šŸ”· MassDrop THX AAA 789 - Linear Headphone Amplifier

Jesus that ship dateā€¦ Maybe one day you will be able to just buy one and have it ship in the same weekā€¦ One day.

Maybe. Iā€™m still waiting on mine from last drop. 6 more weeksā€¦

2 Likes

Honestly Iā€™m just going to save a bit and buy the benchmark thx headphone amp rather then wait for this.

Edit: if they go back in stock eventually lol

Thatā€™s the ultimate endgame! The allure of the AAA789 is getting into the same ballpark as the HPA4 for $400.

I seriously thought about jumping on this drop, butā€¦ my ears are not worthy. My equipment is not worthy. (I donā€™t even have any balanced cables yet.) Maybe some day.

This drop has stayed open for longer than a few minutes. Maybe theyā€™ve got the message and increased production.

1 Like

One month open period with a November shipping date :weary: and they slapped that new stupid logo on the front :joy: Iā€™m happy I got in on the May drop :sunglasses:

The wait has literally put me off this for good. I would rather buy any other THX amp out there.

For those of you that already have a 789, and something else thatā€™s very clean such as a JDS labs EL amp or atom, rme adi2, etc. Can you actually hear an audible difference between this and others like the ones mentioned? Yeah I know balance vs. singled ended outputs but I still want to hear opinions. I currently have a RME ADI2 Dac, JDS labs El Amp, and Emotiva A100, and Iā€™ve been patiently waiting to get in on this drop and I did, but Iā€™m having doubts if I really need to spend the money when I have these other excellent amps already. All there of my amps power Argons no problem at all, so I donā€™t really need more power. Opinions?

I wonder if the reason for the delay in the May drop was because they have recalled the units already finished to put the awful drop logo on themā€¦

I hope not. Iā€™m not a fan.

I hope not! I was promised an original design, authentic collectors edition 789!!

Yeah I want the OG design too. Thatā€™s the one I pre ordered.

Looking more and more like the case. The drop is still open. Lasted an hour last time around. I rate they rate they pulled it soon after they noticed. Hopefully you all get the original design. Might be worth checking with them.

Gosh, the drop is still open with 28 days left and 4.5k units sold/pre-ordered.

I donā€™t have the money now (if they closed it soon), but could pretty much manage it in a month - then my main question is: ā€œshould I go for it?ā€.

Is it so good that Iā€™ll be blown away with my AKG K712s which Iā€™m currently feeding from AUNE X7s/X1s combo? Will the difference be that big so it will justify another amp purchase?
If I got it I would be runing it single ended from the AUNE X1sā€™s DAC and probably start saving for a balanced DAC and headphones - which Iā€™m eventually planning in order to get to my endgame solution (which I believe the THX 789 be for me).
Or should I rather consider the Monoprice 788 even though Iā€™m not much into all those DAC features and EQ at all?

I know I want it so bad because Iā€™m hyped from all the reviews, mainly thanks to Z :slight_smile:
Itā€™s just my brain keeps questioning itā€¦

In the same exact boat. I pre-ordered it but Iā€™m having my doubts on spending more money when what I already have is excellent. Just the hype train really making me buy it, but I donā€™t Iā€™d notice any difference. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, Iā€™m thinking about buying it for the sake of it being my endgame (given my limited ability to save money for my hobbies as a father of two) as well as because itā€™s available again and not gone in few hours. Oh and did I mention I have to convince my wife that I need another costy black brick on my desk? :smile:

Edit: by endgame I also mean the possible future upgrades of headphones so Iā€™ll know that whatever model/type Iā€™ll choose the amp will handle them to their limit, taking into account its glorified specs and power.
I maybe naively hope that the THX 789 will bring me that audiophile peace of mind so I wonā€™t be needing (or wanting? :slight_smile:) something better :joy:

1 Like

No. Save yourself $400. You will see almost no benefit from the 789 on your 712s.

I think people are getting really hyped for the 789 because of all the excellent reviews and its rarity. Itā€™s like this magic little unicorn that no one can get but everyone loves. There is no doubt itā€™s a very good product. HOWEVER, for $300 less, everyone could buy a JDS Labs Atom today and have it on their front door next week or sooner. It objectively measures a little better than the 789 and has enough power for 99% of headphones on the market.

And if for whatever your reason you really think you need THX technology, just buy the Monoprice THX AAA desktop amp. It retails for $500 (often on sale for less), but it comes with a built-in DAC. The cheapest balanced DAC you can find is $150 (Massdrop Grace SDAC). So in the end, you are saving yourself money for a product you can have within a week.

5 Likes

Waiting patiently for the May Drop to ship in September. Itā€™s the last of the OG production runs as well, which aesthetically I prefer.

If you want similar power get my new fave the Weiliang E600, a fully balanced amp with a crap ton of power for $100-120. I also had a 788, with the right opamp it can go head to head with the THX 788 and closer to the 789 in that respect. Itā€™s louder to my ears than a Jotunheim but I am unclear on the actual number it puts out. In short I have no interest in the 789 after getting it.