New 350$ Planars -Thieaudio Phantom

Still using it pretty much stock. I like the sound… based on the experiments done it seems the rectangular foam and the mesh on the grill were there for a reason. Perhaps those 2 circles as well.

I have tried it with the rectangular foam out and it did have more detail and obviously more volume. It was apparent in Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love (not entirely sure but definitely Led Zeppelin) had a strange chittering sound in the background I never heard before or with foams on. I tried it with foam on one side and it obviously sounded muffled compared to the side without foam. Tested with down-mixing to Mono as well so, surprise foam muffles sound. :smile:

The best part for me about removing the rectangular foam is that the stock short hair earpads became comfortable! No more pain from long listening because it was pressing on my lobes.

So I’ve tried no grilles and no rectangular foam and put it back to stock… at least until I get my pads and free time to listen in peace.

@ConnorG Any chance you can put up chart with what each mod on its own does or how it affects the sound? I know you’re working on a review that will tackle this, so maybe once its done or maybe in the description of your video break it down per mod?

I use Audeze vegan pads with them. My favorite so far.

1 Like

That’ll all be covered in my review. Not sure when I’ll be finished with it though, as I’m waiting on a new set of grilles to come in.

3 Likes

Summarizing what has worked for me: (nothing groudbreaking, just tying it all together)

1.) Removed fabric from the grills
2.) Changed pads to ZMF Suede Ovals
3.) Removed one small circle foam on each side and centered the remaining one
4.) Put in a big circle piece of foam over top of the smaller one under the grills

I left the square foam under the ear cups. No EQ. No Fuzzor Mod (did not try that one)

The sound is back to sublime. Horns sound like they are in layers. Tracks that usually sound cluttered in spots to me are separated nicely in this configuration. Vocals are a little forward for me, but are much better since putting the square piece of foam back in.

I’m going to stop chasing my tail for now. My ears are happy with these changes and it’s now time to just enjoy the music.

5 Likes

Ok my final say on these headphones…I’ve had them 5 + weeks now and have used them a lot, i’ve modded them this way and that and now have them back to stock minus one of the round rings of foam under the grill, oe material back in place and a pair of Brainwavz xl perforated pads and I love em…just spent the afternoon listening to them back to back (same dac) with my 660’s tube driven and the Phantoms ss and what fun was had listening to Tom Waits, Kate Bush, Linkin Park, Steely Dan, Pendulum, London Grammar, Thomas Dolby, Joni Mitchell, Beastie boys, Mazzy Star and Bob Marley etc.

They’re so entertaining while offering decent detail, great separation and a wide sound stage, the mids aren’t as good as the 660’s (no surprises there) but portray more space all be it scarifying some of the intimacy, highs are never sibilant even laid back compared to the 660’s when driven via ss so if you like the dt1990 type high sound signature then these are not for you. Bass is good, faster if you mod it more than I have them now, but I found it lost some body and decayed too quickly for my taste.
Personally these headphones are a keeper…easy and entertaining to listen to, comfy and in the 5 weeks i’ve had them for the messily $350 out lay which so far has cost me $70 each week and is getting cheaper by the week…BARGAIN :+1:

Buy and enjoy :smiley:

6 Likes

I think I’ve copied your configuration and I’m getting the exact same result. Listening to all different types of music last night for a couple hours and just couldn’t get over how much fun I was having.

3 Likes

Aye I agree mate, some times there’s too many mods/changes, too many frequency response graphs and not enough ears, smiles and :beer:’s

Edit… i’ll leave this here because they destroyed my 660’s with this ( truly love my Senn’s tho)…

6 Likes

What grills are you waiting for?

Maybe…

1 Like

I gave it a click and I’m laughing out loud with glee with how good the first track sounds on the Phantoms. Damn!

