šŸ”· Meze 99 Classic/Neo/Noir

Oh shit!!! Yeah those look like themā€¦cool that you can get just blue or just red via Amazonā€¦got mine through Yaxi Japan

You were right, just checked my accountā€¦looks like they are waiting on some new stock but should ship in a week.

1 Like

5/5 recommendation for Yaxi stPads from me for these.

I am pulling the trigger on these today!

1 Like

I now have 4 pad pairs for my Meze 99 Noir. As with anything disclaimer that I still need time with all these pads and this opinion may change. Currently have ~15 hours with small stock, 20 hr with Yaxi, 20 min with brainwavz and 1hour with big stock.

Best to worst for me:

#1 Yaxi stPads2

These are great. Iā€™m still enjoying them. They tame the base a smidge while keeping solid mid/high and stuff. Going back and forth with the others, these might veil a little bit (I think Iā€™m using this correctly) but that is the price for the tamed bass. Its like the difference between a loosely trained German Shepard (other pads) and a well trained German Shepard (Yaxi)ā€¦both are nice but I like the one that follows me without a leash behind my right leg and does what I ask of it.

#2 Stock small pads

Heavy handed bass but not overkill personally, more funā€¦not super detailed which is nice when I want to kick back with the tunes. Also great for me comfort-wise (ive read negative comments about this). I enjoyed these from the get go- first format of the cans I tried.

#3 Brainwavz Oval Velour

I just got the Brainwavz Red Velour Oval pads and would agreed with some aforementioned comments about the space increase and bass with themā€¦trebles and mid might be a little cleaner but I started out listening to Hozier - Almost (sweet music) and Itā€™s like I can feel my eardrum membranes pushed (no pleasant) - curiosity peaked I moved to some rock - then deadmau5 and some Adele a capellaā€¦again clean and clearer mids/highs but the thing is a cannon with the space (deadmau5). Pretty consistent with what I found between the stock padsā€¦too much room seems to magnify the lows and thump to painfully overpowering levels. Little sad as I am a fan of the dark to red contrast. May try to adjust material directly over the driver to settle down the base. Also only have like 30 minutes listening timeā€¦need more to really eval but first impression.

#4 Stock big pads

These might even tie with the Brainwavz for soundā€¦bass isnā€™t a cannon but muddies the sound ā€¦continued problems with room in cup. Brainwavz take the win though because 1) Red! 2) Velour fabric feels nice. These are also narrower (the foam) than the small stock padsā€¦the space doesnā€™t seem to do these any favors.

Here are the contenders: The best closest to top Yaxi, small, big, brainwavz

And profiles :L to R large stock, yaxi, small stock, Brainwvz

2 Likes

Hey @monkey32, I actually got an email from them asking me to double check if I wanted the stPads or the stPads2. The ones youā€™re using that fit correctly and sound good are the stPads, correct? No ā€œ2ā€.

Shit man! no its the st pad 2ā€¦just checked the invoiceā€¦appologies. Ill edit through the thread. sorry again and hope you caught that.

1 Like

Ha, all good! Glad I asked! Okay, Iā€™ll go with the stPads2 then. :+1:

1 Like

Ordered! Will let you know when they come in and take pictures as well.

so has any consensus been drawn as to weather the yaxipds2 or the srh1540 are better?

I wonā€™t speak to the consensus, but I found that the ya I pads are awesome quality wise, but sound wise made the low mids/mids weaker, which I didnā€™t like.

It does improve the bass, makes it cleaner but not weaker. So if thatā€™s a priority, then it would be perfect. Iā€™m going back to the stock pads.

Not tried the srh1540 pads yet giving the brainwavz another shot for longer than a dayā€¦ After two weeks on the brainwavz gonna switch back to Yaxi and try neoprene dampening

So, seeing as Iā€™m fixated on tubes at the moment, and having read ShaneDā€™s positive take on Meze 99ā€™s with tube amps, how would you all compare the 99ā€™s performance on tubes with HD650/600/6xx and beyers and zmfā€™s on tubes?

ā€¦Specifically here on this post, please see the previous post.

I got my HD600ā€™s, again, last week. They have a great sound, but need the assistance of my Schiit Loki, whereas the 99ā€™s donā€™t. And my Gradoā€™s can go with and without the Loki.

My particular tube amp is not bassy or even bass inclined. Jazz sounds great, but other music matches are varied.

1 Like

Will have a Mjolnir which is a hybrid beast on ~ 15th can let you know then. Iā€™m considering some 6xx nowā€¦but have never tried/had before.

1 Like

Spending the weekend with my 99 Classicā€™s and tube amp. I use my Schiit Loki with the tube amp to get a stronger bass. After a few hours with the Loki doing its thing, I switched to pass through. I think the 99ā€™s have enough bass to pull it off, for the most part.

Nice Saturday.

3 Likes

Took a chance on the Dekoni Sheepskin pads for the 99 Noir off Massdrop and added some Nuggets - wow. They keep the sound of the ā€œsmallā€ pads that come with the Noirs, but are way more comfortable. This is now one of the most comfortable, lightest headphones I own and Iā€™m re-enjoying them again.

4 Likes

I have been pad swapping for a quite a while, tried the Brainwavz sheepskin, pleather, velour and hybrid pads (angled and standard pad for each) and suede (standard only)

Whilst I found these were all an improvement on the stock pads, in the end my preference came down to the velour and suede pads. The velour were a little hot up top, quite bright actually whilst the bass is tamed and extremely mellow with no boominess. Separation was very good as well.

The winner in the end were the suedes, bass and treble seem spot on for me. Plenty of sub bass but not boomy at all and more importantly do not bleed into the mids (unlike the stock pads). Treble has nice shimmer, much better than stock and the velour. Overall a very warm tone, which is what I like and expect from a wood headphone. They are also very, very comfortable.

I am glad I read this chat because I was contemplating selling the Mezeā€™s because I havenā€™t been happy with the pads since I bought them (with the very, very original pads before they starting dicking around with them).

These now sit comfortably (pardon the pun!) along my Nighthawks, which are still my go to headphone but these are not far behind now Iā€™ve found some decent pads :+1:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a lot of pads!

1 Like

Apos has a nice white and silver version for pre-order:

It looks nice. Kind of a clean look.

1 Like