New 350$ Planars -Thieaudio Phantom

Thanks ConnorG for the shipping info. I was getting a little worried . AliExpress tracking number worked until Singapore Post pick the package up 4 days ago and then the package disappeared . Singapore Post has know knowledge of my tracking number, my package has been in limbo for the past 4 days. Keeping my fingers cross.:confused:

One good news is I found a library with free 3d scanning and printing and instructors to show you ow to use them. I was hoping to replace the Phantom’s boring grill with maybe a ZMF or RAD-0 grill. I know the dimension are different but theres got to be a way.
![](http://img18116.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=775586170__DSC2999_122_340lo.jpg http://img18116.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=776457272_DSCF1372_122_567lo.jpg

I wouldn’t worry too much about that. I ordered my SU-8 from Singapore and the tracking didn’t register for quite some time.

Also, I got my dispatch confirmation this morning and Amazon says expected delivery date is 26 October. It’s coming… eventually…

I was just listening to the sound demo from Zeos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BGorKR98JY). I understand these demos aren’t super accurate but they sounded quite thin and bass light to me. How much more bass are people getting out of these compared to the demo once modded?

Okay, this has me a tad worried… has that high point at the usual sibilant peak around 8k that I hate. :frowning:

Two things…1 what sort of sound signature do you prefer from a headphone, 2 what headphones were you listening with for the sound demo?
I can definitely say they’re not bass shy, no DT1770 but the bass hits hard even un-moded. Personally i’m still playing with mods but it does seem ConnorG and myself don’t agree entirely on which mod/mods sounds best lol…as for mods the jury is still out imho, I know a lot of people care about frequency response graphs but I generally prefer to use my ears as that’s what I use to enjoy my music.
I can’t really believe you’ll be disappointed with the bass response even sans mods :+1:

4 Likes

Agree, these are NOT bass shy. The bass is there, and it is high quality type of bass.

2 Likes

Cheers. Well cool that’s reassuring. I was listening to the sound demo with 400is. Honestly I’ve not managed to trial enough audiophile headphones to really know what my preferred sound signature is. The only thing I don’t like about the 400is is the occasional treble harshness and I’d want a little more bass. I love how lively they are though. I thought Zeos’s phantom demo was maybe a little thinner than I would like when compared to some of his other demos. I really liked the detail and imaging that I heard though. I just don’t know how similar to the demo these headphones sound in real life. Everyone seems to say they aren’t bass light while I thought the demo was quite bass light, so maybe the demo ain’t all that accurate.

you need to remember that the sound demo will sound different to the real product. Your DAC, AMP and most important headphones will affect the sound.
Heck, the sound demo of Phantoms sounded thin on my Phantoms. TBH I find the whole sound demo idea of misleading and nothing more than unnecessary gimmick

3 Likes

Got my tracking number this morning. They are officially on their way!

3 Likes

The only thing the Zeos sound demo can be considered useful for is comparing two headphones he’s auditioning that are functioning correctly in the rig. Then playing two demos back and forth one might get a sense of a difference between two headphones.

Even then there’s no chance in hell you can get even a decent idea what a headphone really sounds like on your ears. I really don’t understand why he does them, maybe just to have some filling on his channel.

2 Likes

IDK either. I have never heard a sound demo like that that actually conveyed anything for headphones. Actually I’ve found that some speaker demos can be helpful in hearing how they perform differently in a room and really general stuff, but headphone demos really don’t do anything for me except for the demos of sound leak and isolation

That’s what I was doing. They sound thinner compared to most demos. But I’m still not even sure comparing is useful. It seems to me that different headphones respond differently to the recording process. I think it’s just the planners that are unreliable. He seems to get good consistent demos out of dynamics and electrostatics

Well I think he also edits them in post and tries to make them sound accurate to his ears, so there are some differences between demos that should have sounded close because of this

1 Like

Have any other batch 2s arrived? Any change in package contents or unexpected surprises?

Just a quick comparison to the He4XX based of a couple hours testing, definitely none of the harshness and warmer sound. Bass is better done.

3 Likes

Took a peak under the grille and they changed the wire going from the headphone jack to 2 thicker looking wires per side compared to the neat looking ones posted by Ohmboy.

Where Ohmboy’s looks like a nice white vee, batch 2 looks like brown Fallopian tubes.

So you have a pair of the new batch?? Is there anything diferent comparing to the first batch?

Well mine did not come with the case for the balanced cable (meh), but more importantly did NOT come with the long haired pads. Havent contacted them yet since I wanna know if its the “new” normal contents, based on other batch 2. And as I mentioned earlier the sloppier looking wiring.

Sounds great to me compared to the HE4XX. thats probably going bye-bye. If I cant get a good price for it, i might try and swap the headband over to the Phantom. The poor comfort of the headband and the default thin pads is an issue for me. I ordered some Brainwavz XL hybrids and micro suede based off the recs here.

Oh god help us don’t bring colour and gender into this lol…On a serious note, got a pic of the new wiring configuration?

Here is one side. The other is neater with the wires over the glued on foam. I would not go as far as to call it a configuration… LOL

Fallopian%20(Small)

3 Likes