Mobileaudiophile.com (MBA) Corner

Rose Technics Quite Sea is reviewed at MBA, by Pietro :arrow_down_small:

“The Rose Technics Quietsea is an example of a successful collaboration project between two brands. IKKO has put a well tested shell on it, and Rose Technics his newly developed driver with considerable potential. I believe it is now evident that sets with outstanding performance may be purchased even at reasonable costs. The performance of the models that were previously described in the review would no doubt satisfy many of the people who are reading it right now. I say this because, even if I now write reviews, I’m still just a regular user who enjoys listening to music when he desires to relax and temporarily forget about his issues. The Quietsea will certainly not bring tranquility to your soul, but they will certainly give you hours and hours of musical tracks rich in details. It is also currently among the best sub 50 USD in my collection.”

IEMs / Other In-Ear Monitors (IEM)

Discover the Colorfly CDA M1P, a compact portable DAC/AMP with analog, neutral, high-quality audio, supporting DSD512 and PCM768 formats.

DACs Portable DAC/AMPs & Dongles

Moondrop Dawn Pro review by Pietro at MBA :point_down:t2:

“ HI GUYS!

My Moondrop Dawn Pro Review is now live at MBA!:fire:

“For some time now, the dual CS43131 market has been saturated. Choosing the finest one, on the other hand, gets progressively challenging. The Moondrop Dawn Pro isn’t the greatest CS dongle, but for $50, it’s hard to beat.”

:green_heart: PROS:

• Build Quality

• Balanced output

• Warm sound (typical Cirrus) with slightly bright touch

• Removable cable

• Type c to USB adaptor

• Functional button for volume adjustment

• 100 independent volume steps

• Strong power

• Depth and definition are above average (better than other budget CS)

• Sturdy and light aluminium housing

• Moondrop link App

• Lowest price for Dual CS

:broken_heart: CONS:

• No physical Gain switch

• Volume rocker is a little loose

• Type C to Type C could be slightly better”

Portable DAC/AMPs & Dongles DACs Amps

3 Likes

Kiwi Ears Forteza is reviewed at MBA, by Mahir :point_down:

Balanced with a touch of bass, yet like a shining star in midrange with genereous treble. We thank Linsoul and Kiwi Ears for the sample.

Moondrop May is reviewed at MBA by Mahir Efe Falay, thanks to Moondrop and HiFiGo.

Rather than being an audiophile earphone, it is more of a casual earphone. Because of this, it has the potential to be an ideal present for your lady on February 14th.

PROS

• Planar Magnetic Sound: The earphones offer a planar magnetic sound, which is known for its accuracy and detail.

• Fun and Lively Sound Profile: The sound has huge bass and a sparkly treble, making it enjoyable for various music genres.

• Good Build Quality: The construction of the earphones is solid, ensuring durability.

• Comfortable Design: The Moondrop May features a design that is comfortable for long listening sessions.

• Nice Feeling Cable: The cable included with the earphones is of high quality and enhances the user experience.

• Convenience: The convenience of not needing a dongle for connection.

• Aesthetically Pleasing: The earphones have an attractive appearance.

CONS

• Resolution Not the Best in the Market: While the earphones handle complex musical structures well, their resolution is not the best compared to other products on the market. Even a Hexa can beat it down.

• May Not Satisfy Audiophiles: For those seeking an audiophile-level experience, the earphones might not be entirely ideal.

• Variability in Performance: The performance of the earphones can vary depending on the source and the cable used.

• Poor Software Support: I couldn’t find May as an option at Moondrop Link.

In-Ear Monitors (IEM)

Softears Twilight review by Mahir Efe Falay :arrow_down_small:

Twilight is the probably pinnacle of 1DD design. It did master at everything I threw at it. The major drawback is its price. But you know; you get what you pay. And for 2000 hours of R&D, it is well done :ok_hand: IMO

Pros:

Impressive Sound Quality: The Twilight delivers a rich, balanced sound with remarkable clarity in the midrange, showcasing its ability to accurately reproduce vocals and instruments.
Comfortable Fit: Despite its considerable size, the Twilight provides a comfortable fit in the ear, making it suitable for extended listening sessions without causing discomfort.
Build Quality: The Twilight’s build and design are of high quality, offering a premium feel that justifies its price point.
Smooth Treble: The treble in the Twilight is smooth and well-controlled, contributing to a detailed and natural listening experience without any harshness.
Warm and Detailed Bass: It offers a warm yet detailed bass that is pronounced but not overpowering, adding depth to the overall sound profile.

