Nymzreviews.com official thread

Thread and Life update

Well… How do I start?

From the begining I guess. When I made this thread I had no idea I would become a reviewer. All I had was a collection, friends, a passion and a pair of ears. Fast forward a couple of months later, here we are. This thread turned into a small reflection of the comunity, which was the target all along.

To reach and help such comunity, I had to make choices that I couldn’t without any help. I had to start accepting loans, review samples and basicly: become a reviewer. My intention was never to get freebies, and those who talk to me behind the scenes know it. I’m the guy that will pay if he cans for something he could probably get some other way. But all that exposure got me to where I am today, doubling the experience and being able to give back the double.

Given that, I kept investing in better ways to help around. I gave away most of my gear for free, in private, including samples, so people can experience new stuff. I also invested in increasing the quality of my reviews and databases:

1. I bought a coupler, a soundcard and I made a squig database

PS: HUGE shoutout to Mark/SuperReviews for setting me up in no time and giving me the opportunity to use this platform! Make sure to check him out on his YouTube channel!

My database is still small, as I gave most away or I don’t have most of the stuff I’ve demoed to date with me anymore, but it will grow.

My target was also slightly tweaked to match better my coupler:

From now on I can basicly graph all my new stuff on the fly, especially IEMs that are still prototypes, without needing 3rd parties. I can also measure EQs, mods, tips or anything that needs to be done.

2. I bought some photograph gear

Well, I love taking nice pics of my gear. I finally invested in some lightning and a macro lens. I can finally do some cute stuff like this:

3. I edited some posts/the thread

When I made this thread, I had no idea of some of these forums limitations about edits. I had to ask help to @M0N , which I would like to publicly thank by the way. Some of my posts were misleading and out of date, so most were edited or removed. Basicly, a generic clean canvas.

Thread’s name was also updated to avoid misleading. All the rest is the same!

Now, to finish the update, I’d like to give you a small life update and why I went semi-rogue on the last 2 weeks.

Work got heavy, I basicly did no music time unless for first impressions. I literally had no time but comutes only. That ended up kinda well as I got a promotion (yey, more money for IEMs I guess… but also more responsability? -.-), and we’ll see from here.

I will now proceed to dump all the stuff I got noted, photographed and others over the last weeks. I had my Tea2 review done for 2 weeks and I couldn’t post it… I’m hoping Linsoul isn’t that mad : ’ )

I hope everyone is doing great, listening to music, in good health and f*** Put*n.

With love,

nymz, the reviewer
CEO of Tea Cult

22 Likes

Question for you @nymz , i noticed that your graph of KL and @hawaiibadboy 's is drastically different in the bass region. I know graphs will differ depending on a lot of factors but this seems like a huge difference.
I used precogs target as a reference. HBB’s graph follows the target whereas yours is a way leaner in the mid bass.

2 Likes

Different couplers, different tips, different insertion

3 Likes

I am aware of that. Might be nothing, might be something. I have to re do the measurements tomorrow on ejs, teas and rsv.

Edit: I just re-did it with comply foams:

Same results. I’ll talk to Joseph.

2 Likes

Do you think you got a regular EJ07M?

1 Like

I would hope that it would not make such a difference. I get the treble area may be affected most but that bass looks radically different and rather EJ07M -esque

1 Like

They can, Dunu has compiled multiple graphs from other people with their iems.

(Titan S, IEC711 couplers)

@nymz looks like it has less sub-bass than mine. Could be his coupler combined with the fact that my own coupler has a bit more sub-bass than some others.

4 Likes

Where are the kinda lavas on sale?

iiiii hope they go on sale in 10 hrs on linsoul :eyes:

nymz: * China PTSD flashback *

3 Likes

wait now there is coupler variaton :tired_face:

Measuring couplers response on one rig with fixed source - that’s a next level niche in this hobby… But honestly that would be somehow fun if someone would agree with Crin, HBB, precog and all whales to measure their equipment and how do they vary and how it impacts the perspective.
Or probably not THAT lot of fun :stuck_out_tongue:

Joseph confirmed it’s KL graph. Makes sense because ej07m has usually a tucked in mid bass and KL has a slight engage through the mid range. It’s really a coupler difference, it seems. I will be able to graph and hear them this week so, it’s all good!

3 Likes

I will only be able to hear EJ07m on tuesday and compare :confused:

2 Likes

Everything matters, everything is a variable. Stock is NX7.

This is all done with silicone stock tips… Once I change tips, different results will show. Like:

6 Likes

That is a huge difference between sources especially in my opinion. Did you remove the bud from the coupler while changing NX7 → Gryphon or just replug the jack? I guess it is normalized at 1kHz?

2 Likes

I didnt. It’s due to Volume stupid sensitivity. Sources with higher OI will increase its bass.

Those are all normalized at 1k and i try to always align my measures with 8k peak.

1 Like

Speaking of high end audiophile DAPs I am testing new german ALBI DAP with my daughter this weekend.
I can tell you it has nice grainy warm signature and opens up the stage very wide. Look is very modern and shape is practical, but the materials are cheap, battery sucks and lack of screen is a problem partially forgiven for informative LEDs

Here is the picture:

But joking aside it really plays wave files and mp3s from micro SD and deserted on an island with it I could use it with only a little ear bleed

9 Likes

Do you have cross measurements NX7/gryphon from anything else (more predictable than Volume) to see how that looks? Also what DAC do you use with NX7?

1 Like

I tried with Tea, tea2 and Ejs. All the same.

Dac is a ddhifi dongle.

1 Like