New 350$ Planars -Thieaudio Phantom

TBH I’ve needed up using EQ on the mids, doesn’t take much but makes a huge difference

2 Likes

I’d agree but I don’t eq…I used to ride old British/American motorbikes and we called it charter lol.

1 Like

If your craving the modding mode these are definitely a good pickup I’ve seen a. Ton of awesome mods and 3d printed or cnc machined grills as well for this headphone. It’s a shame these driver’s weren’t given the clone treatment the sendy driver’s got would have loved to see where companies went to improve the sound

1 Like

Yeah reckon he’d love messing with these easy to do tune on a daily :+1:

1 Like

So this thread got quiet…

I pulled mine out again after some time and I’ve finally decided to sell them. Now to find a buyer, which based on the activity in here, might prove challenging…

Should get results posting over in Buy/Sell Thread or ebay

I still listen to mine from time to time, more so than my 660s tbh but mostly it’s iems these days.

3 Likes

Yeah the iem bug bit hard this side too

2 Likes

Imgur
My substantially modified and EQ’ed Phantom is on my head as I type, powered by my little SMSL M3. Listening to ChangesNowBowie.
Still awesome.

3 Likes

Does anyone actually know what this material is called?

I’ve done a tonne of mods to my Phantoms (ZMF pads, foam removal/addition, replace grill, fuzzor, additional sorbothane damping to reduce reflections), but this is a mod I now want to reverse - except I can’t find these film covers… (Think I chucked em) I notice a similar material is used to cover the drivers on the Fostex T50rp but from all the Googling in the world I can’t seem to identify what it is… Seems to be some kind of breathable/porous plastic mesh/membrane - anyone have any ideas? Or even better, how it could be sourced? I reached out to Linsoul, but no joy… Any suggestions much appreciated!

Very thin synthetic fiber - feels more plastic than anything else.

Thank you! I’ve tried searching variations on those terms, but keep drawing a blank… Can’t seem to find any similar thin, plastic, porous membrane for sale - any ideas?

Have you tried mailing Thieaudio directly?..might be worth a shot :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Reminds me of pc fan filter mesh, you should be able to find 140mm filters on amazon for cheap and could cut them up as a last resort?

Would something like window screen material work?

Good shout, thanks! I thought I had 'cause I contacted Linsoul - but I see now that Thieaudio have their own website etc.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve finally stumbled on this mesh which I think could be similar - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multiple-Sizes-Fine-Filter-Mesh-Nylon-Fabric-Net-Material-Water-Starain-Brew-Bag/324027244794?pageci=c87a976a-2017-4030-9dc0-8483bc326520 - ordered a couple of grades to play around with.

Will also see what Thieaudio have to say :slightly_smiling_face:

Man I removed and put back that mesh shit so many times on my Phantoms…props to the glue :+1:

3 Likes

Argh, their website is a bit of a joke it seems… The “Contact Us” is a mailing list subscription and all the social media links are dead :roll_eyes:

I wonder if some of these Chi-Fi brands are businesses in their own right or in some instances just labels that companies like Linsoul use for products they commission. I guess it shall remain a mystery!

Ahh, see what you mean! Something like this?