New LSA headphones priced to compete w/Kennerton?

OK so they are authorized dealers? Cool, thanks. I don’t know why but the site looked a little weird to me.

1 Like

Yeah, Underwood Wally is "Old School " but honest and legit. And great phones too… :grinning:

Well, gents, I just called over there and had a fantastic conversation with the gentleman at Underwood. Very cool dude, and HP-2s are on the way. I am stoked! I was going to go with the Kennerton Vali, but I think this is the right move.

3 Likes

Nice :wink:. I thought about the Valis’ also… maybe next pair

1 Like

It was a tough call. Part of me likes the way the Vali is built, but I think overall the HP-2 will provide a better experience. I like Bass, but I would not call myself a Bass head, so I think the HP-2 will be just right for me. I’m excited to get them in. This will most likely be the last thing I buy for quite a while. Of course, I have said that before and yet, here we are.

But I REALLY mean it this time! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

The HP-2s arrived today. I have had them on for 3 hours now. I’m not sure what to say.

First off, they arrived incredibly fast. Less than a week. So big props to Underwood HiFi. When I tore into the box, I pulled out an exceptional carrying case. And then, of course the headphones themselves. There are many pics here, so I won’t bore you with another one… Oh alright! :laughing: Just one

A shot with its colleague! Anyway… These cans knocked my socks off immediately. First off, they are very well built and look amazing. Much better in real life than in pictures. Second, I know some people complained about the stock cable. Frankly, I feel it’s the best stock cable I have ever received. It’s beautifully constructed, great connectors and a nice cloth wrap. It sounds fantastic and I am not getting any noise off of it; not a sound when I run my hand down the cable, everything is great. Too bad it’s terminated single ended. I would have much preferred a balanced cable. I am wearing them right now and I am using the stocker. I have a balanced cable ready to go, but I’m gonna run them like this for a while.

Fit and comfort is top notch. The self-adjusting headband is great. I just put them on and boom! - just right. I don’t have to fuss with them, they just go on where they should be, and they stay there. Amazing. And they are very light. I have had them on for 3 hours now and I could do a couple more easily.

Sonically, I am blown away. I have them connected to the SA-1, and it’s fantastic. I mean, right out of the box, they are incredible. I am excited to hear them as they mature. I don’t think I can add anything that hasn’t been already said with regards to how they sound. The thing that impressed me right away was the detail. You hear everything. I had Natalie Hemby’s “Pins and Needles” album on, and there is a song called “Takes One to Know One”. In the intro someone is in a chair that has a slight squeak to it. I could hear that! I have not heard that before, and I have played this song a few times now. And the Bass. These will not blow you away from a Bass Head’s perspective; it’s the way the bass is delivered. It’s exceptionally clean with nice punch and control. Mids are perfectly balanced and deliver remarkable vocals. Top end is just right and won’t fatigue you.

The overall listening experience is exceptional. These are my new number one headphones. Clearly the best I have heard. And they are only gonna get better.

2 Likes

OK, so you know all that stuff I was saying about how good the stock cable sounded? Scrub it! :grin: I’m into a late-night session here and decided to go for the balanced cable. So, I installed the cable, connected to the TA-20 directly, fired up Sting’s “Ten Summoner’s Tales” and

Stage - wider. Clarity - huge improvement. Overall response and presentation - hands down more immersive and engaging. Pretty wild. Balanced is definitely the way to go. It’s 0130 and I don’t want to take these headphones off. Wow.

3 Likes

Darn, I like this headphones but I’m not blown away like you. I use an XDUOO XA-10 amp/dac (golden award from soundnews), and hifi tidal (from my honest gaming PC using descent USB cable). I use a soft EQ (Boom3D) for a V signature with ambiance mode.
I even use the balanced cable bought from Underwood, but no wow effect.
I consider buying a custom PSU for my amp.

I don’t know what wrong. I don’t have my experience with headphones, my previous one was a HE500 for the last 10 years. So maybe I’m expecting too much.

@raptor: could you be more precise about what amps you use? Maybe they are very expensive ones?

I LOVE these headphones! Just put them back on after a few weeks and they make me smile. Especially coming from the HD660’s. :+1:

They really do sound pretty open for a closed back.

