🔶 Monoprice Monolith M1060

This is the official thread for the Monolith M1060 This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Over Ear
  • No Amp needed
  • Open Back

:red_circle: HifiGuides Amazon link

Reviews…

Z Reviews

Metal571

1 Like

Since any discussion about one will inevitably include the other, could this please be the official thread for the Monolith M1060 and M1060C?

For the same reason, the same might be a good idea for the M565 and M565C when that thread is created.

My beloved M1060C was allegedly molested my @DMS an now attends a support group.

1 Like

I am probably the only human that did not like these. I bought these (v2) from Amazon. These were to supplement some JBL’s I had. I have always like planer and panel speakers having heard and loved Magnipan speakers. I was expecting the effortless, sound of planer speakers to transfer into phones. When I had the money try these I was excited and had high expectations. Regardless of build quality I wanted to like them. They just did not have the sound I wanted. These are not 3 dimensional and just average sounding. I returned them days before the 30 day return limit. I got Sennheiser HD650’s instead. MUCH happier. I do not think there was a defect, I just was not impressed. I would like to try other planers some day. Love my HD650’s

1 Like

Agreed. It’s like a big wall of sound, which can be great, but not when you’re a gamer listening for directional things.

1 Like

I bought these when they first came out, was pretty underwhelmed by them. I have to give credit to Monoprice for letting me exchange them for the revision 2 of them (the mmcx connectors really were garbage) but honestly I’ve probably only listened to them for a few hours. (Whenever I get a new pair of cans I tend to burn them for about a week before I use them)

Never sat right with me. I should probably sell 'em. Should probably sell a bunch of the other entry level phones I have…it’s too much of a PITA though.

1 Like

M1060 was my first planar and my introduction to planar bass. For that alone it will always have a special place in my heart. Despite its flaws, I had many hours of great listening with them. I didn’t like that the vocals had an odd honk to them at times, like I was hearing them down a corridor or through a doorway. I tried the paper towel mod, which improved vocal intimacy but reduced soundstage width. Also that headband drove me mad! Still, I kinda wish I’d kept them for old times sake and to refer back to.

1 Like

I’m looking at a pair of m1060c and perhaps an xduoo xp-2 amp. I used to have Fostex th-x00 and an oppo ha-2. Will I be disappointed?

I also went from the TH-X00 to the M1060s. I was a little disappointed at first, but they are very good. They’re a little dark, but we all buy several pairs of headphones to experience different things. The closed back version might be more up your alley. Personally, they had a little too much treble for me, but I have sensitive ears. Your mileage may vary.

Just bought the monolith m1060 for $120 with 10hr of use. Is going to be my first planar magnetic headphones, let’s see how it goes.

1 Like

I’d really like to know, since I’m interested in buying them.

just wait for the m1070.

Did anyone here mod/switch the headband for comfort reasons? I’m thinking of either the ZMF pilot pad or an Audeze headband, thoughts?

The zmf pilot pad works great, but only if you have a larger head, because you need to have it near the top. I actually took the fake leather headstrap off and swapped it for a hifiman headstrap and it worked.

Got a link by any chance?

So I just took the strap from a cracked hifiman headband, but here is the link. You might be able to find them cheaper. I don’t know if the entire headband portion would be able to support m1060 cups since I just used the headband

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/the-newly-enhanced-comfort-headband.html

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/hybrid-headband.html

1 Like

Interesting, can you measure the distance between the pins for the Hifiman and compare to the m1060? Might be a good way to improve what’s imo the worst aspect of the m1060.

About 4 and 1/4 inches on the m1060 and 4 and 1/8 inches on the he560 v1. I had actually just sold my m1060, but I did have measurements I took before. I think the headband could easily be swapped, but I did not try it. I also think the clamp will be to tight on the hifiman headband because the hifiman headband was not made to accommodate such large pads

Opening my modified M1060C for the first time* for a minor repair, here’s how it looks. Not in the photo is the thin foam on the underside of the cups, which may be stock.

*[Not modified by me, but (allegedly) @DMS]

The 1060c is on sell for $218.55. I am tempted to get one. I do not have any closed backs. I have been looking for a good closed back that can use a balanced cable. I am thinking that this might be it.

Be aware that this is a darker headphone from what i hear. and a lot of people dont care for it. You may want to mod it too. But for this price a large planar headphone like this might be pretty nice. what is your budget?