Need some advice (HP-3 / HD800S + dac/amp)

Hi all,

Registered just now to get some input from this community after seeing a couple of Z’s reviews on youtube.

tl;dr background
・Thinking of getting HD800S as end-game with Schitt Jotunheim or Bifrost + Valhalla
・Live in Japan so shipping, tax, cost of voltage converter is a hassle
・Was choosing between Fostex HP-A4BL, Marantz HD-DAC1, TEAC U-505 which I can get locally
・Saw Z’s video and am now also interested in HP-3 + Heritage amp/dac

Questions

1. Where can I even get a HP-3 and/or Heritage amp/dac?
  2. How does it compare to something like the Meze Classic 99?
  3. Is the headband bearable for 2~3 hour listening sessions or would I need the Dekoni Nuggets?
  4. Are these viable for casual gaming due to the semi-open design?
  5. Do they benefit from preparing a balanced cable?
  6. What other amp/dacs do you recommend for the HP-3?
  7. Any comments on the HD800S + amp/dacs I mentioned above are greatly appreciated as well!

Looking forward to any comments!

____Long background below____

I am currently looking for an end game setup and was originally centering it around the HD800S, as last time I tried them (I think around 3~4 years ago), they were quite comfortable, sounded great (can’t remember the amp/dac it was connected to), and looked great.

So, with the headphone set in place, I was asking on the all-too-familiar other forum recommendations for amps/dac that go well with the HD800S.

I was initially almost set on the Schiit Jotunheim or Bifrost + Valhalla, but after considering taxes, shipping, and the need of a transformer (I live in Japan), I am now leaning towards something I can get locally; as mentioned in the linked thread above, a Fostex HP-A4BL, Marantz HD-DAC1, or TEAC U-505.

I was still asking for suggestions other than the above but then I came across Z’s reviews.
After going through a bunch of them because the insight he provides is very helpful, one particular review (I believe the HD820?) stuck out at me where he describes the 800 series as the “swiss army knife of headphones”.

During that monologue, he points to some of his headsets that beat the 800s in specific categories and one of them in particular caught my eye; the Klipsch HP-3.

His description of it as a fun can as well as just the design intrigued me so I went ahead and watched his review of the HP-3 and the closeups as well as his review pulled me in even closer (although I am more into the Ebony version).

Just as I was thinking what amp/dac would pair nicely with this, I see the Heritage amp/dac as a recommended video and my god I clicked it right away due to the beauty of the amp/dac.

I then proceeded to do some research on the HP-3 but to my surprise, there isn’t much info on it on any US forums nor Japanese forums. Same with the amp/dac! I can only find one place in Japan that even sells these, can’t find any in the US!

1 Like

There are plenty of people on this forum who have and like the HP-3’s. Here’s our thread. Unless you can get a great deal on the Klipsch amp, I don’t think it should be your first choice (but I haven’t heard it so I could be wrong). Although since you live in Japan, it’s difficult to give reasonably priced recommendations. I did some searching on the Amazon.co.jp and a lot stuff we’d recommend isn’t there. The RNHP is there, albeit somewhat overpriced.

Also you are aware of just how different the HP-3 and HD800S sound right? The HD800 is bright and analytical while the HP3 is warm and laid-back

Edit.
What have you owned previously and what are looking for in sound now?

2 Likes

I have the HP3 and got them off heafi used for $700 incl ship & pp. A Klipsch heritage amp just went for $350 there so you can keep your eyes open for them.

I like my HP3s but find them on the brighter side (for me as I’m sensitive to treble/highs). I’m currently in search of a warmer SS amp and likely will settle on the RebelAmp or V280.

I can’t really speak to the quality of the heritage amp other than it gets good reviews and measures well for an AIO. If you can pick one up for $350 it’s worth a shot and if not take a $50 loss and sell them.

I find the headband very comfortable and have no need for the nuggets. I don’t game so cannot comment.

Yes these will benefit from a balance cable the stock cable is meh (looks good) but not great.

I’m not a fan of the hd800 (had the original but sold it).