2 Likes

Of course, with anything “Your mileage may vary.” It took me by surprise to have that reaction for sure. But I know it’s legit because I have had the same reaction every time I have put them on since. Somehow the tonality and the detail, the width of the stage, the tight, controlled bass and that great bass extension, it’s all right to my ears. I love these things.

As for my system, it’s not “high end”, but I have a reasonably good setup here. I have three options: The SA-1, The TA-20, and the TA-20 as a preamp feeding an SP200. This paring is really good because I get that tube goodness that adds great flavor to a clean, strong final stage. Frankly, they are all really good!

I would stick with them and let them settle in for a bit. Perhaps they’ll get better for you. Happy listening.

1 Like

Funny you should say that. I have the 660’ s on right now! I wanted to get some time on them and then switch over to the HP-2’s. I suspect I’m gonna smile, too. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the 660’s, too. But I think the HP-2’s are just… better.

1 Like

Haha ! At least, I don’t have to dream of 660’s and such now.
I really enjoy the HP-2 and I guess I just lack comparisons/references. I’ll loop up your set up.
What DAC do you use?

For info, for everyone:
the software EQ FXSound is now free.

I am currently running a Schiit Bifrost 2. Thanks for sharing the EQ link. I have yet to install a new EQ on the new laptop. So far, I have been enjoying listening to the headphones as is, this new machine seems to be doing well. However, at some point I will get an EQ installed. I’ll take a look at this one. :+1:

I really improved the sound, that even my wife, who thought the cans were crap, was impressed. She air drummed for a while on some classic rock.

First: the FXsound EQ sofware (free)

Second: ELFIDELITY AXF-100 PRO III Internal USB Power Filter for PC
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/pc-htpc-modules/elfidelity-axf-100-pro-iii-internal-usb-power-filter-for-pc-p-9056.html
Not sure about the overall impact, would need some more testing, but was only 40€.
Reviews say that a dedicated linear supply further improve it (an ifi audio for instance).

And third, the main upgrade: a linear power supply for my amp/DAC

It really opened up the sound making it livelier. Wow, very nice. Got the PSU used so had a good price.

For less than 200€ overall it really made a big diff.

1 Like

Anyone with the LSA HP-2 needs to go into Peace Equalizer and pick the Sennheiser Orpheus HE 1 by Crinacle AutoEQ measurement and change the 19khz gain to 0. Nope never selling these now. No more boxy hollow midrange and lack of punch, everything is now even more clear, spacious and dynamic. It is a very moving headphone now. S+ tier Closed back no doubt about it.

I spent hours going through hundreds of these AutoEQ measurements and a lot of them changed the frequencies too much, but these ones blew me away with the LSA:

Sennheiser Orpheus HE 1 (crinacle) (changed 19khz to 0)
Warwick Acoustics Aperio (oratory1990)
Warwick Acoustics Sonoma Model One (innerfidelity) (changed 19khz to 0)
AKG K872 Pro
AKG K280 Parabolic
Hifiman HE 1000 V2 (Crinacle)
Verum One (ZMF Ori Pads)
Sony MDR-R10

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this information. I never thought to try other headphone sound profiles for the HP-2. I will definitely give this a go! I enjoy the HP-2 very much myself and consider them to be the best set I own right now.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice and information. I too love my HP-2’s. I checked the website and didn’t see an option for a Mac download, just Windows. I’ve used the webforge site before and love their XLD program for music conversions, its excellent. Thanks again!
Cheers

1 Like

Play with the sliders and tell me what you think.

1 Like

Thank you! I just used my equaliser on the MacBook and dropped the last frequency on it (14k). I apparently misread your post and reduced it to -18db … the sound did change dramatically with your stated improvements were also present! I’ll keep fiddling around with various settings. Thank you again for the incredible information.

Cheers

Well OK, I finally got into a position where I can actually check this out! I have made sure Peace was all up to snuff and such and have set the values in.

I will say that first impressions are favorable. I’m gonna have a nice session with this setup tonight and see how it wears on me. I’ll be running the SA-1 this evening, so this will be a lot of fun. I would like to thank you for this recommendation. :+1:

1 Like