No amp required

Once you get into the higher ranges, and amp/dac makes more and more sense. It just helps you get more out of your higher end stuff

Also hold on for a sec, try to edit your original post now

1 Like

I’m able to edit again thanks!

I’d say stay away from everything Grado unless you wanna deal with GIGANTIC 2k peaks and a very bright sound overall:

First one is SR60e second one is SR80e, but pretty much every Grado sounds like this with 10db peaks at 2k and the entire treble range being very bright and rolled off subbass.

This sound might work for certain music but will be painful for other.

1 Like

Oppo PM-3 and Sine on-ear

1 Like

I’m assuming that would be grating over long listening sessions. I do prefer the x2’s over the shp9500’s for most of my listening if that’s any reference. When I’m following lyrics though I’ll grab the shp9500’s because I think the vocals are easier to distinguish.

What are the most obvious benefits to a portable dac/amp? My ears aren’t as well trained as I’m sure many of yours are.

From what I see with the unlimited budget focal elex should be easy enough to drive

1 Like

Cal 1, i use them all the time when i travel and just want some music off my tablet.

1 Like

Typically you get more headroom, better control over the driver leading to a more refined sound, better resolving power because of the dac/amp, and also more impact. Can also improve soundstage and imaging as well. It depends on the headphone for how much these changes will be noticable

1 Like

Yeah, the elex are actually pretty decent off of a phone

1 Like

I think the 660s and 58x are also perfectly fine without an amp.

1 Like

Imagine buying 660s.

This post was brought to you by 58X gang. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Well if you live in California you have this option for the 660s.
https://soundclubsf.com/

1 Like

Imagine buying M50x.

This post was brought to you by M40x gang. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I keep hearing about the cal much like the m50x it seems to have legendary status

Except I would rather have the Cal over the m50x lol

1 Like

Quite the onslaught of benefits … I’ll have to consider that moving forward after I ‘get my feet wet’

It’s fairly inexpensive and sounds pretty good. It’s small statured and so far has held up to travel in a cheap case. For me, in a hotel room, just relaxing and needing some tunes it works fine or sometimes I use IEM’s.

1 Like

This looks amazing… I however am in a northern Canadian town and have to purchase everything online.

1 Like

Seems like my exact use case for the porta pros lol I dont have any closed back headphones so this seems like a no brainer given the price and fan fair.

1 Like