New 350$ Planars -Thieaudio Phantom

LMAO loved the old 4AD artists :raised_hands:

Edit for… This Mortal Coil :+1:

2 Likes

Wow! Fantastic bit of modding there. Really important to have many different mods avaliable!

The more people take this apart, the more potential these seem to have for modding. That magnetic interaction certianly seems interesting.

2 Likes

Love this too…we all have our own personal ‘audiophile’ preferences and apart from the pad mod nothing has added to my personal listening experience even driving them with tubes :open_mouth: planar’s do work ok with them…ish :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

I know a company that works with carbon fibre/3D manufacturing and I could see what a carbon copy of the Phantom grill would cost…sorta M1060 closed open mod …won’t be cheep?..Personally I love the phones as is…enjoying listening to them now

2 Likes

Yeah, about the only other modding I’m inclined for might be to put the Brainwavz foam into the shaggy pads. Not sure I want to bother sewing; maybe Linsoul will fix them in a future batch; tbd.

1 Like

Excellent discussion and great explanation of your extensive modding, CoonorG.
I’ve gone with the perforated Brainwavz and it really is amazing the change one simple pad swap can do.
So very interested in trying out taking out the grills but I think I may leave that for when I have some vacation time to spend with this hobby of ours.

Very much appreciate all the posts and insights from everyone on the board!

2 Likes

Well this thread has been very popular 3.3k views second only to the Neumann one.

2 Likes

The wait is killing me .
I’ve boxed up my Meze trying to sell them .
So now I’ve got nothing but my traveling Bose to listen to uggghhhhh .
I’ll be ok just venting lol

2 Likes

Just enjoy the music. Said no one who was ever into hifi.

9 Likes

Is the soundstage as good as your HD820’s or the Clear?

Standard caveat that you’d be hard pressed to find anyone on this site less qualified to comment. I’m just a guy who wastes money and the current obsession is audio. Soundstage is a concept I’m just understanding now. The HD820’s are great to have for comfort and because they’re closed. The Thieo Phantoms are the only set I have which have made me look for a noise in the room not realising it was part of the track. The LCD X and Atlas IEMs I’d also rate in front of the Sennheisers. Having said all that I just bought the Audioquest Cobalt and that is so game changing all of the above is way less relevant. The advice I’m giving mates without headphones is to buy it and the Thieos and they’ll be done.

3 Likes

How are these for vocals/strings/percussion?

Vocals/strings/percussion…vocals are well portrayed, enjoyable but not as focused or intimate as my 660s, strings are well separated with plenty of air and realism, percussion is fast and pretty tight with maybe a bit of roll off when it comes to cymbals…basically you have a well balanced sound, portrayed via a wide soundstage which never becomes fatiguing or ever boring.

4 Likes

Finally my new balanced 3.5mm cable arrived today to go with the ifi Nano BL :+1:
Now I’ve never been a one to hype cables sound wise, yes I like well built and tidy looking cables but this one is defo better than the stock se one I’ve been using, imaging is better and vocals are more focused…So win win :smiley:

1 Like

How do you like the nano on the Phantoms
Does it give enough to ooomph
Also do you mind sharing link to cable
And I’m still waiting to get mine shipped ,it’s like waiting on Christmas.

Would you guys agree the Phantoms are the next step up from the Hifiman HE4XX? From what I’ve read, the HE4XX are the best entry level planar cans at the moment. Thoughts?

1 Like

Hey buddy, yes the Nano has plenty of poke to fire the Phantoms 3/4 volume and my head is taking a beating lol.
https://oidiosound.co.uk/headphone-cables/hifiman/pellucid-dual-2-5mm.html is where I get my cables, just be aware the 2.5mm plug on this cable has a long recess so it sticks out a bit from the socket (doesn’t bother me) If you email JT at Oidio he can offer other options if this’s a problem for you.
The cables usually take about 14 days to dispatch :+1:

2 Likes

Can anyone provide me w/ the grill dimensions for the phantom? Diameter, pitch, and screw size would be great! I have a pair on the way (not sure when this new batch is shipping out), and I want to make some laser cut, acrylic or wood grills to have ready to go when they get here :slight_smile: I’ll share the DXF files once I’m finished if ppl are interested.

9 Likes

Haven’t got time tonight bud but if no one else can be arsed i’ll remove the grills tomoz and get me tape out :+1: from what I remember the screw holes are very close to the edge of the outside of the grill, probably too close for wood imho…might be better like I said earlier in this thread get someone with a 3d printer and good at carbon fabrication and machining?

5 Likes

Here ya go mate, I don’t have a micrometer but the grills are about 1.5mm thick with a diameter of 96mm, the screw holes are 3mm and are spaced 66mm x 66mm…

Hope this helps :+1:

4 Likes