Cons:

Lack of Treble Sparkle: The smooth treble might lack a bit of sparkle, which some listeners may desire for added liveliness in the sound.
Below Average Passive Isolation: The Twilight’s passive noise isolation is not the best, which might be a drawback in noisy environments.
Price: Its higher price point may put it out of reach for some audiophiles, particularly those seeking more budget-friendly options like the Simgot EM6L or Simgot EA1000.

In-Ear Monitors (IEM)

3 Likes

AFUL SnowyNight here.

“ Aful SnowyNight ($109)

Dual CS43198 dac chips

Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing well. At the link above is my full written review of the Aful SnowyNight. The SnowyNight is actually Aful Audio’s first attempt at crafting a dongle dac and for all intents and purposes… they did a very fine job. I’ve honestly had a great time taking this little workhorse everywhere with me folks. Simply put, the SnowyNight sounds very good and should most certainly be on your short list of dongle dacs at or around $100.

The SnowyNight is built extremely well, is awesome to look at. It has high/low gain on the device itself. It can push up to 300 mw of output power, five sound filters too. Also, one thing which many brands have overlooked is the cable. Aful set out to provide a quality cable with the cleanest signal transmission they could muster and coincidentally it is also a selling point. That said, I should also mention the actual price is a huge selling point. My opinion of course. The SnowyNight is very clean, black background, neutral with the slightest hints of warmth and has very nice dynamic range with extension both ways. I think there’s a chance you will like this one.

So, if the Aful SnowyNight seems like something that you may want to get your hands on, please check out my review and then check out a few more while you are at it. I thank you in advance. Take good care, and stay safe everyone.

Comparisons: Moondrop Dawn 4.4 / Hidizs S9 Pro Plus

SnowyNight Pros :fire::fire::fire::fire:

-Price to performance
-Build Quality is premium, from the type-c cable to the unit itself
-Gorgeous design
-Improved USB type C cable for cleaner signal transmission
-Volume buttons, low/high gain, sound filters
-Comfortable volume steps
-Very low noise floor, black background for even sensitive iems
-Clean and resolving
-Very dynamic sound
-Balanced across the mix
-Nice neutral & smooth sound
-Punchy and decisive low-end
-Midrange has nice note weight
-Good extension both ways for a dongle dac
-Nice mix of musical and technically adept
-Nothing offensive added to my listening experience

SnowyNight Cons :cold_face::cold_face:

-Not as technically crisp and detailed as some may like
-Not much explanation given for the sound filter operation
-I don’t find any other cons for me @ $109

Portable DAC/AMPs & Dongles

1 Like

64 Audio Duo is reviewed at MBA, by Mahir Efe Falay

I’ve become a devoted fan of 64 Audio The moment I put on Duo, I was captivated by the sheer clarity and realism of the sound. It was like hearing my favorite songs for the first time, with every detail and nuance unveiled in a way I’d never experienced before.

The soundstage is so expansive that it feels like I’m right there in the studio with the artists. And the bass—oh, the bass!—is deep and powerful without ever overpowering the other frequencies. It’s the perfect balance of richness and precision. I can listen for hours without any fatigue, thanks to their innovative Apex pressure-relief system. And the ergonomic design ensures a comfortable, secure fit that stays in place even during my most active workouts. I’ll admit, their IEMs aren’t the cheapest on the market, but to me, they’re worth every penny. The sound quality and comfort are simply unmatched.

Pros:

– Rich Details and Wide Stage Presentation: 64 Audio Duo lets you experience music as a three-dimensional space, allowing you to feel every note and harmony more vividly than ever before. This is especially evident in musical genres with complex arrangements and wide dynamic ranges.

– Deep and Controlled Bass Response: Duo perfectly balances depth and control in bass frequencies. This ensures that the bass provides a solid foundation without overpowering the mix, so details are not overshadowed.

