New rig, new gear - need advice for immersion - anything up to 400ish EURO

I would definitely recommend against the sheepskins they tend to make beyers somehow a bit more sibilant to my ear. You shouldn’t really lose clarity but it can dial the treble back into more dark territory which can cause things to sound a bit muffled or veiled till you mentally adjust to it. Suedes are what I use but they hit the treble pretty hard. If your wanting to keep the 880s signature overall and just increase that bass probably best to look at the Hybrids as while it does push back the mids and treble a small amount the bass gets a large amount of increase… makes it a bit more V signatured

https://dekoniaudio.com/beyerdynamic-dt1990-measurements/

you can see what each pad does with the DT 1990 as the testing headphone here at the link. GIves you a good general idea of what you would want.

Sgould i buy the topping d30+a30 or schiit modi 3+heresey or magni 3+. I’ll be using it for gaming (competitive fps games) and listening to pop and edm music with my beyerdynamic custom studios.

I would side with Schiit as I really like their products. Granted for beyers and their treble I would definitely side more towards monoprice and the spark stack over both due to the added warmth and treble roll it provides

Which monorice stack? (btw i can only spend like $240) also was that just your personal preference or it really is a better choice?

I did say which one

^

everything in this hobby is subjective preference. Depends on what you want. More warmth and some roll in the treble due to brightness concerns… liquid spark would be a great option… cleaner more neutral maybe a bit more coloration Schiit Magni/heresy. Really is no “better” just preferences less your comparing later on pieces of equipment

Oof i just checked out prices and the schiit stack is overpriced here in philippines (online). The only brands i find is Fiio, Topping, Fx, and Xduoo. So… Which stack is best under $240? (i recently saw the e30+L30 stack and the d30+a30 is there a better stack eithin those brands i mentioned?

I honestly would just go with the topping stack at that point then. L30+E30 is the step above D30+A30 more power, cleaner, more refinement, etc. Xduoo is more for like portable stuff outside of the things such as their tube amps and what not… fx I would just skip if you wanted power… Fiio is okay but again is more portable stuff less you count things such as K5 pro over there which isn’t particularly bad but I definitely would take a stacked unit over it if in budget.

ight ill go with the L30+E30 then. Any Rca cables you recommend? btw how do you connect an amp dac stack to a pc? will i be needing a usb a to b cable? if so, would any cable be alright or does higher quality cables make clearer sound?

eh not really since i just use cheap monoprice ones.

dacs normally come with a cable that connects them to the pc unit. When I bought the E30 it only came with it’s power cable which is actually a little usb charging cable that you would see for things such as a phone. It requires a second cable with the USB A - B as a separate purchase of which this cable connects to your pc to let you actually use the unit. You can use the power supplies usb to connect to your computer if you wish to have the pc power the e30, meaning you have to use up 2 usb slots 1 for power 1 for actually using the unit, otherwise just connect it to one of the wall wart usb power supplies you’d have for a phone or something and you will be fine

ohhhhh ight i get it know thanks mate

just in case I can increase my budget for a dac and amp stack… what is the best dac and amp for gaming that will not “over power” my beyerdynamic custom studio? (just curious if there is such a thing) like the absolute best dac and amp specifically for my headphones for i guess atleast below $600 idk (keep in mind that I’m still quite novice about audiophile stuff so yeah)

go my pads and I’m going nuts.
They’re all comfortable and initially they sounded differently, but now I’m going back and forth and they’re starting to all sound the same. The suede are giving me the oust bass though, for sure. Tried with and without protective foam, barely makes a difference. They’re maybe ever so slightly more open and detailed, but I feel more comfortable with a protective layer in place.

Bass is close but I could hear more with the hybrids/sheepskin, but right now I can’t hear that same difference at all, so taking a break…see if that changes anything.

Also tried dolby atmos or dts, but both are rubbish. I prefer DTS for directionality but it’s a far cry from an actual surround setup.

update
going for the sheepskin for now. They seem to be ion between the hybrids and and the suede.
They sound a little fuller than the hybrids but not as much as the suede. The suede are a bit much.
But I want to check again tomorrow morning or so. I used to be able to hear the breathing on the zreviews sound demo, but I’m not picking it up anymore even on the original pads, no idea why.

Lol you get that when you have good soundstage headphones. Glad to hear your enjoying your stuff.

The only other amp brand that comes to mind may be lake people but I don’t have experience with them just heard great things and see them suggested alot. I’d ask around a bit… your location has me a bit stumped on what’s actually available. You do have the… I think its toppings a50s? I’d have to check a bit later but it’s practically a mini a90 which is superb and I think the dacs d50s. Not sure if within budget but they would be a cut above the l30 stack

1 Like

Ight thanks

another question. would the sound quality of using the beyerdynamic custom studio 80 ohm with the L30+E30 stack be significantly better (like very much better) than the sound quality of the headphones without a dac nor amp?

FiiO K5pro would already be a big step from onboard audio

edit because all the Lake People talk…
I like the G109 for my studios - overkill but they do scale very good

@Jan_Obra maybe just open a new thread, for all your question

onboard is always worse than an amp and dac. in those price ranges

Ight sorry hehe :sweat_smile: (thanks for info though)

1 Like

Has anybody had any experience with redscape audio?
The surround on the demo was really not more convincing than any other software surround, but the soundstage, at least with THEIR samples was a night and day difference, no comparison at all.
The head tracking also seems to work pretty well. I’m tempted to give it a shot.

OK I bit the bullet and I’m testing the software. The tracker is probably going to take months before it arrives. In games, I can’t really tell a difference in sound stage compared to DTS for example. The surround on the other hand is noticeably more subtle, to the point where I would say the game is not doing a good job of using surround rather than redscape not doing its thing. Every now and then though there is a gunshot in the distance that sounds pretty convincing. Tried comparing it to waves nx and they seem pretty neck to neck, but the redscape client is better.

I would have liked to compare to OOYH but I couldn’t get it running and the client is pretty bad.
It runs but I get an unbearable crackling all the time and their workaround of restarting it/changing the sample rate didn’t do anything. Redscape and waves worked out of the box.

***update ***
Tried a few songs and it’s subtle difference in soundstage for most, for the better.
Other songs are a night and day difference, like…wow. And I can’t describe what it deos to the bass, but I like it. It was loud/precise/punchy enough before, but with this it has so much more body. This brings it up to the JVCs in terms of bass for me. It’s not the same rumble which is borderline impossible without actual subwoofers like those, but I enjoy the experience at least as much.