No Serious Business - IEM Edition

In that case, it’s possible to label anything that can carry an electric signal a cable. It would technically be doing its job as long as the signal is transmitted.

That does not tell you anything about how it sounds however. Only that it sounds.

4 Likes

By thicken you mean tame it a bit? 4-7k is pretty broad frequency range to be influenced by the cable.
Certainly I wouldn’t like that cable makes such drastic changes

Obviously graphs cannot tell the whole story :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Do you want beautiful sound that won’t tire you or do you want true sound reproduction?

There are very few people in the high end speaker world that prefer horn speakers due to how revealingly raw and dynamically truthful they are. It’s not fun listening to trumpets actually sounding like real trumpets for very long, it’s extremely tiresome.

No, people prefer refined, polished audio reproduction for medium to long enjoyment.

3 Likes

Well, yes. Cable should do only that, carry the signal. It’s then up to the transcuder to “color” the original signal. Everything else in the chain shouldn’t affect the signal.
At least that’s my view on it lol

1 Like

But if music is itended that way, you should buy different speakers, not cables imo

Every component in an audio chain provide different levels of tonal compromise. It’s always tilting one way or another.

Nothing is 100% uncolored and its not necessarily the case that you would want that anyway.

You could pair a neutral IEM with a neutral source and a neutral cable. I’m not convinced the final result would be more enjoyable or more dynamic than pairing a warm set of IEMs with a colder source and the same neutral cable to achieve a similar tonal balance.

Hope that makes sense.

1 Like

A horn speaker for example has large benefits in terms of realistic gritty immediate dynamics but that same strength is also its weakness for most people. It’s not as refined as other speaker technologies.

Horns require an audio chain that dulls its sharpness and makes it sweet on the ears while retaining its strong characteristics.

Pairing horns with a very warm tube amp and the right cable, DAC and interconnects may make it so it’s just perfect for some people who would otherwise think it too sharp, while it’s still too sharp for others.

In 2021 we have companies like Matrix, Topping, Hidizs etc. which made possible, for us consumers, to have digital to analog converters, amplifiers etc. with such low SNR that it basically doesn’t affect input signal.
If one amplifier sound warm, it means that it’s signal to noise is pretty low and noise affects the signal. It’s purpose it’s only to amplify the signal, not change it on the way.
So only sound coloring should be done by an IEM

Yes but you don’t buy horns to sound refined? You buy them to have that dynamic sound that only horns produce?
If you buy horns to sound refined, you wasted your money

This is a common misconception… It’s also not a popular opinion held by people who are experienced. Speaker designers deliberately season their speakers with strategic peaks and valleys to make it sound more dynamic. Some speaker designers even design speakers around the cabinets ability to hum along with the drivers to enrich the overall sound.

The quest for perfect neutral sound always end up sounding sterile and lifeless and annoying. Perfect neutrality is good for mixing, that’s its only real usage.

You don’t want to hear all frequencies at perfectly equal amplitude because we are more sensitive to certain areas than other.

1 Like

No because there are ways to have the cake and eat it too :slight_smile: as I described in one of my earlier comments, finding synergy between components is a must if you want to squeeze out the potential of the entire system - minimizing weaknesses and maximizing strengths.

1 Like

Horns can sound good with right low powered amplification. I have been an audiophile for a long time and do not think cables change sound drastically if at all. However if you feel they benefit your listening experience use them,

3 Likes

Just gonna step in here guys, it’s getting quite off topic and don’t want it to become an argument, if you want to continue the conversation then by all means take it to PM’s :wink:

6 Likes

But by searching this “synergy”, you’re in never ending loop because you always change one link in the chain. If you have 2 links in the chain that are neutral, you only have 3rd to change in order to find your sweet spot

I’m done anyway :v::sweat_smile: I could already sense your footsteps lol.

3 Likes

Synergy among components that I agree with. That is true. I just do not think of cables as components. I do agree with what you on many things but I spent a lot of money chasing ghosts with cable. That only my opinion. I could just not be able to hear the changes.

Sorry and no arguement here just a friendly audiophile discussion. Life be boring if we all agreed. I respect everyone’s opinion. :smile:

1 Like

wut-jamesfranco

2 Likes

You saying?