– Natural Midrange and Clear Trebles: Midrange provides a natural stage for vocals and instruments, while the clarity and detailed presentation of the trebles reveals the richness and texture of the sound. This is ideal for vocal-focused music and listeners who value high frequency detail.

– Unique Design and Long-Term Comfort: Duo’s ergonomic design provides a comfortable experience even during long-term use. This is important for everyone, from professional musicians to casual music listeners.

Cons:

– High Price Point: Duo’s premium features come with a high price tag. This can be a disadvantage for users who are looking for budget-friendly alternatives or who pay particular attention to the price-performance ratio.

– Bass-Heavy Sound Signature: Duo’s sound profile puts emphasis on bass frequencies. While this may be an advantage for users who like bass, it may not be suitable for those looking for a more balanced sound or those who prefer treble frequencies.

– Fit Issues Due to Ear Structure: Although the Duo’s design is comfortable for most users, it may not be a perfect fit for everyone, depending on ear structure. This is an especially important factor for users with different ear types and sizes.

– Sound Signature Preferences: Duo’s sound signature can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on personal preferences. The subjective nature of the sound profile requires users to evaluate the Duo based on their own musical tastes and listening habits.

https://mobileaudiophile.com/in-ear-earphones-iem-iems-reviews/64-audio-duo-review/ In-Ear Monitors (IEM)

2 Likes

IMG_7524

Kontinum Ulim is reviewed. Check it out!

I have to admit that it can dare Simgot EA1000 or put shame into Simgot EM6L’s reputation :slight_smile: Pros_

1. High-Quality Audio Performance: The Ulim impresses with its dynamic drivers and 2-way crossover system, delivering rich, detailed sound that can please even the most discerning audiophiles. Its ability to handle a wide range of genres with finesse is a significant plus.

2. Innovative Design: With a focus on redefining the in-ear experience, the 3D spatial sound chamber offers an immersive listening session, setting the Ulim apart from many competitors.

3. Build Quality and Materials: The use of a silver-plated Oxygen-Free Copper (OFC) cable and precise connectors underlines Kontinum’s commitment to durability and signal integrity. The earphones not only sound great but are built to last.

4. Prestigious Legacy: Coming from James Lee, a figure with a proven track record in the audiophile community by iriver, hence A&K, the Ulim carries an expectation of quality and innovation that it largely lives up to.

5. Versatile Soundstage: The expansive soundstage and precise imaging make for an engaging listening experience, whether you’re enjoying classical, jazz, rock, or electronic music.

Cons_

1. Price Point: Given the high-end features and pedigree, the Ulim might come with a price tag that’s steep for casual listeners or those on a tight budget.

2. Power Requirements: The earphones’ need for a substantial power source to unlock their full potential means they might not pair as well with lower-powered devices without an amplifier.

3. Complexity for Casual Listeners: The detailed sound and sophisticated design might be more appreciated by audiophiles than casual listeners who prefer a plug-and-play approach.

4. Fit and Comfort: While the inclusion of three different sizes of ear tips is thoughtful, the fit might still not be perfect for every ear shape, potentially affecting comfort during long listening sessions.

5. Limited Availability: As a debut product from a new company, there might be initial limitations in availability or distribution, making it harder for interested buyers to get their hands on the Ulim.

In-Ear Monitors (IEM)

1 Like

Dita Project-M review is at MBA, by Chris

Finally, we get to the sound. It is usually a chore getting to this point in any of my reviews, but I found this one was a bit different. I was joyful through the whole process of discovering this set. Still, it is the sound that we are here for in the end. The Project-M are almost perfectly neutral with subtle shades of warmth down low and hints of brilliance up top. Maybe an ever-so-slight V-shape. I could see folks describing this as slightly U-shaped as well. I actually probably lean more towards U-shaped. What I hear is a transparent sound with slightly dialed back dynamics but a very clean sound that satisfies each area of the mix in a beautiful way. Each 3rd of the mix is precisely tuned to bring out each area’s sonics in a clean and monitoring type style. Even though I hate to call it that. There is such a melodic quality that “monitor-ish” doesn’t do it justice in my eyes. There is no one area of the mix which overtakes another. The balance is wonderful!

