Nymzreviews.com official thread

Congratz! Talk through with Joseph as he will warn you that retuning aint EQ. Seeing you just want that savage sub, you might as well just retune it to M and call it a day.

Resin shells are on another level, fit wise.

3 Likes

Thanks Buddy, is Joseph arround here?

DonĀ“t quite understand the difference between EQ and retuning can you explain?

My idea was that i also would like to have that slight elevation in the mid bassā€¦so actually get a Kinda Lava how it was originally intended.

Only thing being mentioned was that the graph would not look good but that it is possible

1 Like

What I mean itā€™s that tuning isnt as accurate as EQing. Eith EQ you can fine tune, especially if you can graph your own unit.

And example would be adding +3DB low shelf @ 50hz. You cant ask for that precision. But shuoer tuner is a god and im sure he will find your needs for sure :dancer:

1 Like

Ok thanks for explaining, I think I will just not worry and everything will be fine :grin::heart:

And just in time for the long wait Fiio FH5 arrived today :star_struck: :ok_hand:t2:

First impression after half an hour is impressive, instant like and exactly what I was looking for.

Plan was to have another more FUN Set with good technicalities and FH5 definitely is thatā€¦ For 200ā‚¬ this could easily be an endgame for many

2 Likes

Nymz,
I listen to mostly DSD files and my Fiio M11 Plus Ltd will not EQ DSD files. Not sure who does? When my Kinda Lava came with less sub bass than the EJ07M I was very disappointed and felt there was false advertising involved. And paying $655 for a custom iem, I did not see that warranted asking me for an additional $160 to fix it. Worse yet, the treble is just too harsh. Again, I canā€™t EQ it.
God Bless,
Wayne

2 Likes

To be honest i also felt quite disappointed because of wrong advertising (HBB Videos) even though it was not ment to be like that, i understand that.

But i think there should be either a correction in the tuning or in the Review Videos so you donĀ“t feel fooled (or letā€™s better say misguided) when relying on the statements made there

2 Likes

Wayne have you thought about trying a HiBy player with MSEB?

1 Like

Hello Wayne,

I wasnā€™t advising to EQ the set. I was explained that asking for a retune isnā€™t like EQing a set.

Again, what I meant was that you canā€™t say simply ā€œoh I want to add +X amount of dbs to the sub-bassā€ because retuning wonā€™t work like that, as far as I understand and what Joseph explained to me.

Iā€™m sorry your experience is sub-par. Yours and everyone else. I wonā€™t get into that expectation vs reality thing because I think thatā€™s shuoer x HBB territory. Again, Iā€™m sorry.

5 Likes

Thanks Jason and Nymz,
No, I have 2 perfectly good sets of ciems from Eartech Music, never knew how great they are until trying to better them. But I have indeed spent my allowance on the Fiio M11 Plus Ltd. and the custom Shuoer EJ07mKL. And having done that I am back to the Eartechs and the Cowon Plenue M2. Superior in all cases except that the Fiio can play in balanced mode.
Sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes you are the Bug.
Thanks, God Bless,
Wayne

3 Likes

You canā€™t take Kinda lava and add sub-bass. That wonā€™t work. You also canā€™t take the 07m and add mid-bass to it. It will completely change the tuning, which you may not like. Itā€™s close to mind :)))

2 Likes

Agree 100%. Like I said above, if someone wants that sub bass, better to just go straight M.

2 Likes

Good to be aware of that, thanks for the input.
Will also discuss this with the tuner.

Does anybody need me to post the frequency graphs that HBB posted of his Kinda Lava vs the EJ07M sub bass? It was supposed to be significantly higher than the EJ07M.
God Bless,
Wayne

His pre-production unit is different than retail, ence all the drama.

Red is his unit. Blue is my unit measured by him on his own coupler.

Two KL vs EJ07m measured by me.

This is not a coupler thing, itā€™s really like that.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a pretty substantial difference between pre production and retail. I can understand people feeling misled if the pre-production graph was what was advertised

2 Likes

So we did not get what was advertised.
Not trying to raise a stink, but if you ask me, it does stink.
Thatā€™s the way the cookie bounces (i.e. it doesnā€™t).
God Bless,
Wayne

3 Likes

We should move this to the EJ07M thread but I would agree with you I felt my metal version would have that sub bass shown and it does not.

I have to use MSEB on my HiBy DAP to compensate and add a bit of low end sometimes when I want a bit more depending on what I a listening to.

