šŸ”· Modhouse ARGON MkIII

Am expecting a pay raise and considering buying the Argons

My question is, should I hold off until the T60 Argons start to go out? Has anybody heard those if thatā€™s possible?

1 Like

It depends what you want. The T60s will have less bass and will be more analytical and detailed. T50 Argons are a very ā€œfunā€ headphone. The bass is a little too bloaty for me but others really enjoy it. Itā€™s obviously still a great headphone, and does detail retrieval and soundstage well, but Iā€™m not a fan of bass bleeding into the mids.

At Thanksgiving, I want as much food on my plate as possible smothered in gravy. Everything mixed together in one big heaping pile of heart attack waiting to happen! But when it comes to headphones, I used divider plates. I want my bass, my mids and my treble separate and precise.

1 Like

Iā€™m on week 5 if the wait with mine, so I canā€™t speak first hand about the sound signature. But I purchased these as a ā€œfunā€ set. I already own analytical headphones, and more portable cans. These are fun! Fun story behind them, fun because theyā€™re modded, fun studio oriented looks and a fun sound signature. I want Thanksgiving!!

1 Like

Iā€™m eyeing them primarily for the reportedly crazy soundstage. So Iā€™m guessing more analytical = less soundstage

No. They donā€™t have much do to with each other. Also, the soundstage is crazy for a CLOSED headphone, but the soundstage still doesnā€™t compare to most open-back headphones.

Iā€™m guessing the soundstage will be near the same.

I sent my Massdrop version of Fostex T50-RP MKii in February. I got them back the beginning of May. I had Ryan install a mini TRRS wired balanced port and got a periapt cable. OHMIGAWD! (it could have just been the anticipation coloring my experience). Whatever I connected these to left me ecstatic . Fostex HPA4BL,
fIIO MKII, Earstudio 100 and my beloved LG V20 all have me smiling.

Music is life!

3 Likes

Off topic then, but is there a consensus around here about your go-to headphones for peak soundstage? Closed or otherwise

AKG k712 has a massive soundstage with detail for days. And itā€™s about the same price as the Argons. Though you can easily find the k712 used for around 200 on r/avexchange and headfi.

1 Like

12 weeks in now.:sleepy:

Hi, I have an offer on hand for used T-X0 (not the version II ofcourse :wink: ). I also have access to buy used mk3. But I am in two minds and donā€™t know which one is better to be sent to Modhouse. Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

For information on me, I currently own HD6xx and listen to Bollywood music (party music, vocals and classical etc )

The Mk3 is great but the Mk2 was always the better can to mod. I think that one would be much harder to get in the future. The Mk3 will be around for a while.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the reply Zeos!

Are the mk3s not more detailed that mk2s and then the Argons would accordingly be more detailed?

From my understanding of it, the MK2 are true Argons and the MK3 are as close as possible to what the original design was in sound signature

Hi,

With the mk2 version, it would be helpful to understand what would be the difference between the Oval Lambskin (recommended by Modhouse) and Ori lambskin pads?

Thanks

After an eternity my balanced argon mk 3 have arrived.

5 Likes

Nice! I am still waiting. :frowning:

Took a little over 13 weeks. Hang in there.

Not at all. The mk2 argons are better than the mk3 argons as well.

Iā€™m at 8 weeks and 2 days since I ordered. But whoā€™s counting?

Iā€™m strongly considering picking these up to finish (I fucking hope, anyway) my collection. I need a set of closed backs. My main concern at this point is the fact that everyone talks about how hard these are to drive, and I, despite having some nice headphones, donā€™t own any that are hard to drive. So I know basically nothing about impedance and sensitivity and so on. I recently bought the Monoprice THX 788 desktop dac/amp. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m using, and thatā€™s all I have. I wanna assume that should cover it but for the sake of certainty Iā€™d appreciate it if one of you educated individuals could enlighten me.