Meze Audio 109 Pro

Well, the 109 are bigger in terms of cup size. Hence the name. 109 refers to the diameter, just like the 99 refers to its diameter. It’s not really just a refreshed open back 99. None of the parts are shared between the two models. Maybe some screws. But everything else is proprietary to the 109. And if you don’t mind the build of the XS, more power to you. It’s a fantastic pair of cans like you said, and it really shakes up the price bracket it’s in. If you don’t care to spend more for better build, a huge jump in price makes no sense. I understand. It’s price to performance/materials and personal preference. If they don’t line up they don’t line up. Lol.

1 Like

Agreed! I personally loved the Hifiman 560, sound and feel and look wise. but after reading numerous reviews about the build quality and service issues, I didn’t pull the trigger on it

As long as its amazon im willing to give things a try, like the Xs- if the build feels too shoddy ill return it.

While its true Hifiman dont make the best stuff in term of build quality but most of their stuff sound great (proud owner of a 400SE, Sundara and Xs)

Aside from the 99 most of thier stuff have been out of my price range, this is just on the edge so im very curious

I am also an owner of the 400se. It’s probably one of the better built Hifiman out there. Not amazing, but it sounds great for its price and it’s basically a steal. Not the most comfortable for myself, 2 hours max. But I make due for its sound. I also didn’t mind the janky cable it came with that everyone had some issues with. It’s extremely light weight which makes it basically feel wireless.

1 Like

Its the same story with the Xs (its the same headband :smiley: )

1 Like

I’m not saying it’s exactly the same, just that meze themselves do sell a wood and metal headphone with a suspension band for $300, so the argument of “you’re paying more for the build” makes no sense, but who knows maybe the driver is worth the extra $500 over the 99s, if it’s closer to the clear than the 6xx it’d make sense…

You do make a fair point, it is similar in the fact it’s wood and metal and has similar designs and what not, its similarities are to retain the image of a Meze headphone, but that’s where the similarity stops. Proprietary parts require different moulds to be made and used, it does have better materials, and a newly proprietary driver. So yes it is still very much a “Meze”looking headphone, but it’s not just a 99 2.0. It’s not like a continuation of the 99 platform as some people will think, it is its own platform, just as the Liric is its own platform. If anything, the thing Meze is probably guilty of for huge price jumps is the Empyrean to the Elite. That is a nearly identical platform, aside from maybe a slightly improved driver and newly designed pads. The build and housing is still the same machining process, and I believe identical materials. The Elite is a continuation of the Empyrean, an Empyrean 2.0 if you will. Again, the significant price jump for a seemingly similar product seems huge from a consumer perspective, and I do wish it was about $200 CAD cheaper, and maybe the driver is that much better? But it does make some sense at the manufacturer standpoint.

After reading over my response, I realize it could be read as slightly sarcastic and condescending. I apologize if that is that case. That was not my intention, I’m just trying to convey information in whatever way I can. Sorry if it seems like I’m being slightly forward and aggressive. I assure you it is the complete opposite. :grin:

1 Like

The price has me a little befuddled as well, since the build quality looks nice but very similar to the 99 Classics.

I was going to pull the trigger on these but in DMS’s review he talked about how the top-end treble is airy but could border on being sibilant depending on the song was a huge red fleg for me. I’m one of the people that can’t listen to the DT770 for more than a few minutes without feeling like knives are being stabbed into my ears.

I would have to hear them on my setup to know if they worked for me but they would really have to sound amazing to justify an $800 price tag.

1 Like

I’ll let you know if the treble is an issue. I hear treble similarly. Hell the XS gets a little hot in the T and S sounds from time to time for me.

I also wish apos or one of the big online vendors did a pre order price like some of the shops did. I order mine for what I think is a steal.

If these get anywhere near the sound of an Elex it’ll be a huge win for enthusiast since you can’t trust focal or drop to uphold warranty issues…ask me how I know.

4 Likes

Drop some impressions after you had them a while, cause they could be my elex alternative because of those aforementioned problems with drop and focal especially here in Europe :wink:

1 Like

For sure! Man I I hate that no one will help source drivers. I have a $600 paperweight that I’ll never be able to do anything with, unless I get wild with driver transplants.

Yea that is a shame, I barely do any business with drop any more. Mostly because I’m in Canada and it doesn’t really make sense for most items now, but it’s just rare that anything worth the shipping and wait times and lack lustre warranty/repair dealings. Curious to read about your 109s when they do eventually come in. I’m hoping they will be better than an Elex or atleast worth it to have both. I also own a Focal, the Radiance, imo one of the better focals, just in terms of comfort, looks, build (aside from the unfortunate plastic grills…. :smiling_face_with_tear:) and sound. The 109s look to be extremely comfortable especially with those big new plush pads. So if they are are comfortable as they look, and sound as good or close enough to a Focal, maybe even a little more on the fun side, it’s a solid win for me.

2 Likes

Wonder if they will come out with a Drop 109 noir :smile:

Different pads and cup size on the 109 Pro than the 99 Classics.

Just because two headphones look similar doesn’t mean they sound the same. The Susvara has egg-shaped cups just like the XS. Does that mean they sound the same? Nope.

Eager for your impressions, man. Our ears sound similar.

I think we have really driven home the point that these are a completely different set of cans by now. But your point of similarity’s in design won’t always yield similar sonic results is valid in its own right.

1 Like

OMG I know they’re not the same, if you believe they cost Meze triple to manufacture compared to the 99s, power to you, they had to do R&D and create moulds for the 99s too, yet those were always around $300 they’re obviously making a much much bigger margin on the 109, if you think it’s worth it cool.

The fact is no one here knows the cost of designing new drivers, tuning them and the overall costs producing a headphone, regardless of how much was reused (particularly in a the current state of the world).

And even if they have larger margins what do you care as long as the product is worth it ?(those margins will probably be reallocated to make new stuff - R&D is some expensive shit)

Saying they are “too expensive” even before anyone has done a proper review of them (aside from some sort first impressions) makes zero sense. If after reviews and after the initial reception by consumers you want to call them out overly priced go ahead, that will be your thoughs on the matter

5 Likes

I will caveat that right now I don’t have my desktop gear and will most likely be using my ifi signature. This setup will inherently sound smoother than something like a A90 or a THX amp.

1 Like