I actually donā€™t have another set that is that flat neutral so itā€™s a nice and I really love the sound as is or boosted when I feel the need.

With DSD files when the MSEB doesnā€™t work I miss nothing love them as is and enjoy the ride.

Production sets should be accurately represented I would agree. HBBā€™s name mentioned a few times and in my opinion is not to blame if there is a discrepancy in actual vs pre production as Chris didnā€™t make the sets and that onus would fall to LETSHOUER and in my opinion Chris is one of the most honest reviewers I follow and trust.

Also for me I did not blind buy; I did get a chance to listen but I wasnā€™t listening to the bass performance and just got sucked into the incredibly massive stage and Detail. I would recommend the Lava to anyone wanting a set that skirts the line between very neutral technical and fun leaning towards the fun side 100%. Love my Lava and highly recommend it.

When I want more bass and a less spacious presentation to just chill I switch to the Penon Globe highly EQā€™D with a cooler tone and high shelf. Stock I find the Globeā€™s way too dark and thick for my tasteā€¦ But with MSEB or PEQ magic!

My 2* anyone who reads my comments know I have strong opinions and like to call out BS when I smell it sometimes with a bit too much spice I would apologize but life too short and precious!

Stay safe out there peeps Cheers J.

12 Likes

The comeback, the 1 year anniversary and the bucket list

Some of you already noticed Iā€™ve been under the radar for the last weeks / month. There was some stuff that I needed to take care of in order to move along, which means that more time will be free for audio, from now on. If everything goes as planned, which should be, I will be permanently working from home and on vacations until mid August - oh boy, can you imagine?

Another decision I had to take was to trim my collection. I was far too deep and I needed the bread so I had to get rid of some stuff. Iā€™m still selling and giving away some pieces of my collection so, in case you want anything I have, let me know so we can talk it through.

What really matters is that Iā€™m now back and oh boy, Iā€™m hungry.

During this time I managed to look into diverse fronts on my free time, such as speakers and buds. Letā€™s just say that I have great things coming!

I wonā€™t lie and say the IEM world has me hooked up at this point, especially due to the new releases - nothing seems new or appealing, just different ways to cook a steak. Besides one or two upcoming releases, nothing seems exciting so far. Iā€™m now in a mindset of quality over quantity.

Given this lack of new attraction, Iā€™m still trying to fulfill my bucket list of sets I want to try. 1 year has passed since I joined the hobby and some of them are still there, some others were already met. Thanks to a lot of good people and my own persistance, Iā€™m now in a position where whatever comes next is a bonus.

I figured there was no better way to kick-off out this comeback of the Tea Cult, stronger than ever, than to present you the (soon to be crossed) number one set on my bucket list:

You didnā€™t see it coming, right? Well actually, neither did I.

One of the most handsome fellas in Slovenia and my sugar daddy, @igor0203, sent me this inside a package, together with my EJ and DM.

I will share my thoughts on it once I have a couple more hours into the set, but I literally cried after 3 songs - it was Nina Simoneā€™s Sinnerman playing, - without no apparent reason, so that has to count for something.

The frequency graph for the Sony Z1R:

And the money shot:

Oriveti tour (last stop)

This week I also received 2 sets from a headfi tour, this time from Oriveti:

Oriveti O400 Frequency Graph:

Oriveti OV800 Frequency Graph:

With the different combination of switches:

This two sets wonā€™t have the usual very extensive review but a well organized one. Speaking of that, Iā€™m finally working on changing my review style and presentation, after several talks with some of the best players out there. The mission is to improve, to have better consistency and better clarity.

The remake of my tierlist is now a WIP and will be shared sooner than later, once itā€™s ready. I felt the time was now and itā€™s inconsistent as it is.

As you can see, Iā€™ve been away, but Iā€™ve been moving behind the scenes. Buckle up, grab a bear and tag in for the ride.

To everyone that kept asking about me through PMs, thanks for caring. Thanks for being here. Means a lot.

Sincerly yours,

nymz
The CEO

22 Likes

Welcome back. I knew you were trimming your collection back, which I imagine you just donā€™t have time to keep up with new reviews, let alone listening to your favorites.

I will never spend Z1R money, so that is really cool, and I look forward to your words on it.

I am at 54 days with the OG Tea, and they are still amazing, every time.

3 Likes

I would love to try the Z1R sometime. Seems like the only negative thing is fit on them.

So with you trimming back your sets and slowing IEM reviews so you think you are going to stick with the $300+ range and up?

1 Like