đŸ”¶ MiM Audio Dark Magician

What is this revision? @nymz you have the OG?

1 Like

The one Ian has is the DM V2. OG is no longer sold.

Yes, we all have the OG, V2 just showed up. Im not sold by any means

1 Like

Personally I found the OG DM to be much more attractive sound colouring wise. Sure the new version is cleaner and more precise but it just doesnt have that special vocal sauce that the slight reverb and vocal thickness brings.

That being said its much easier to blind rec the V2 because of that if you dont know what they listen to.

1 Like

DM OG is end of the line material.

1 Like

Interesting choice from the maker. Not sure why the upper mids got squished.
@nymz your OG freq response is rather different to Ian’s in the treble region. Any idea why?

1 Like

Im not sure. Mine looks like everyone elses. Either its a coupler thing or he got a different version, I don’t know. Already asked for a manufacturer graph

1 Like

Looks like they removed a filter on the nozzle for the new one.

(the coupler peak aint aligned so take that into consideration.)

Does anyone know – if I bought my DM early March, would that be the OG or the V2?
EDIT: by my best guess, I have the OG.

Oh you have tried the revised edition yourself?

Yeah Ethenmusic7 the local distro and shill of the DM let me try both the orginal and revised version. I think the revised version is very good but its too generic and as I already have the Fiio FD7 there is no reason for me to get the DM, that being said its still a pretty easy rec if you dont need precise details.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Michael Bruce strikes again with these fantastic mods / EQs. Can’t afford the DM but I’m glad we’ve got a tinkerer like him in this hobby!

2 Likes

Just to update this after 3+ months using my Dark Magician (OG) and my L&P W2 (not the 131 version):

Its been very good. DMs are solid, no signs of wear or damage even though I fall asleep with them in my ears often. My only problem giving feedback for these is that I have limited experience with IEMs in general, and have only used a couple good DACs, and
 I only have one DAC or source device with a 4.4mm out. So I can only try the DM on my Samsung Note 10+ with my L&P W2 attached.

That being said, I love the DM. They smoke every other headphone, earbud, or IEM Ive tried. (haha Ive only tried one IEM) One of my favorite aspects, in addition to sound, still remains the fit – I like how the cable sits around my ear, over, and into my canal. They are rock solid in there even with walking or cycling. They dont work their way out of my ears, like all others have.

I love these! Cant wait to have more experience with which to compare them!

Over time, I have realized that there are headphones and IEMs that probably have a wider or more holographic soundstage, but in comparison to my DT 1990, Klipsch x10i, and other lower-end gear, the DM is very good. Bass hits heavy and does not distort, I feel no ear pain or fatigue from wearing them for a couple hours, all genres respond well to them including classical, rock & grunge, and even basic podcasts, and I feel like I might be able to pull even better sound dynamics out of them with a better battery/self powered DAC. The day I am able to try these out on another DAC, I will certainly post that experience.

2 Likes

An OG is up for sale. If I wasn’t as impressed as I am by the Vortex for single DD capabilities, I’d be very sore tempted to buy this and try to find a working fit all over again.

2 Likes

PM’d them. Fingers crossed. Not even going to bargain with them seeing they don’t come up much. Thanks for the heads up.

3 Likes

A chief reason I had to drop them was fit, but I can already see from exchanges that our ears are differently shaped. Hoping you’re first in line, and that they fit you fine too! They seem to fit most people no problem, if not extra well.

Ah it was a no go anyway. Super bummed.

1 Like

5 mins after posting
 RIP

Any ideas if tuning foam in the nozzle could make the revised version sound like the original?

Seems they just added some peaks in the mids that would need flattening?

Pssst @Rikudou_Goku