šŸ”· Neumann NDH20

HD 820 have weird dis-attached bass from the midrange which makes some vocalists and mid-focused tracks sound really odd and thin.

I caved and bought these because the hype has swayed me. Iā€™ll be coming from a hd58x and havenā€™t owned a closed back for years. Iā€™m sort of new to this hobby, and recently bought a Topping D50 and a JDS Labs Atom, and the thought of possibly having supposed ā€˜end gameā€™ headphones for this price is exciting. Anxious to know how Iā€™ll feel about them, theyā€™ll be here Monday.

3 Likes

With regard to mobile amps and power, would Oppo HA2 SE pair well with these?

Found some FR graphsā€¦ Yup, I want them now.

2 Likes

150 ohms. Apparently they donā€™t even need an amp!

Ehhhh. I think that depends in the song honestly. On quite songs Iā€™ve had to switch my amp to high gain on these to get my desired volume.

Mine came in yesterday, been using them all day to see if they are worth the price. When a song has a lot of vocals over everything else, these sound splendid, and the separation between all instruments and the vocalist is superb, but, I bought the 58X Jubilee recently, and yes, I know that is Open back vs Closed back, but I honestly prefer the 58x Jubileeā€™s more. Might just prefer open back headphones. Think I might return these. Oh, and comfort on them isnā€™t an issue for me personally, granted, you DEFINITELY do know they are on your head, their feel doesnā€™t disappear over hours.

Everyone is different I suppose. My 58x Jubileeā€™s are getting sold because of the Neumannā€™s.

Thatā€™s headphone endgame for less than $700, end to end. Pretty good if you ask me!

I much prefer open back for casual listening as well. But the Neumannā€™s are the clinical closed back end game.

Hello, Iā€™m new to this place and Iā€™m not an audiophile, just a guy who really like music.
So after 1 full day I will say that I can easily sell all my other headphones I have and keep this one. I listen to alot of instrumental music, female vocals and original scores. I havenā€™t had the time to listen to hip hop or electronic music on these yet but I will soon but I like the sound I get from these. At first, they came off as a little muffled to me but as I read up on it they are supposed to sound as the original recording intended so nothing hyped about it I guess. Once I played an acoustic song with a nice female vocal I knew these were it.

Let me also state this, my ears havenā€™t felt pain yet but my ears fit inside the cups well so yay for small ears but in time the clamp force does put some discomfort on my upper jaw but I just readjust it then I reset the timer.

Now lastly the headband is nice looking but as a bald man it is not comfy for me so I placed my trusty ZMF pad on and all is well. I so took this on a small commute and I enjoyed the isolation. Iā€™m from New York City so trains and buses can be loud.

My amp of choice to go portable is the xduoo, it has the power enough to get great volumes on lows songs if you have them and donā€™t pierce my ears with highs.

Iā€™m working on getting a custom cable built for these but I gotta figure out this 2.5mm connector since it seems like one of its kind out here. Once I have that this is my daily headphone on the go to work and back.

5 Likes

Just opened my package a couple of hour ago and honestly Iā€™m blown away. Endgame for sure. I also own the Jubilees but honestly gotta say they donā€™t compare in any way. Sure sound stage is bigger but thatā€™s bound to happen with open backs, other than that i see no reason to take the Jubilees over the NDH20. But i guess thatā€™s personal after all

1 Like

I should have put this on my original post but one take away from this headphone is the damn cable for the microphonics, if your staying still then youā€™re fine and if your blasting these cans you donā€™t hear them either but if the music is paused or off and your moving about then the sound is like someone writing with a pencil to me lol.

This is NOT the case for me. I just tested this after your post. I have ZERO sound/noise even throwing the cable up and letting it hit my desk when the music is paused. Iā€™m currently on my THX portable amp at work.

1 Like

Well itā€™s sounds like your stationary I meant while walking on about outside. My backpack has clips that was hitting against it and brought about an annoying amount of microphonics.

Could be that you have a bad connection or there is an issue with your cable. Are you using an amp or direct into a phone? Do you have the issue with both cables?

just got my pair and i think the hd660s are going up for saleā€¦ the ndh20 is what i was looking for, the sound is just soo clean and i think the imaging is better too. dont know about sound stage but i think the ndh20 has a slight bit more. so all in all get these you wont be regretting your purchase :smiley:

Well I have been using only the coiled cable which is also a good self defense weapon lol but I never tried the straight cable maybe Iā€™ll give that a try when I get home. Not sure why I didnā€™t think of that, guess I got lost in the sauce.

2 Likes

Just adding something. They may sound better (only by looking at the graphs) than I thought. Because all the graphs look likeā€¦ the Harman 2017 headphone ā€œtargetā€ graph.

So, yeah, monitoring, indeedā€¦ maybe?

Been putting these, ā€œTHEEEESEā€ through the paces again today and I had them on my head for hours. Iā€™m getting used to the comfort, especially when the sound and effortless low end is this good. I can say I love these headphones. These wonā€™t be going back. BTWā€¦ These really shine at high volumes!!!

@Pizza, I agree. Iā€™ve had the 660s and they went back to Amazon a while ago. These are in a different league. I actually prefer all the other 600 series over the 660s.

@Poet, I hope you sort that problem out. It might also be your player/amplifier, whatever youā€™re plugging into. I seriously have no noise on mine. Does anyone else have this issue? Something to tryā€¦ Make sure the plug is locked into place inside the right earcup (push it all the way into the plug and lock it with a clockwise turn till it clicks and locks in place). If itā€™s not properly seated, it might be bouncing around in there.

1 Like