Nymzreviews.com official thread

Haha I meant like from a cables stand point. How do you connect the 2?

3.5mm to 3.5mm regular cable. I have one from topping and one from amazon

I just checked Linsoul and they have DMs in stock although itā€™s a revised versionā€¦

2 Likes

How I imagine ā€œrevising the Dark Magicianā€

8 Likes

Have you tried W01 tips on Timeless?

1 Like

Iā€™m in a similar situation: the 200$ timeless is the most expensive set I own to date.

I even got a little disappointed with this (but it still get some listening time) so I am very careful about anything proceed above 100$ now.

3 Likes

No, sorry. I wasnt aware of W01 by the time I had Timeless. I used CP100 as they are pretty neutral and vocal forward to my ears, which Timeless enjoyed.

Yeahā€¦ Thatā€™s DM2. Itā€™s not the same, sadly. A few folks got it and they werenā€™t impressed, unfortunately.

@Tfaduh has both, so he can maybe give his input on it as well.

1 Like

Raptgo Hook-X - First Impressions

Disclaimer: This unit was sent to me for free by Linsoul in exchange for a review. No influence or pressure was applied, and the words you are about to read are my own thoughts and opinions. Thanks again to all the Linsoul team for the opportunity and support.

If you have been following the IEM scene since around September last year you probably know by now about the wave that made it to shore regarding planars: 7hz released a competitive offer that made some splash, but once reviewers got their hands on it, it turned into a Tsunami.

As always, I was late to the party thanks to national couriers. I was getting so desperate I bought another unit from the DUDO Audio Store around Christmas time and asked for express shipping, which ended up with me receiving two units around the same time. This was actually fine since people realized revisions were made shortly after his launch. I compared both versions, they were pretty close, so I ignored that fact and just focused on how good Timeless is - and oh boy, it is good.

Timeless gave me that ā€œwowā€ factor that most IEMs seem to fail nowadays. It had major flaws like its imaging chops but its resolving power for around 200 were shocking, as it was giving tribids runs for their money. In 5 minutes it got an instant and severe rec from me, despite its technical flaws and me finding its treble on the harsher side.

Shortly after my take I got amazing news from one of my favorite companies: Letshuoer was about to enter the planar world with the now famous S12. Two weeks later from me auditioning two units of 7hz Timeless, a new king was born. They are pretty close, with S12 coming out as having a better stage and imaging, bass texture and costing way less, at the cost of being brighter (but less harsh to my ears). The consensus was kind of wide - if you have none buy S12, if you had Timeless already, save the bucks).

I would also like to mention that Timeless was not my first planar IEM. Tin Hifi P1 Plus made its way into my desk a couple of days before the black disk did and I wasnā€™t impressed, but rather disappointed. As I always like to shorten my collection as much as possible, both units of Timeless and P1 Plus were sold and only S12 was kept, as I now regret not keeping one of the 7hz units, as it would be great for comparisons right now as I canā€™t A/B it with Raptgo Hook-X.

Given how I felt about S12 vs Timeless, I donā€™t think there will be a problem not having it with me, but still, no direct comparisons will be made to other planars* other than S12 in this impressions or in my final review.

*Iā€™m trying to get hold of the Tin Hifi P1 Max.

The Hook-X

Raptgo Hook-X announcement made everyone take a second look. At a glance, the offer was curious, to say the least. Separating itself from the competition, it packs a semi-open back design and adds a piezo driver, turning itself as a promising hibrid unit and one never seen, on top of looking great, especially paired with a abnormal choice of stock cable (that compliments it great, let me tell you).

Delving directly into sound as Iā€™ve rambled too much, I will start this quick first impressions with an honest take: It didnā€™t ā€œwowā€ me. At least not like Timeless did back in December.

Let me try to explain to you why. At first glance, Hook-X doesnā€™t come out as resolving as its competition. I will attribute this fact majorly to a better treble tuning instead of a peaky boost around the middle area. Compared to the S12, treble is more balanced, both in the graph than in the ear. The mid range area is also more recessed when hearing pianos or female vocals (Hania Rani - Leaving) so thatā€™s probably where Iā€™m complaining the most about detail lacking compared to other planars.
If I had to resume it, I would consider Hook-X as having a more smoothed out presentation, leaning towards a relaxed signature instead of an ultra engaging one.

The second thing was the naturally found ā€œplanar timbreā€ in these type of IEMs. Thereā€™s something more exotic to my ears and less planary-like, maybe thanks to the addition of the piezo driver. The replay wonā€™t feel as light and speedy like I got used to - which Iā€™m by no means saying this is a bad thing, as I always like to ask ā€œhow fast is too fast?ā€.

Adding the two factors above, and maybe very high expectations, I got a bittersweet sensation on my stomach. I was expecting the same feeling I got from Timeless and I didnā€™t.

