Microphone Passthrough/Monitoring with DAC/AMP stack?

I have an E30 DAC and a Drop THX AAA 789 and the quality sounds excellent.
My issue is that I do a lot of voice call meetings on my computer and I find it difficult to speak when I can’t hear my voice, not sure why.

I’m using an old Blue Yeti USB microphone, which does have it’s own headphone monitor passthrough but I’d prefer to not have to switch my headphone source every time I have to use my mic.

I’ve also tried software way of applying the monitor passthrough from the mic to the E30 but there’s just enough delay that it actually makes it more difficult to speak.

I’m wondering if there’s a way besides replacing my whole DAC/AMP stack with a mixer of sorts that I can have some sort of hardware passthrough. I don’t mind having to get a new mic with XLR inputs, I just don’t want to lose the quality I have from my DAC/AMP stack.

Any thoughts?

You would want to go for a new mic + XLR interface to do what you are after. You could either grab an interface with a dac quality equal to the e30, or you could grab a cheaper interface and also grab a mixer and have both the e30 and interface be fed at the same time

2 Likes

Like @M0N said, no way to pull this off without buying a new mic.

You could then get an interface/mixer combo unit like the Yamaha AG03.

There you would connect your E30 into the 2/3 input and the 789 to the monitor out (with TRS 1/4" to XLR cables).

Cables required for this:
Two like this:

And a cable like this:

2 Likes

Yea I’ve been looking at interfaces but they usually replace the whole DAC/AMP stack which I’m trying to avoid.

Your 2nd suggestion is kind’ve where I’m leaning but I’m honestly not sure how I’d even set that up

Wow! Thanks @MazeFrame!
I think you answered my question to @M0N perfectly.
I’ll look into this! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup this is what I would suggest as well, it will do what you want very nicely, the ag03 is pretty great for the features it offers

1 Like

Slight additional question about the two 1/4" to XLR cables you mentioned.
Couldn’t I also use the Monitor Out RCA outputs to go to my 789?
Or would the special cables be preferred?

Also, is there an alternative to the AG03? The availability seems pretty slim in my country (Canada)
Hopefully I can special order it, but perhaps there’s something just as good available.

You could use the rca outs, but using the trs 1/4 inch to xlr will connect your ag03 in balanced to the thx rather than single ended

Yes, but you might have to step up to something larger size wise or more expensive. Or get an interface and a separate smaller passive mixer

RCA connection between mixer and headphone amp would also work, yes.

If you want an all-in-one like the AG03, the options are limited:

• Behringer Xenyx Q502 (Behringer, so quality is meh)
    - ART USB Mix (no experience with it, ART has been good to me though) manual is not clear if all 3 inputs get routed to USB#
  • ART USBMix4
  • Mackie BigKnob Studio
  • Soundcraft Notepad-5 (reviews are mixed, so take this as a “last resort”-option)

Or you get an interface (cheap one: Behringer UMC22, medium: Scarlett Solo) and connect that and your E30 to a mixer (Alto ZMX52, Mackie Mix5, etc.) wich then feeds the 789.

You would end up with a setup like I have

1 Like