New 350$ Planars -Thieaudio Phantom

Nice work @s_beck. If you’d share the DTP files that would be great.
I’m testing M1060 fazors now. More to come

4 Likes

Might have missed it, but remind you of what?

Thanks very much!
I do want to keep the designs proprietary because I’m going to sell them, so unfortunately I won’t be making the CAD public. Sorry about that!

1 Like

The design is great! Really looking to order a set when you are up and running.

1 Like

I think he was saying when your site goes live.

1 Like

Oh, I see. You are one of these people :wink:
Not to worry, parts for M1060 fit as well and are available for free

2 Likes

What kind of fabric is used on the grate? Now I understand that this is a fabric for umbrellas. Must be replaced with a thin acoustic cloth.

1 Like

I might do a design and make the 3d file public. Do you have any suggestion for design? I was thinking maybe some Escher inspiration like:

Or maybe like fan blades in a jet engine. When you first are going to use RP its fun to make some shapes that are difficult to mass-produce with injection molding.

2 Likes

Any of them will be cool. Let me know if you need measurements

Thank you. I will check my measurements with you. I dont have a 3d printer at home, but I can print the drawings from the CAD file on a regular paper printer to match it with the existing metal plate.

Will the grills be smoother? I see grain from the cutting.

is there anyone who managed to get this headphones a little bit more intimate? figured out most of my music really benefit from intimacy

Using Audirvana. There’s a free trial so trying won’t cost you a penny.

1 Like

When the selling of the fazors goes up

1 Like

I got these 3D printed for about US$4 (self collect) site promising… can search thingiverse for several M1060 grill options too but they will need to be rescaled to fit the 96mm diameter of the phantoms from the 104mm on the M1060’s

Just a test run for now in gold. can get printed in carbon fibre too for about 4 x the cost.

1 Like

@s_beck Thanks for this awesome graph! Based on your measurements are you saying that leaving one side with foam is the same as both sides with no foam?

1. Could I request a stock with short hair vs the favorite mod setup (no earpad side foam+one circle grill foam+grill with fabric+3mm grille side foam+and brainwavz XL perforated)?
  2. Stock vs (no earpad side foam+both stock circle grill foam+grill with fabric+and brainwavz XL perforated)
  3. and like #2 but with brainwavz microsuede instead of perforated?

Ive opted to have designed from the ground up a hexagonal patterned grill in black nylon with higher strength with some other features. I’ll post some images once my designer and printer are finished. Probably will be early next week.

I will be happy to post some out for Singapore local users, based on a minimal overhead on the cost of the design work and printed plus postal cost. Might even be able to supply some foam inserts to hide the diaphragm and wires a bit. Payments will be via PayNow

No prob!
Yeah, at least in terms of frequency response the measurements were basically identical. I attached a plot that shows no foam, vs all foam vs only circles (no ear-side). I would say that the differences you can see in the green and orange are within the measurement variation.

For your requested measurements, I don’t actually have the BW perforated or the 3 mm foam for the grill-side. Would you want to send them to me to measure? :slight_smile:

1 Like

So everyone’s designing black hex pattern grills and selling them? A+ for originality

No need to design and sell/buy. Design is available for free to download, just size down to 96.8mm and print.
D- for salty comments :wink:

1 Like