A week has passed and Iā€™m ready to say Hook-X is still not perfect, but growing on me. The analog type of sound lets you sit on your lazyboy, enjoy a good glass of whiskey on a rainy day outside with the fireplace pumping. Which I find amazing because I donā€™t like whiskey, I donā€™t own a fireplace or a lazyboy and itā€™s very hot in Portugal.

Thereā€™s an upper hand to Hook-X every other planar Iā€™ve heard to date - itā€™s stage size. Probably attributed to the semi-open back design and the better treble extension, it puts offers like Timeless to shame in this regard. Itā€™s still far from perfect, but a big step in the right direction.

Another thing that Iā€™m starting to appreciate more and more is the mid-bass slam, which is somewhat present and lets itself show off on prominent kickdrums, as can be heard on tracks like the live loop of ā€œHow to get what you wantā€ by Elyse Trouw.

Last good quality I would like to point out is the lack of sibilance on female vocals. The controlled pinna gain is certainly the guilty one for this, but I love it for that, that together with the smoothen out presentation, lets you just immersive listen instead of watching out for your ears.

For those who care for tip and source rolling, I found Hook-X to be more enjoyable the moment I swapped out from Cayin RU-6 given its analog basis and used my Xduuo. As for tips, I didnā€™t love CP100 with it, so went and tried BGVP A07, but a friend told me to try stock blue ones and Iā€™m enjoying them more. They are short and the deeper fit helps with the mids, to my ears.

As every other offer, Hook-X comes with compromises and trade-offs. If I had to rank it right now I would place it around its brothers, given that if I let Timelessā€™ imaging pass and still recommend it, I feel that it would be unfair to criticize Raptgo on this one, as they are flour of the same bag. Value wise, I still think LETSHUOERā€™s offer is the one to beat, as I paid around 140usd for it (donā€™t quote me, but I think the price raised meanwhile).

I will keep Hook-X playing for a little longer before writing my thoughts as I think I wouldnā€™t be totally fair to it if I wrote them right now.

Preliminary rankings - Value 4/5. Personal Ranking: Around 7

15 Likes

Would anyone happen to own both the Tea and Tea 2 and a Q5K? I tried Crins EQ preset for the Tea on my Tea 2. Wondering how close it may come and if I can save myself some money. Iā€™m really digging the sound just has me wondering if this is pretty close to the actual IEM.

:fire: :fire: :fire: those little sentences are why you reviews are very easy and satisfying to read

Could you explain the Personal Ranking scale a little though? Is it X/10 or is it a place in your ranking?

3 Likes

I do have the three things but both Teas are out on a loan, sorry :frowning:

@igor0203 has my pairs for a spin

1 Like

I get so frustrated with this whole QC issue.
Here we have a perfect example of how the Hook X graphs totally different to another iem thatā€™s being used as a comparison.
My personal Hook X graphed more relaxed as compared to my S12, while your one graphed brighter.
Seems that sound wise itā€™s not as bad as the graphā€¦but this is how you can brake or make am IEM.
Another example is the Museā€¦my one graphed weird, just off, while GizAudio said his one was even brighter than the Timeless and S12ā€¦not the case with mine.
Once more just frustrating , as us as reviewers have to give opinions based on what we have on front of us, and more often than what should be permissible we get lemons.

5 Likes

Ahah, thanks :pray:

Itā€™s the ranking that goes on my list. I have redoing it piece by piece for a while now. I used to do S to E, but that felt unfair, so I went with 10 to 1.

The rankings will be basic on how good I feel something is according to my preferences and tastes. Basicly how something replays my library and how I feel how good it is. A good example is Variations, that doesnt match my library, but I still consider a solid choice.

My list is more of a walk through my likings and comments, trying to balance the bias vs the unbias.

1 Like

Looks like they removed a damping filter on then nozzle and dampened the inner vent more lol.

1 Like

Basicly, yes. Itā€™s the shame driver, same shell. Only dampening changed.

2 Likes

I use the E01 on the timeless. I would suggest trying them They made the Timeless sing for me I have to order YMZ rec to compare. Ali express is not very express for me to say the least lol

Keep in mind W01 are wide and might treble boost your timeless, which Im not sure you want to :joy:

No not for the timeless I doubt I change from what I am using but I found having a variety of good tips allows you to give iems a fair shot. I do subscribe to differences in ear canals that cause different tips to work on some iems. There are my lonely blessing 2 sitting in the case and the ISN 49 who I should tip roll because it has to be better than what I have got out of it Thanks for the advice friend.

1 Like

This literally made me laugh out loud :rofl:

Fantastic write up yet again, my robot friend. Iā€™ve been comparing the Hook with the Elixir as my next purchase. I think the $150-$250 or so price range is so hot right now, that it makes it incredibly difficult for me to choose which to get. It seems though that the Hook is somewhat similar to the Timeless, which I already have, so would you say that it would be redundant owning both? Iā€™ve never had a proper single DD set like the Elixir outside of the Mele so Iā€™m incredibly curious about it. HBB gave it a solid Rec, but so did he the Hook ā€¦ 1st world problems here :joy:

3 Likes