New Schiit Vali 2+: Impulse buy and exploration

So I stumbled across a little update Schiit has done to the Vali 2 that they call the Vali 2+. Seeing how Schiit has been killing it with their latest releases, I couldn’t miss a chance to check it out plus take a chance to dip a toe in the tube world.

I’ll be updating this thread as I play around with different headphones, DACs, and even have some tubes on the way. The main goal is get more enjoyment out of my Eikons (love them), but I think I’ve done all I can to get the sound out of them with solid state gear outside of some constant current amplifiers. Initial impressions: Hands down improvement.

Just an FYI, my #1 interest in this amp is going to ask 1 question for me outside of the Eikons; is this THE amplifier to get if you’re looking for something compliment/replace a Magni Heresy/3+?

7 Likes

Not knowing the cans that well, I’d think that there’s both “better” and “more different” options than this to complement a Magni. They’re 300 ohm, correct? What about full-on OTL for more different? Or if you want a hybrid, maybe balanced to Liquid Platinum? Seems like you could aim higher for the quality of cans those seem to be.

That said I thank you for posting this because I hadn’t seen the news of this new iteration from School yet, and it looks interesting.

So after listening a bit more to this amp (and being WAY too busy). This little Vali 2+… needs a different tube. I swapped a used (and more expensive than the amp) tube with the stock GE and WOW. So much more space and clarity. The Eikons were much more enjoyable with different tubes to open up the the treble and midrange and became more holographic. The Klipsch HP-3 works surprisingly with the 2+ (and I hope I can get the DFC sound with a wider sound stage and a different DAC).

Remind me, do you own / have listened to the Liquid Platinum? I’d b interested to know how this compares / how much of the way you’d be getting to that kind of sound with the Vali 2+. Probably quite tube dependent I would assume? Maybe it’s not a good comparison to make. I’m just thinking I could probably justify $150 to play with tubes… Maybe not $400.

This tube amp is the one if you want to try tubes. I do recommend getting a converter for getting it to work with 6SN7 tubes (I saw them on the tube depot). If you plan on using the Liquid Platinum exclusively as balanced, I heard a lot of people are quite happy.

If want the Vali 2+, I am enjoying a lot of what I am hearing. I have the Schiit Heresy and this little amp is impressive and does some unique things.

Do you know what the difference is with the +? I owned a Vali 2 but tired of it very quickly and it came with several different tubes.
I found it very loud and clear, but not especially “tubey”.

I saw on a forum the Vali 2+ is just a nicer amp overall. I never owned a different tube amp before. The fact I only need 1 tube to tube roll to understand why tubes are appealing is good enough. If you don’t plan on tube rolling, just get a Magni 3+. The stock tube was different but the advantage I got after minimal tube rolling has me loving this thing.