MMA, Boxing and combat sports thread

Poirier :fire:

Absolute banger! I rarely watch this free fights but this one, I pressed play :sunglasses:

1 Like

BOOM!..

:smile:

U turn and :zzz:

:fire:

Keith Richards looks younger and younger the older he gets!

2 Likes

Francis Ngannou putting Tyson Fury on his back on the canvas and getting a split decision has to be a big blow to Fury’s ego. Didn’t he say that this would be like the world ping pong champ playing Djokovic at Wimbledon before the match? I guess he was wrong on that one, huh? :joy::rofl:

1 Like

A definite blow to Fury’s ego, but there are three takeaways here.

One, don’t think for a second that many – if any – other MMA guys can replicate Ngannou’s success. One, Ngannou started as a boxer. He’s a better striker than nearly all MMA fighters.

Two, the unlimited weight of the heavyweight class helps Ngannou because he is a big, thick human. He weighed only 5 pounds less than Fury, and Fury always has struggled with big guys. Wilder is only 2 inches shorter than Fury, but he weighed in 40-50 pounds lighter. That’s why Fury toyed with Wilder except for the massive punch Wilder landed in their first fight. Wilder is a twig.

Finally, anyone who says Usyk should be a clear favorite in his upcoming heavyweight unification bout with Fury based on Fury’s terrible performance last Saturday needs to check themselves. One, Fury didn’t take this fight seriously and was out of shape. That won’t happen against Usyk. And again, Fury struggles against big guys. Usyk is a blown-up cruiserweight who probably only will weigh in the high 220s or 230s for this fight. Fury pushes around guys that size for fun in the ring.

This right here is the takeaway. Whether you’re the heavyweight champ or a dude in a bar fight, you cannot take an opponent with skills, size, and the desire to beat/hurt you anything less than serious. Fury acted liked he could walk into the ring with a well rounded fighter of equal size (and I would suggest probably greater strength in many areas) without being in fighting shape and have no problems.

TBH, I thought the fight was close, but I thought the decision should have gone to Ngannou. Fury’s ego should be bruised, but if he intends to restore his rep he better take this as a moment to learn the lesson I posted above and come out of this as a better, more motivated fighter. I don’t think this fight should really change much about folk’s predictions on the Usyk-Fury fight for a number of reasons one of which is that you have to think that Fury’s going to come out with something to prove and he’d be a fool to show up in the same fighting shape. There are more reasons, but those two along with the fight being against Usyk, who can’t and won’t replicate Ngannou’s style, should be more than enough to make people rethink putting their mortgage payments down on a Usyk win.

2 Likes

Lights out :zzz:

:+1:

1 Like

Can’t argue with that 2 x :trophy:

:fist_right: :zap::fist_left:

1 Like

:uk: :fist_right: + :leg::boom:

Haggerty again :fist_right: :leg::trophy: what a fight :+1:

:fist_right::zap::fist_left:

2 Likes

Wow… trading blows that look like each one should cause a concussion, but keeping a focus and countering… it’s a mad sport.

1 Like

Legendary fight. Dan Hooker is a legend

1 Like