1 Like

Yep they can do their $350’s worth of music all day long…end game :rofl: $1k :rofl: …but 500​:moneybag:?..1060 nah but not tried the c open/closed mod thing?..Sundara? something that didn’t break even with good customer service and the sibilance would be good…verum’s? (not heard em) but having both channels at the same level is an advantage?..
Any other contenders lol.

1 Like

You could always get sh LCD2 according to some folks :rofl::joy::rofl:

3 Likes

Yesterday was Thieaudio tonight He1000v2. Between both the Phamtoms have some of the spacious qualities plus laid back sound signature. But HEkv2 is ahead by a mile. Tomorrow back to phantoms. I’m currently listening to Tool and the detail retrieval is amazing for the price. I like it’s dark high frequencies and it’s ability to play lower. The HEkv2 bass isn’t as present as the phantom. I don’t know if there’s a bump in mid bass on the phantom but anyway I love it.

2 Likes

Only Audeze headphone I like is lcd2c

My pads are here! However, I went with the Hybrid and Suede Brainwavz; missed out on getting the perforated ones… lets see how this goes.

I also have some angled oval pleathers which I can try.

3 Likes

Well this has certainly turned out to be a Marmite type of headphone (as we say in the UK) I love mine and Lothar_Wolf hates his, Zeos loves and DMS hates.
Swop the pads if you have some XL ones to hand, this made the biggest difference imho and not having any extra pads from Linsoul is an added bonus if you ask me lol.

That’s not a fair comment. These are not bad just because you don’t like them.

Ohmboy summed this up perfectly when he said if people like DT 1990s, they will not like these. Similar to your Grado’s - They are completely different headphones. Of course the Grados will reveal more detail. Have you seen the Grado house sound treble spike on a frequency graph before?

I am not dissing Grado though - I love my set and I have the DT 1990 on the way. I 100% expect to like them too. I like bright sounds.

However, I do see the appeal in this headphone. I have only listened to it for 2 days and when you spend the time to find your signature, you can really enjoy these. It has really good characteristics in certain areas. But if you fundamentally have a problem with bass boosted recessed mids, you will not like these. That does not make them bad headphones.

Full disclosure - I will be selling mine.

#FindingInternetDuringTravels

2 Likes

That’s for sure! I keep checking back rooting for those who are still getting them to have a good experience.

I guess I’m either lucky that I found the right combination of foam and tweaks, or my limited comparison sample (Argons, Porta Pros, 58x, m40x) is keeping me from knowing how much better there is out there and how bad these are?

My ears are so happy (after tweaks/mods), I just gotta trust that. Also I gotta get to Can Jam next year. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I retrieved my brainwavz angled leather pads from my brother and using them, things sounded tighter and clearer in the mids. Sounds as reasonable bit does not wow me. Will continue to test it over the next few days

2 Likes

Quick update from me - after some inspiration from metal571, I decided to start playing with EQ. Metal said that he wouldn’t recommend the LCD2c (I think the 2cs) without assuming one would EQ them, but with EQ he enjoys them.
So I took the sine wave slider I linked in my last post and just by ear EQd the headphone.
This DRAMATICALLY improved my listening experience, so I really think people should try this and not be too afraid, it took maybe 20 minutes. I even added some bass (whether necessary or not) and it is T H I C K and good.

I still don’t know if this is a headphone I will recommend it enjoy long term, as I need more time with it (will make a future post), but I have been able to have some fun with it.

I think a mistake I made is to come from dailying a 6XX and subconsciously look for a similar tone, as well as expect the detail to be outdone. The 6XX and other dynamics will always be different headphones from the heavy planars, and it’s good to try and separate that out before judging. Still deciding if the detail is there tho, but the eq’ing helped a lot.

I’ll post EQ params once I’ve converged on mods I like and have had time to tweak the EQ. Best that people do it on their own for their particular set/mods. It’s not very hard to tell where the dips are with that slider app.

Here’s a song I really enjoyed after eq’ing - https://tidal.com/track/21583087

2 Likes