šŸ”· Modhouse ARGON MkIII

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. A few questions:

• Do the classics have any sound stage?
  • As far as imaging and detail, how well do the Classics work in those regards?
  • I know the Argonsā€™ bass bleeds into the mid-range some. Is that the same on the Classics?

As Iā€™m starting to get more into this hobby, my taste is definitely starting to refine. Iā€™ve found I like a much more detailed headphone with great imaging than one with a massive sound stageā€¦if I had to pick. Obviously, I would want both in the best of worlds but itā€™s hard to find a headphone that is great at everything that doesnā€™t completely break the bank.

Mine just arrived 2 days ago. Iā€™m still getting used to them. Powering them balanced off of a THX 789 and Grace SDAC. Big soundstage, deep subbass. A little hot around 10khz, and occasionally sibliant. Also voices have a bit of a muffled sound like if you set the crossover on your subwoofer too high and you can make out the bass notes of a voice, sort of like bass bleeding into the mids or something. Sound a bit better after eq -3db at 10 kHz and -5db at 166hz, and +4db at 3khz and +2db at 6800hz. Iā€™m currently burning them in with pink noise, weā€™ll see if anything changes

Josh Valour did comparisons of T50RP mods. Canā€™t remember if the classics weā€™re included but Iā€™m pretty sure he has at least 3 of them (t50rp mods) compared.

Topping DX3 Pro powers them really well.

1 Like

He did and he basically concluded the Argons was the one he would choose for a number of reasons. Link below.

2 Likes

No problem mate, always willing to share my thoughts.

You can check out my Classic review here

1. From my review - ā€œFinally, sound-stage is, well, awesome. Very close to the Argon MK3 (if I had to put a number on it, itā€™d be ~15% smaller); spacious enough so that you feel entirely surrounded by the music with room to breath. However, the sound-staging of the Classic appears to be very circular, even, and large whereas that of the Argon is extremely wide left and right, but not as deep as the ZMF is front to back.ā€

2. Imaging is really good, as with pretty much all t50rp mods. Not quite as good as the Argons though as the ZMF use more frontal damping. Detail is there but not amazing.

3. The ZMF Classic have a mid bass elevation with a slow roll of into the mids. While this is certainly a bleed into the mids, the midrange is forward so it does not detract from vocals et cetera which are pushed back slightly with the argons. Bass is also more ā€˜overpoweringā€™ and less tight on the Argons versus the ZMF.

These are all my opinions, I try to only talk about things that Iā€™ve heard when I have objective evidence to back my theories

The Argons are indeed very interesting and fun sounding
And if youā€™re not an Audiophile they can be a great daily headphone for some genres of music

But if youā€™re a true enthusiast when it comes to musical fidelity, the actual t50rp driver made by Foster is very flawed.

They canā€™t do Subbass
The 30hz sine wave measurement is very unnatural
The driver is slow and never settles showing that itā€™s not properly dampened (look at the impulse response)
The bass distortion at 90db is massive and at 100db it rattles so much that itā€™s unusable
The highs are either super shrill stock or veiled in mods

If you havenā€™t heard anything better than HD598s theyā€™re fun but compared to true Audiophile headphones theyā€™re a joke

Now those are my impressions of the stock T50rp mk3s
But most of these issues cannot be resolved with any dampening modifications

1 Like

This is my setup (one of them, at least). My only complaint is that the Topping is longer and doesnā€™t stack well- the back feet hang off the back of the Atom.

Thatā€™s why I have the Atom on top :slight_smile:
Plus the Atom is lighter, so it seems to naturally fit better there.

Iā€™m not sure my OCD could handle that.

2 Likes

Haha! Thatā€™s how mine is. I like it much better than the back end sticking out. Plus, I like the less heavy item on top.

So our OCD is just different then?? :grin:

1 Like

How long was the wait? Iā€™m 10 weeks in and no update yet.

They arrived in exactly 11 weeks for me

From what Iā€™ve read, most are getting their Argons after the 9 week target.

What pads you guys prefer with the Argons Mk3? Ryan offers multiple pairs but no recommend one of the ZMF pads.

Or any other pads you guys have experiment with the Argons.

Protein seem to be the most recommended across the boards.

2 Likes

From what Iā€™ve read the proteins are gonna be closest sounding to the MKII argons

1 Like

How do they sound on tubes?

You probably wouldnā€™t want to tube them. They are already a pretty warm headphone.