Project-M Pros

-Build Quality is fantastic

-The design is one of the best I’ve ever seen and very unique

-Unboxing experience

-That cable is really great (modular cable with 3.5/4.4 connections)

-Almost perfectly balanced and expressive sound

-Lean-lush note weight with good density

-Bass hits with the perfect amount of decay, weight and impact

-Midrange is just… Nice

-Treble offers a nice balance of musicality and technical chops

-Detail Retrieval

-Imaging

-Stage is great folks!

Project-M Cons

-May not be as dynamic of a presentation as some would like

-Some folks will yearn for more boom in the bass

-Comes alive with more output power

-May be a hair too bright at times (I’m reaching with this one)

-I can’t find anything else folks, this is a great set

In-Ear Monitors (IEM) IEMs / Other

2 Likes

Simgot EA500LM is just reviewed at MBA by Mahir Efe Falay :arrow_down_small:

In conclusion, the Simgot EA500LM is another proof to the brand’s commitment to excellence in audio engineering and design. From the moment of unboxing to the detailed examination of its cable and construction, the EA500LM combines quality and sophistication. It’s an earphone that not only meets the expectations set by its premium packaging but exceeds them with its superior build and sound performance. For audiophiles seeking a blend of aesthetic elegance, comfort, and auditory brilliance, the Simgot EA500LM is a choice that promises to enrich your listening experience, making every note and nuance of music a discovery worth discovering.

Pros:

Clear, bright sound profile
Wide soundstage
Detailed treble and solid low-end
Easier to drive
Comfortable fit

Cons:

May require specific pairing
Bass might be too tactile for some
Highs can be too prominent for certain genres

4 Likes

Oriveti OD200 is reviewed at MBA, by Mahir Efe Falay

In my experience with the Oriveti OD200, I found its sound to be detailed and nuanced, largely due to the Be-Coated 9.8mm Dynamic Driver. The wide frequency range and sensitivity ensure a broad and dynamic auditory experience, although I noticed that the performance might be somewhat limited on high-powered equipment due to its 16 Ohm impedance. The bass, while not overpowering, provided a solid foundation to the music, and the midrange and treble were clear and detailed, enhancing the overall listening experience across various genres.

Comparing the OD200 with other models like the Simgot EA1000 and Kiwi Ears Cadenza, it became apparent that the OD200 offered better instrument separation and a more realistic vocal reproduction. The dual nozzle option allowed for some customization of the sound profile, which I found beneficial for tailoring the listening experience to my preferences. Despite its strengths, I remained mindful of its high sensitivity, which demanded careful volume control to avoid potential hearing damage. Overall, my neutral stance on the OD200 acknowledges its excellent sound quality and versatile features, while also considering the practical limitations related to its impedance and sensitivity.

2 Likes

Letshuoer Cadenza 4 is reviewed by Mahir Efe Falay

Exploring the nuanced audio landscape, the Letshuoer Cadenza 4 stands out for its precision and detail, particularly in bass and treble, although high gain settings can overly enhance trebles. Compared to Kinera Freya 2.0 and Simgot EA1000, it offers a closer, more immersive experience, though with a more restrained low end. The Cadenza 4’s technical competence and soundstage expansion, especially with different cables, provide a varied and rich listening experience, reflecting its engineering quality.

Pros:

• Precise bass

• Clear midrange

• Crisp treble

• Detailed soundstage

• Good noise isolation

Cons:

• Bass may lack depth

• Treble can be sharp at high volumes

• May not fit all ear types comfortably

2 Likes

Meze Audio Advar is reviewed by Mahir Efe Falay

The Meze Audio Advar is an in-ear monitor with a 10.2mm dynamic driver and a stainless steel chassis, offering a U-shaped sound signature with notable bass response and performance control. It is priced at $699, reflecting its positioning as a higher-end product in Meze Audio’s lineup. Good build quality and sound performance, with an ergonomic design that might appeal to serious listeners looking for quality sound in a portable format.

Pros:

1. High resolution: Meze Advar delivers music with rich details.

2. Wide soundstage: The Advar offer a wide and deep soundstage, providing a realistic experience in live recordings.

3. Detailed and analytical: The Advar emphasize details and instrument nuances.

4. Treble success: High frequencies are presented richly and detailed, successfully conveying the nuances of instruments like the piano.

