Meze Audio 109 Pro

Difficult to say with B Stock, depends on if they were a return (if so they may have upgraded pads) or if they were from a normal conversion but not sold before, then they would likely come with the stock Fostex pads.

I hope you get the ZMF or the the new Xeon pads, both are great. The original Fostex T40 pads though… not so good >.<

If you have your own pads already, then the leather ones will enhance the bass even more, and suede or cloth covered pads will soften the bass somewhat. Q&A on the Mk 3 page goes over all that.

Either way, get some nice thick pads on there and that will help enhance the sound-stage.

I greatly look forward to hearing your comparison to the Meze 109 Pro! =) Don’t forget to tag me when you get to posting it please!~ =)

Will do my dude! And yeah I’m excited to get them in and see what they can do. With the pics Ryan had it looked like he has the big pads on them.

1 Like

I bought the hifiman ef400 because the r2r dac and its a very nice all in one unit! On the dynamics side i love my ndh 20 and 30! Make sense after the ef400 i want some good planars specially from hifiman! But i could not no pay attention on the 109 pro!So i bought them.I spent 5-6 hours with them and i said fuuuuuck!I am sure not thinking in planars from now! Perfect pairing with ndh 30! Neumann is warmer,about the same nice stage with maybe less detail!Meze more vivid,a little V shaped,more fun (ndh 30 is fun too)!2 different dynamics with MAGIC!If i blind tested the first time the meze’s and someone told me that was a planar i would believed him!I love the build the neumanns but that 109 pro build is more superior!!Ohh a important thing,the meze imaging better!No problem with the ndh 30 but on the meze its better audible,the imaging more fuck around with you🤍!

10 Likes

Any way to tame the treble?

If you watch Super Review’s video on YouTube, he recommended some sort of insert that helped.

What amp are you using with the 109s? I get pretty sensitive to treble and don’t seem to have any issues with the 109s.

1 Like

The RU6 always tempts me and I keep telling myself no lol.

Don’t do that, it’s worth every penny :bangbang:

Except with iPhone or iPad, which have various sound interruptions at higher volume due to the “overload protection”.

1 Like

I have my eyes on an RS6 (RS8 if I want a divorce lol) though :sob:

2 Likes

I used it with the Burson Funk and Asgard 3

Interesting neither of those amps I would consider neutral. Maybe I have a unicorn pair.

I have the A3 as well. Interested in your experience with it for the Meze 109.
Detailed enough or too much warmth, etc. iyo. Thanks.

The RS6 or N6ii are on my radar as well. I have to say though, the RU6 sounds VERY good and gives you a nice taste of that R2R goodness on the go for a lot less cash. I got mine mostly out or curiosity to hear how the sound compared to the desktop R2R DACs I’m familiar with, figuring it would be some watered down gimmick. I have to say, it hasn’t been that at all! The RU6 actually does give you that R2R tone and I think it’s worth every penny and then some. Just FYI.

2 Likes

Very pleasant sounding headphone. Bass has good extension. Mids are nice. Soundstage very spacious. Detail is good enough. Where this headphone lack is instrument separation and treble can be a little spicy on certain tracks.

1 Like

@JaVerde Thanks. Looks good. Treble won’t bother me, but instrument separation might, as I listen to a lot of full orchestra. I’ve seen other reviews too,
but have time to think about it more and try to hear one first.

Got talked into getting these lol, gotta say I ended up sitting with them for most of my day. Probably one of the most comfortable headphones I have topped with amazing timbre. Definitely made me a huge fan. I do have to say I think my only complaint is there is an ever so slight sibilant tone in certain vocals though but that so far has been my only potential negative. I am curious if the headband is replaceable to another brand as it seems very easy to remove.

2 Likes

I don’t really know what other brand you would be able to replace it with. I do know however that Meze has made these, along with many of their other models, to be completely serviceable and easy to remove and install repaired parts of need be. No glue or anything like that, just everything held in with screws and tension. Every part can be serviced.

Noticed that about it’s build… and I am extremely appreciative of that considering most companies definitely aren’t like that.

1 Like