1 Like

Hello,
The teac look‘s not bad,is one of the best for a reselling later as the other Amps,imo.
I habe tested the Fostex Hp A4 BL and find it was not good enough in compare with the Fostex Hp A3.Maybe the Fostex Hp A8 is a better option for you,On Ebay you can find cheeply.
The Kkipsch can be it okay have a Ess chip inside i don‘t know do you like it.
Another possibility is the Questyle Cma400i,Rme Adi 2 dac fs,
Project debut Dac.
Or the Rupert neve Headamp with the Topping E30 or when you need Bluetooth the Dx3 pro.
Or when you really like the Matrix Audio series is not bad.
A other tip from me is buy a Dac or Amp who have the C13 connector on it,so you must only buy your cabel who you need in Japan.
And selectet the correct poweroutput on the amp,and all are be fine.

2 Likes

Hey there, I own a pair so I will try to answer these as best as I can.

1. Where can I even get a HP-3 and/or Heritage amp/dac?

I found them on sale from Adorama, the link was posted here on this forum actually. Others have found them used.

1. How does it compare to something like the Meze Classic 99?

I don’t have the Classic but I do have the Noirs and the Noirs are MUCH warmer/bassier. The HP-3s have nice, controlled bass but nothing like the Noirs.

1. Is the headband bearable for 2~3 hour listening sessions or would I need the Dekoni Nuggets?

I can’t speak for everyone, but I had to get some Dekoni Nuggets for these to feel comfortable. The issue is the strap. The strap is beautiful, stitched leather but it’s got very little padding underneath it and so for me personally, after a while it was just not comfortable.

Another member recommended the ZMF Pilot Pad for them.

1. Are these viable for casual gaming due to the semi-open design?

That’s an interesting question - I suppose I could try them out and let you know. I use my Beyerdynamics when gaming and my HP-3s for listening to music.

1. Do they benefit from preparing a balanced cable?

I’m not running them balanced so I can’t comment on that.

1. What other amp/dacs do you recommend for the HP-3?

Other members might have more information than me on this. I have listened to them on the SDAC/CTH and also on the JDS Labs Atom which work fine. I probably do not have enough experience listening to a wide array of DACs/amps to give you a more meaningful answer here.

2 Likes

Oh wow I did not expect this many replies in a short time!
(apologies, not sure how to multi-quote…)

@marcgii I noticed that thread and was going to post there at first, but wanted to also ask regarding the HD800S so thought it would be more appropriate in the “Headphone Discussion / Help” thread . Will be going through the entire HP-3 thread though!

I can probably get the HP-3 for $1200 and Klipsch amp for around $600 in Japan, both from local sellers. Most of the non-Japanese amps are unfortunately overpriced, hence I was eyeing the Fostex, Marantx, and TEAC for the HD800S which are relatively same price as overseas (I think).

Yep, I am aware of the differences; I listened to the HD800S quite a while ago, it actually wasn’t as bright as I thought it would be, I was picturing something closer to the K701s but feel the high end was much more smoothed out. Unfortunately, I have not listened to the HP-3 yet and I doubt I ever will be able to try them out unless there’s some sort of Canjam type event in Tokyo.

I currently mainly use my MSR7 but also use mt V-MODA M100 for EDM. I am planning to get a Meze Noir 99 soon as well. For my end game setup, I will be using it at home for music + gaming (around 7:3 ratio) so looking for open back. I do like fun headphones (hence the M100) but also like switching it up to a bit more analytical (hence the MSR7).

@rmsanger Ah, I missed a good opportunity, they are nearly twice the cost in Japan :slightly_frowning_face:.
May I ask what amp/dac you currently use?
I guess I’ll need to keep an eye out on headfi if I want to get them for $350.
I actually wouldn’t mind spending $500~600 for an amp/dac, thought the HP-3 seems to not be too hard to drive.

Thanks for the comments on comfort and balance cable, well noted.
Guess if I decide on them, I’ll try them clean and if its unbearable, will get the nuggets.

@Deleeh Yep, I do like the TEAC, but can’t find that many reviews on it, especially the U-505 (see a couple of the other models reviewed).
My worry with the Fostex is that although it is high praised, does it have enough power to drive the HD800S and/or the HP-3.
I did consider the ADI-2 amp/dac but its a bit over budget new and there are no used ones for sale atm.
Yep, I am checking the power input/output/voltage of any considerations; its one of the reasons why I’m swaying away from the Schiit line.

@alphamarshan Thank you for your comments!
Just checked Adorama, seems like the have a Walnut on backorder for $1200, but shipping costs an additional $200, and taxes will probably apply as well to make it a total of $1450.

I believe the Noir and Classics share the same driver, only difference is cosmetics and accessories, thanks for the input.

For comfort, if I get the HP-3 then I’ll probably try them stock at first, if painful will get the Dekoni’s (although they look so much better without the nuggets :confused:).