Cons:

1. Bass performance: Advar’s bass performance is limited, and bass may lag behind in some songs.

2. High power requirement: The headphones require high sound levels and a powerful source, limiting portable use.

3. Tonal balance: The headphones’ focus on midrange and treble may cause tonal balance issues for some users.

4. Weak 3D imaging: The headphones are not strong in 3D sound and can be improved in this area.

5. Capricious structure: A high-quality source like the DX320 is hardly enough to satisfy sound quality.

2 Likes

Moondrop Golden Ages: 1979 is reviewed at MBA, by Mahir Efe Falay

Just reviewed the Moondrop Golden Ages TWS: Exceptional clarity & balanced sound with planar drivers. Vocals are crystal clear, bass is smooth & controlled, mids are lively, and trebles finely detailed. Though the soundstage could be wider, the overall audio quality is impressive. Perfect for those who appreciate nuanced sound and vocal detail!

In-Ear Monitors (IEM)

1 Like

Kiwi Ears x Crinacle - Singolo is reviewed at MBA, by @cee_luh_78

"I haven’t had such a hard time writing a review in quite a while. I’ve been so conflicted during this whole process. Do you know that there were nights that I felt the Singolo was flat out awesome? Also, there were plenty of times I was wondering what it was that I was smoking. That’s what the Singolo has been for me. However, in the end, when all is said and done… the Singolo simply isn’t one of the top tiers iems, for me. There are too many good to great sets that can be had for the same price and even lower. It’s a good iem, it’s a fun iem, but it’s also got some subjective gripes that I personally can’t unhear which drops it below those “best under $100” iems. "

2 Likes

Fiio Q15 has been reviewed by Chris :arrow_down_small:

"What’s up? At the link above is my full written review of the Fiio Q15. The Q15 happens to be Fiio Audio’s latest Bluetooth dac amp and one that I personally consider the best you can purchase under $500. Truly a special device that should fit perfectly in the lives of many hobbyists here. Superb functionality, many features, robust build, and a slick design couples perfectly with the Fiio Q15’s top-shelf sound quality. The Q15 has a ton of power (1.6w) under the hood and is a true joy to listen to. This is a nice unit folks.

If you are in the market for a very capable and very well done dac/amp roughly within the same price point as the Q15 then I would implore you to at least check this device out. Also, maybe check out my review while you’re at it. I hope it is helpful to you. Beyond that, have a great rest of your weekend everyone! Take care!"

:musical_note::+1: Q15 Pros :fire::fire::fire:

-Build Quality
-Design and functionality
-Overall sound quality
-Very nice technical abilities
-Output power is fantastic
-Battery life is great for a dac/amp of its size
-Features
-Bluetooth works flawlessly
-Fiio App

:musical_score: Q15 Cons :cold_face::cold_face:

-The Q15 is beefy if used for stacking (not an issue for me)
-Glass breaks (I know first hand)
-There aren’t any other real cons, this device is awesome

Full written review of the Fiio Q15 here: Fiio Q15 Review

DACs Headphone Amps

5 Likes

Penon Quatto is reviewed at MBA

The Penon Quattro offers a nuanced audio performance with a strong emphasis on bass and vocals, ideal for atmospheric listening in intimate settings. Its weaknesses in treble response and fit may deter those looking for an all-purpose audio solution or for use with more lively, high-treble tracks. Nevertheless, for those seeking rich vocal reproduction and controlled bass in quieter, more romantic settings, the Quattro might just strike the right chord. Its technical prowess in 3D imaging and soundstage broadness adds to its allure, making it a specialized choice for the discerning listener.

Pros

• Warm and bassy sound signature
  • Good isolation
  • Quality construction
  • Rich midrange
  • Comprehensive accessory package

Cons

• Fit issues for some users
  • Soft treble response
  • Limited genre versatility
  • Relatively expensive
  • Limited soundstage expansiveness

[Official] IEMs / Other In-Ear Monitors (IEM)

1 Like

Great review! Would there be any benefit getting one of these if I already have the Q7?

Thank you for the appreciation! I wish I could help, but I didn’t hear it before :frowning:

1 Like