Nymzreviews.com official thread

It really depends on your preferences and priorities, as well as libraries. Both are beasts, but different from each other!

The first graph was born. Uncalibrated, zero alignment, but a happy smile.

3 Likes

5k dip ftw!

2 Likes

Alright guys, so I’ve been tinkering with Olina mods for the last 5 days and I think I finally found the one. For reference I went from:

1. B2 filter on top of Olina filter+foam tips
  2. B2 filter on top+Olina filter on vent+foam tips
  3. Replaced the Olina filter with thicker Hana filter+foam tips
    to finally
  4. Putting another Olina filter on top of the pre-existing stock filter (so double filter)+stock tips

This double filter stock tip mod tames the bright mids and treble (especially at high volume) while maintaining everything else.

It’s been a hell of a journey team :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Hey nymz, what is being graphed here? Still waiting eagerly for Part 2 of the Kinda Lava report, especially where you can compare them with the EJ07m. Did you get a loan of the 07m? Any word on your lost pair? Feeling for you there.
My custom 07m KL tuned still have not reached my freight forwarder in CA, but are close, should be another 2 weeks IF all goes well.
God Bless,
Wayne

Do you think the kinda lava rewiew will be out be4 the sale at the end of the month?

The graph is Teas. Squig will be up today :slight_smile:

No, still waiting on Akros
 He got sick and we couldnt meet yet :confused: my own ej07m is still lost somewhere in china -. - I will do ej07 vs KL anyway this weekend!

1 Like

Maybe. Most of the stuff will be written by then. My last review (tea2) is ready to be posted (minus more pics) for 2 weeks now and I literally had no time.

I will try to rush KL’s asap since I have to send it to other person after I’m done so he can review as well. I will keep you posted.

3 Likes

Follow up on the Q5k.
It can handle low sensitivity planars relatively well on balanced output. My 93dbB/mW, 35 Ohm HE-400i are too loud for me even at -12dB from max volume. So some slight +5dB EQ should be doable if needed.
It is not a big headroom for those mythical +40dB “transients”, but I have not heard yet any clipping or lack of power when compared to 400mW hip dac - they sound just slightly different (probably because I have xBass always on).
More tests to follow, but it is good to know that I don’t need to bring back my work setup to listen to something like that at home

7 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

You’re one of the first guys I’ve come across where your words come across as clear and knowledgeable without being too complicated thus being over my head, someone who doesn’t really know the technicals of DACS and Amps and what not 
 bravo, man. I look forward to more of your reviews.

3 Likes

Super happy to see that you have a squig now. I have to say I think that your target is also my target

1 Like

Oof that background on your squig

Magnifique!

If you like some snake-oil-free simple minded approach to technical stuff I highly recommend reading Crinacle’s blog for good amount of high quality explanations of those basic audio concepts without any marketing shilling, based purely on measurable data. Sometimes he overlooks some details, but generally it is great and simply presented content.
On the other end of the spectrum of knowledgeable people on the internet you have PSaudio blog on YouTube. He must be the nicest and easiest to listen person in there and he generally describes audio concepts in very friendly way. There is one BUT though as he is front man of company selling high end audio stuff (DACs, speakers, cables for thousands of dollars) and for stuff he does not have verifyable data (like cables composition effect on sound) he just forgets his technical background and data-based approach and goes over with statements like - “it changes the sound noticeably” etc

2 Likes

Went to my local audio store to demo some DAPs today and boy do I found some neat and not so neat ones. I mainly demo-ed the Shanling M6 21 and M6 Pro 21 and I only used my Moondrop Variations though out my time there.

Left, my M3X. Middle, Shanling M6 21. Right, Shanling M6 Pro 21.

Quick impressions, M6 21 felt like a beefed up version of the M3X. It’s slight wider and resolving but so does my M3X when I stacked it up with my Q3 to an extend. Not a huge upgrade but it is an upgrade in an ok way.

The M6 Pro though
 man, that opened up my Variations wide open in the soundstage and imaging. The sound does felt more flat and clinical in a way, but it still has that great shanling sound to it that I’m used to. It also brings out the sub-bass from my Variations.

Next, I tried the Fiio M11 plus that recently came out. Long story short, despite having the same DAC chips as the M6 Pro 21, the sound felt more intimate and brought out the vocals a lil bit more. It’s pretty good for vocal focused songs but not really if I listen to the majority of my Kpop music library. Even if Fiio have all the bells and whistles android features that other DAPs doesn’t have, I still prefer Shanling’s tuning. Maybe cause my ears are used to it compared to the Fiio sound so YMMV. The Fiio M11 Plus is also cheaper than the M6 Pro 21.

Finally, I listened to the Astell&Kern SR25 MKII that I didn’t know it got an upgrade. To put it simply, it’s also kinda like a beefed up version of the M3X. Slight better sounding here and there so it was nothing to shout about. It’s also almost similar sounding to the M6 21 and the M6 21 is much cheaper. For almost double the price of the M3X, they sure are the same size, though the SR25 MKII felt more weight-y and premium-y. Sound-wise, not for me and my music library.

I went out of the store today loving the Shanling M6 Pro 21 a lot. The only set back was that it’s using the old Android 7 OS which can’t be upgraded so I’m mildly cautious in terms of the longevity of the device. As much as I’m listening offline when I’m out, I tend to use Apple Music Lossless more ever since I got my M3X. Was scarily close to pulling trigger to trade in my M3X though :sweat_smile:

I may or may not be able to demo those 2 upcoming Sony DAPs next weekend. :eyes:

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing, I love DAPs!

I’m currently in love with Cayin house sound. Hope you get to try one soon! :slight_smile:

That sonys look hot :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

They have the new Cayin n8ii available to demo but I was too into the Shanling DAPs today. :joy:

Will definitely try their DAPs the next time I’m there!

1 Like

You gotta do it for science!!

Wish I could demo stuff :frowning:

3 Likes

Ever since I got into IEMs, I would love to do a vacation in Singapore

3 Likes

“Wish I could demo stuff”, well said nymz!!!
And lilhm, I used to get to go often to S’pore, sure wish I could again!!!
But sadly, cannot.
That is why reviews are so important to so many of us these days.
God Bless,
Wayne

1 Like