New 350$ Planars -Thieaudio Phantom

Dont recall ,but on the video where he initially reviewed them he says they will go on the wall. I recently watched a 2020 wall video he put up and was surprised they were no longer there. Se La Vi. They are a pretty cheap set to be honest the sound is good ,but the build quality is China.

How are they similar? Other than the obvious, would you say the sound signature ? The build quality? They both have wood?

Well, they compete in the same price bracket, both planar, different signature but I don’t see why you shouldn’t compare the two, it’s something a fair amount of people will end up choosing between

Also the sundara doesn’t have wood unless hifiman made a new revision lol

You forgot to mention they both are over ear headphones LOL!,thanks for stating the obvious bud, no body is saying not to compare in the first place ,dont know where you got that from .

1 Like

Right here

3 Likes

Oh right they’re headphones, they compete in the same bracket ,right that’s why they are not dissimilar, no people would be comparing ,arguably the most important thing in a headphone “the sound signature”,this in my opinion is the one true thing that would make them “similar”/“dissimilar”/“different”

Not me dude

Just because they have a different signature doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be compared? They do share some similarities, they both have decent extension, both are fairly quick, they do have decent layering, imaging is somewhat comparable and of course they share differences as well, but it’s not like you are comparing a speaker to a headphone or something (the phantom has more impact than the sundara, the sundara has more detail than the phantom, etc, etc)

Personally my experience with the phantoms was not a positive one, unmodded they were really not something I would consider worthwhile, kinda shite for the price imo. But modded they did improve, that being said, it’s still not something I would personally recommend from my listening.

Just answering your question, wasn’t claiming you said that

2 Likes

I agree the phantoms fell into the hype train and got nurtured by a modding community that kept them some what relevant. Regarding your comparison argument , based on your standards anything could be compared,should they? Would it make sense to compare a harmon curve with a v shape sound signature? I think that’s dumb and nonsense, but like you said

To each their own by those measures

Yeah, there is more to a headphone than frequency response, why not compare them?

1 Like

Because by my shopping standards and ideals I buy headphones for the sound, not the style or the fit, if the sound is garbage and it look nice and shines like diamond. What good is it to me if it sounds like crap? Like I said to me sound is number one .

I agree for sure (that isn’t the case for everyone though)

From what I remember from the video, the Phantom were going to replace the M1060 on the wall.

I wish i could recommend the M1060 to people. A 106mm planar for 280$ but they tell me its no good.

I dont speak for everyone just myself,LOL

The m1060 was not my jam due to a peak that my ears didnt like. Honestly lcd2c, hifiman he560v3, and isine 10(must EQ) all sounded better to me. The only other planar I’ve heard was the p1 and it’s been a pain to get right. Still a metallic treble is offputting to me so sad overall atm with them.

Oh boy, I didn’t mean to start this sort of discussion :sweat_smile:

@M0N Maybe the use of the word “compare” was confusing.

Of course, you can compare whatever you want and yes, while sound is obviously the main trait to a headphone, there are many important features. And yes, since there are not so many good planar headphones around 350$, they are being compared.

But what I meant was, if someone really enjoys the analytical and clean presentation of the Sundara, the chances of that person to love the “fun” and bassy Phantom is statistically lower. Not telling you can’t love both, just on average people probably won’t.

For instance, I don’t enjoy listening to music on the Sundara so much. Now, if I am interested in a new headphone and read that its being compared to the Sundara, I probably won’t buy that headphone…

1 Like

Oh yes, I remember! It seems the heavily modded M1060c made it instead! And he mentioned that the M1060c is going to be replaced by the M1070…

Once you’ve done the mods to the Phantoms they aren’t that dark imho…the upper mids are still a bit claustrophobic and the high timbers are a tad off? not lacking though… still enjoy listening to them…keepers :smiley:

1 Like

TBH I’ve needed up using EQ on the mids, doesn’t take much but makes a huge difference

2 Likes