Would be great if you could comment on using them with gaming! I don’t play competitively, just casual (hence the HD800S might be overkill in this department).

1 Like

Remember the key point is being able to source the gear in Japan. The HP-3’s personally I wouldn’t call an end game… But if you really want them an amp is the least of your concern for how easy they are to drive. And AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt drives them and sounds endgame like territory. I’ll give them a try on the FiiO BTR5 and see how they sound in a moment. FiiO products should be very accessible for Japan.

What do think about the Fostex Hp A8 you find in Japan for sure in better condition.
The test from the Teac was relay not bad in Europe.But about the Teac have for Headphone Mono output.So you must cord two cabel for it for the left and right side.That‘s not really good.
A other option ist the Chord outest who is not bad. But need a Amp seperate for it.

I play with the Denon Ah D7200 when i gaming on the console and is very well,so is not really improtant when you play with the Sennheiser with it.

The FiiO BTR5 drives the headphones beautifully.

You ever get them fixed?

Yes, they’re still not my favorite headphone. I just kept unscrewing things until I COULD fix the HP-3. I’ve had to fix them 1 more time which means it’s time for me to go invest in some loctite.

Oh, I read that they are easy to drive but was unaware they were THAT easy to drive.
I can definitely get Fiio products in Japan, BTR5 is around $130 here, thanks for the recommendation.

You mention that you needed to fix the HP-3 multiple times; is there an issue with build quality?

1 Like

I did a quick search, I can get the A8 for around $500 used.
I can also get a A8Mk2 new for around $1000 as well.

The U505 does only have 4.4mm or 6.3mm LR output, was just going to use the 4.4mm since the HD800S come with a 4.4mm pentaconn cable.

Chord Qutest is definitely out of budget, wish I had the money :pensive:

Ah, the Denon wood series, they do look really nice, but I’m worried the sound stage would suffer a bit.

I just noticed that you mentioned the RME ADI-2 FS.
I actually searched the RME ADI-2 (without FS) and saw it was around $1500, whereas the FS model is more near $1200, so can be an option…do you have any experience with the ADI-2 FS?

I keep having to fix this, which gets annoying and is a bit more involved. I’m assuming can be fixed with loctite. Ugliest Headphones?

Denafrips Ares II should be cheaper for you than the rest of us state side.

1 Like

That is a shame you need to keep fixing it, not something I would expect out of a $1000+ set of cans…

Seems like I can get a Denafrips Ares II for around $720, but I would also need to get a transformer for it to work with 100V in Japan. Would also need to get a separate amp, albeit you mentioned a BTR5 should suffice.

The BTR5 does sound pretty good with with it. About half the max max volume on high game runs those headphones effortlessly. So pretty much any DAC/amp will treat you well. I would even consider looking at some of the ifi offerings since they convert to DC which you should have plenty of options in your country for locally sourced options.

You’re in Japan… the amount of audio options you have there that we’ve never heard of is at your disposal as well. Given the low power requirements, you can’t go wrong with the HP-3.

I actually wouldn’t mind getting a “over-powered” amp though, as I may want to use them with any cans I get in the future (I am all too familiar with saying “this is my last headphone/IEM” only to come back to the forums 6 months later).

As you mentioned, Japan has lots of Fostex and TEAC that I can test out with high end gear such as the HD800S. Unfortunately, I doubt I’ll be able to test the HP-3 (nor Heritage amp) :worried:

I become my Rme Adi 2 dac fs today.
I have read he have the best Dacsection.And good many goodies for play on the Eq.
The Fostex Hp A8 i have heard is a bit older but not bad.With mk2 they have progressed a little bit.And is a good option to for your project.
He have really good in and outputs.

Honestly,Fostex with Akm chip make a really good sounding.
Only the A3 is a really good player,and with the A8 mk 2 is greater with more power,more Stage,more details,more raffiness.
It is today after years in my list to try it.
And Japan sounding is really special and make good things.Just Japan ingeneering can create this.

Honestly… the HP-3 makes cheaper gear sound amazing. If there is any magical quality I can give the HP-3 is that the FiiO BTR5 but more so the Dragonfly Cobalt (red would be just as good too) make that headphone sound amazing. If I didn’t have better hear I’d be calling it end game and be done.

Have you considered a Topping DAC/amp? They may fight your needs. Or a Topping stack? SMSL has some options too that should play nice.