Need help finding the best PLANAR's I can get for $350

Just curious, why do you include ones that you disliked or no longer want?

So I know and can remember what was wrong with them, and so other people can see what I thought about them.

3 Likes

While good headphones no doubt, I do think the Argons are the most overrated headphones out there right now. They are more niche than people would have you believe. The detail loss is a dealbreaker for me.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s only a t50 driver and there’s only so much you can do with it. It’s good for people transitioning to nicer headphones, but imo the price and the wait are deal breakers. They do do something special, but overall it’s not worth it if it’s your only headphone

2 Likes

I worry about amazon lol. With everybody returning stuff are they gonna someday cut us off?

2 Likes

Doubt it, they cut individuals off not the whole thing otherwise it would be an uproar

so how much can i get away with?

not much, if you return like 5 things without keeping anything they will cut you off

If you haven’t made a purchase yet, i’d settle on the Thieaudio Phantoms. I enjoy them as much as my $3000.00 cans. But you need to mod them. These are better tasting then the Avia. Mods are easy to do.

1 Like

When they’re sorted/modded they’re a very good $350 headphone that punches well above it’s price point imho…$3k wise well that’s beyond my pay scale but that doesn’t diminish anything I enjoy about these headphones…really not sure what DMS had against them???

I can’t believe DMS did any of the proper mods. If I stated I enjoy them as much as my more expensive headphones I must have done something right. DMS claims to have but people who didn’t like them started to once they moded the headphone. I can grant that buying something that didn’t sound good out of the box needing mods is a problem. I won’t be selling these and I’m happy that I purchased them before they changed to the new carrying case. All my headphones have audeze style carrying cases.

It’s amazing for once to witness, share/be apart of a community that has worked together to get the most out of at the end of the day is a cheapish Chifi headphone that puts my valve driven 660’s on the ropes a lot of the time…FACT

2 Likes

The chi fi iem market has really gotten large and now they’re trying their hand at headphones, wonder how it will turn out later on

Let’s not declare subjective options as fact :upside_down_face: But glad you feel that way :+1:

1 Like

Let’s not declare subjective options as fact :upside_down_face: But glad you feel that way :+1:

Indeed :+1: love that statement when there appears to be no ‘sic’ facts when it comes to personal audio appreciation my bad :joy:

I have settled on the phantoms, they blew the sundara and the M1060C’s out of the water. Just wish I could try the Verum One’s without having to wait 9 months.

1 Like

Nice, well hope you enjoy them :+1: Just curious, what caused them to blow out the m1060c and sundara for you? Want to go hear a phantom and see what everyone is talking about

1 Like

M1060C’s hurt my head, my ears and my face with stock everything. Would take far to much modding to make them good. Oh and the fucking headband on the M1060C can suck my fat ass, that has got to be the worst design in all of mankind. The Sundara’s are good out the box, I used the wrong wording for the sundara, the sundara is good, in fact I have yet to return it (I have already returned the M1060C’s), But the phantoms with new foam and ZMF Oval Suede earpads have better base than the sundara’s. I have not returned the sundara’s yet because over the past few days I have noticed that the Sundara’s are trading blows with the phantoms modded. In case you can’t see were this is going, I actually changed my mind about what to keep, the phantoms with the mods are out of my price range coming in at $400, and at this point I can’t justify an extra $50 for a pair of headphones that has to be modded just to be listened too and still trades blows with $350 hifiman sundaras that are great stock. The phantoms have better bass and soundstage than the sundaras.

2 Likes

Gotcha, I enjoyed the sundara and the only thing I thought it was lacking in is bass like you mentioned, and the headband didn’t work as well for my head because of the lack of rotation in the cups, but otherwise I thought they are a great planar that you can come to appreciate. You might be able to eq a bass boost that might help a bit. I might check out the phantoms eventually (a nice well modded pair) but for now that kinda confirms my suspicions about them. Well hopefully you enjoyed the experience lol and happy listening

I’d be happy to send my Phantoms over to you to try (all mod stuff too) but I don’t think you’re UK based?

Nah, I don’t want to inconvenience you since I live in the US and shipping can be expensive, plus its yours and I don’t want to risk anything happening lol, but thank you for the offer