Metal music thread & IEM for it

I’m using them for some Blind Guardian this morning, can confirm they are wonderful.

1 Like

Is DD fast or lazy? How is their timbre?

1 Like

Timbre is bang-on to my ears, the DD is fast but can feel a bit wooly on some tracks; I have seen people arguing about burn-in on the DD in the Prestige & LTD, and I did actually send them out on tour so they’ve had some time since I last heard them and I feel like it has tightened up since what I remember. It could all be placebo, it may not. I don’t find it to step wrong on double kickdrums or fast basslines, though.

1 Like

I haven’t listened to the Simgot, but I think the EW200 would be better for metal! :thinking:
However, people who have tried them can say!

Yeah, I’m starting to think it’s not the IEMs fault but the recordings… :frowning:

2 Likes

Older Metal is rarely mastered very well. I like to think of it as part of its “charm”.

2 Likes

absolutely! ‘old’ recordings also have their own sound (and flaws) while today’s recordings sounds kind of the same ish (same plugins?)

I was digging these on the MP145 w/ the red nozzle last night. Really nice dose of mid-bass whilst keeping the details in the foreground.

Prestige OG was pretty good for metal/deathcore, but the treble was really grating without using double-flanged tips. I imagine the LTD is an improvement. If only I could find an IEM equivalent to the AQ Nighthawks for low-quality stuff.

2 Likes

Yep the stock tuning is absolutely not all that great for metal :pensive:

But! They EQ very very well and especially the bass slams hard! Definitely the best set under $150 for metal if you EQ imo!

1 Like

:trophy:

2 Likes

Hmmm, ThieAudio are really masters of tuning. These images….Bass to die for……
In a few days I will give detailed impressions, but for now I did not expect them to be so good for $267!!!

3 Likes

Cheers to everyone who likes the good sound of HYPE2. I have little time left for dinner.

7 Likes

will be looking forward of you impressions, looking for somthing that punches me a bit more in the face than my teas XD

1 Like

In a few days, when I have a little more time and listen to more music with HYPЕ2, I will write detailed impressions… :sunglasses:

1 Like

1 Like

Today I was at a demonstration of headphones and IEMs in my city. I will tell some impressions later.

5 Likes

So, let me tell you some impressions of how many IEMs I had the chance to try:

Xelento Gen2 - very warm sound, with good height, width and not very good depth of the soundstage. Typical V-shaped tuning, with plenty of bass. It’s the most powerful bass I’ve heard in an IEM, but the separation and mids suffer a bit. 8/10

Meze Advar - warm, with a good amount of bass, average soundstage, good mids, but could be better. Not worth the asking price in my opinion because Chi Fi has better offerings at lower prices. Not very technical for metal. 6/10

Meze Rai Penta - $1100 for this - NEVER, you must be crazy. HYPE 2 is several levels above this IEM, lol Romanians are crazy! Buy the MK3 and forget about this Romanian IEM. Bad stage, bad separation of instruments, bass without texture, guitars poorly presented, drums in the overall mix are lost. In general, a soup of nothing, I apologize! 5/10

LETSHUOER DZ4- here I agree with everyone that it is for slower music. I didn’t like it. Overall very bad for metal. I actually don’t know what music this is about!? 5/10

HIFIMAN RE2000 Silver - good neutral-bright sound. Medium, well-sized soundstage, very detailed, probably the most detailed IEM I’ve heard. Very good bass. Extremely good dynamics. Superior separation of instruments. Can be a little bright in the upper mids, but a really good, old IEM that’s currently on a big sale in my town. Good for metal, very good actually. 9.5/10

IE900 - mids, ooo where is the mids… The bass is very high quality, better than IE600. The resolution is first class. The stage is very wide and has good depth, actually very good for DD. Good IEM, but not for metal, I prefer IE600. 9/10

HIFIMAN SVANAR - Ooooo God- dynamism, stage, resolution, coherency are first class. In fact, I have never heard better macro and micro dynamics in an IEM. They can be bright for some. They are so detailed that they can become tiresome. Analytical King! ! disagree with some who say they lack soul, their soul is to make you hear everything, absolutely everything on the record . On the contrary, this is a very good IEM, but also expensive. :fire: 10/10

The impressions are not very detailed because there were other people who wanted to try them. There were some other IEMs, but I left them out, they were not of interest, they are unlikely to be of interest to you either. :sunglasses: :beers:

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing impressions! Quick question, how do the two HiFiMans compare against one another?

I own and adore the sonics of the RE2000 Silver & Gold (non-Pro) variants, and am always curious to learn more about how they compare against the new(er) flagship, Svanar. tyia