New LSA headphones priced to compete w/Kennerton?

Luiz doesn’t have the LSA HP-2’s anymore. I purchased them from him. :slight_smile: I love them. Before getting the GH50s he sold them to me to finance the purchase of the GH50s. He kept the HP-2s for a day or two when his GH50s arrived to do the comparison.

Cool! I wondered if someone would keep both.

Based on some of my conversations with Luiz I think he would have loved to keep both and I think he actually may prefer the LSA HP-2 over the GH50s but I’ll have to let him comment on that as these feelings can change as you adapt to new headphones.

3 Likes

Hey man, hope you are enjoying your HP-2!

I would have kept both in a heart beat, they are super different. And yes in most days i guess i prefer the HP-2 over the GH50, mainly because i already have an excellent set on the HE6se and it is my main set, i use it like 80% of the time, when i reach for the #2 i do it because i want a different flavour, and the HP-2 is a LOT more different than the GH50 is.

I think if i had to do it all again i would just keep the HP-2 tbh, hahaha. Both are incredible sets, but the HP-2 is much cheaper and more unique than the GH50. I almost regret the change because of that, but the GH50 is great in its own way so i don’t reach the point of regret.

@Dynamic, i think you would be interested in this after some more time with the GH50.

3 Likes

Underwood says they are sonically the same but I’m doubting it. Darn I wish I could try the real Gjallahorn. Anyone around Paris? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am very much enjoying the HP-2s. They get about 50-60% of my listening time with the other 40-50% going to my Clear Mgs. I get what you mean regarding the change of sound being complimentary. I’m glad these sound different from the rest of my headphones and provide a great sense of clarity and nicely textured base. The only set of headphones I currently have that sound great not EQ’d and even better with some additional base added through eq.

1 Like

My HP-2’s are my favourite “overall” headphones. They do everything so well and are SO articulate/precise.

I do keep a wide selection for variety though. :grin:

1 Like

Yeah that is the only problem i have with the entire GH50 / HP-2 thing. That statement is plain false, anyone who heard both will confirm that, like, my wife who can’t tell a difference in sound between a Hifiman Ananda and an Audeze LCD-X could hear a clear difference between the GH50 and the HP-2 lol

3 Likes

Clear MG’s are on my short list. But, I haven’t found enough people to give feedback between mg and hp-2. What makes you prefer the hp-2?

2 Likes

I love the Mg’s don’t get me wrong. I just need to use close backs sometimes, also I find the treble too relaxed on the Mg’s and I need to EQ those headphones. Otherwise they are great. I don’t feel comfortable in trying to do reviews as I don’t want to mislead others. The only real way to know if you like a headphone is to try it, though you can have a pretty good idea if you find the right reviewer. When EQ’s the Clears just sound more natural, but the HP-2s have a clarity that few other headphones I have tried have had.

2 Likes

You have to EQ the treble up on mg compared to the hp-2? Interesting.

Yeah, hp-2 flat out compete with the best planars I have heard. It’s different DD presentation, but in the same kind of range. The DD differences happen to fit my preferences perfectly. Ironically, the only thing that beats it clarity wise without being a planar is the dunu zen. But the zen is thinner and an IEM. And not as magical in many other ways. And rolled off treble. Over ears, I simply haven’t found anything that comes near the hp-2. Hence not jumping to try anything focal.

Getting more and more interested in kennerton rognir. :wink:

2 Likes

I have the OG Clears not the MG but I think the Clears are overall better headphones. I think the Clears beat the HP2 in most respects expect the HP2 have a wider sound stage. The HP2 are closed backs so it’s not exactly a fair comparison either.

1 Like

I still really want to hear the OG Clears with a good amp, i had it with the Schiit Heresy and it was a big letdown. I prefer the HP-2 in every single way.

1 Like

I find that the Clears sound better to me on all my AMPs: Liquid Gold X, Burson Soloist 3x, ifi idsd black label, Dethonray Honey, darkvoice, and valhalla 2. All the amps except for the combos are hooked up to my Bifrost 2. I am not saying the Hp-2 are bad but not as good to me as the Clears.

3 Likes

@luizgarcia can you make the hp-2 distort?

I really never tried to make any of my sets distort, even with my bass boost i keep listening levels as low as i can (especially because of my bass boost really). The only thing about the HP-2 is that too much sub-bass gets in the way of everything else, something that is not a problem on planars but i guess that is to be expected since the driver has to move too much.

I think the only set in which i faced distortion at low volumes was a Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO which was my first “good” headphone, that one could not hold a bass boost at all…

1 Like

I saw the Rognir “Dynamic” listed on the Kennerton Website(.org), and for about US $1650. Interesting offering…actually puts me in the dream category as opposed to the Rognir Planar @ $3700 unobtainium category… :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey, question. Where are folks in the US buying these HP-2 Ultra headphones? So far, I have only seen one place online and I’m not sure they are legit. Thanks.

The Authorized Dealer:
https://www.underwoodhifi.com/

Cheers

1 Like

The only dealer is Underwood HiFi. They contract Kennerton to make the headphones for them.
And yeah the whole process seems a little primitive (it is!), but they are legit.

3 Likes