the Sr’s are going over to SBAF. I do think you guys have a nice set-up here. Keep it cool.

2 Likes

It does seem a lot more welcoming for a newcomer. Head-fi is intimidating as hell if you are on the fence about taking your first plunge into a $400+ headphone. It’s been fun to see people here take those leaps and talk about it, and also cool to see people get excited about their $38 Blon 03’s without being ignored

2 Likes

I have my likes and dislikes like most. It’s important not to dump on people about the dislikes - because it is taste after all, and it has a chilling effect on what people can discuss.

2 Likes

As luck would have it, I got a chance to listen to these on Saturday. They are the best thing I’ve ever heard for mids, voice is spectacular and the highs are airy without a trace of harshness. What’s the problem then? They suck balls for bass. Like I mean, just downright bad for anything that’s even remotely loud and demanding below 50 Hz. Lil Yatchty’s MICKEY nearly made them blow up, or at least they scared the hell out me thinking I was going to blow them up… and we wouldn’t have wanted that. Anyway, nice that for once, I’m actually able to comment on stratosphericly priced audiophile gear.

What amp did you get to hear them on?

1 Like

A Schiit Vidar. I was at my first HP meetup. Bloom Audio in NJ, about a half hour from Philly. A lot of collective good gear. Had my first round of headphone listen marathon. 3 hours of trying different things people had brought. Some high end, some mid range and some cheap but good stuff. So it surprised me as my response was AFTER having listened to a lot of other stuff, one even more pricey than the 3k Drop is asking for them.

Do you think there was something wrong? I was the only guy that commented on how bad the base was, maybe I was the only one that tried to push and see what they could do.

It really felt as if you were listening to speakers and not headphones. And odd experience to say the least. I wonder if they’d benefit from a sub? That would be an interesting experiment.

2 Likes

Well, they are essentially just speakers near your ears lol. So it would make sense it’s more speaker like than most. I don’t know if there was something wrong. I do think they could get a better amp than the vidar though, but idk. A sub would work and be pretty interesting, but tbh at that point you could just get a better experience from actual speakers for the same price

1 Like