Nymzreviews.com official thread

FIIO FH5S, FD5, FA7, Acoustune HS1670SS, Acoustune HS1551, Raptgo Hook x, 7hz Timeless, tin hifi P1, IMR EDP ace, IMR Zenith 11, IMR Opus, Mia hidizs MD4, Olina,HBB KAI, Mele and Shuoer Tape pro

1 Like

Why not a tribid, then? :slight_smile: EJ series, Mahina

If you can find used (to fit your budget): Zen Pro.

Full BA route: RSV

2 Likes

Thanks Iā€™ve got a strict Ā£500 budget I do favour dd bass so far Iā€™ve only found the dunu Zen in budget

Zen gets a no rec from me, itā€™s busted tuning wise and needs either modding or EQ, and that canā€™t solve upper treble still.

EJ07m/Kinda Lava or Mahina, given your similar library to HBB make sense.

3 Likes

Thanks Iā€™ll take a look

1 Like

HBB recs and list will make more sense to you than my recs, given I donā€™t do those genres as much!

Another noteā€¦ IMO, unless you gonna get a tribid or a specific thing like higher end dds or full BAs, I would spend less than 500$.

3 Likes

TRN ST5 Review

My quick review of the TRN ST5 is out and you can find it on my website.

Thanks for reading and have a nice week!

12 Likes

Very interesting those over ear headphone updates.
I agree very much. The hd560s for the price is excellent but the EDXS was simply superior for me.

Based on the incredible similarity of opinions between the two I recommend you try the Dt1990 pro and the Ikko oh10. You will like them.

2 Likes

I wanna try HD600 and R70X because im a neutral boi regarding phones and buds.

Im doing a lot of behind the scenes work (which also explains some forum abscency), and one of those are articles that range from guides to explaining my preferences. My delve into overears has been a wise one where a lot of stuff has clicked.

You learn everyday and Iā€™m not someone who likes to stagnate.

7 Likes

Follow up on Questyle M15 that came back to me this week. I unfortunately managed to sell it before it came back and need to send it further however I decided to get one final listen to it to test itā€™s power capability on HD6xx (300Ohm headphones). And man - I compare it to DX3Pro+ and I can easily drive it on high gain single ended from both devices with headroom (80% on android), pronounced bass - nothing seem underdriven. In short - I cant hear a difference - kind of a shocker, I thought I would need at least to get it balanced to get the loudness right! All in all I think this device shines more with headphones than it does with IEMs.

It is sold now, I kind of regret it and kind of donā€™t - there is no use scenario for me for that at the moment, qudelix5k on the go is much more convenient, DAP + IEM at home in bed as well, and DAC/AMP at work with speaker out also.

But it is just crazy if you think about that it is 40mW device at 16Ohms, 11mW at 300Ohms.

OTOH - I know that @nymz said it did not give 300Ohm Serratus a justice though, but I am waiting for long term review

5 Likes

It is loud enough - just destorted as hell and lacking sense of dynamics, but as always, YMMV.

1 Like

I am always wondering how much of an exaggeration very harsh statement ā€œdistorted as hell and lacking sense of dynamicsā€ is (how much it is some slight difference noticed by very experienced listener as you) and how much it is really in-your face kind of experience. Because I honestly canā€™t hear a difference on theoretically similar 300Ohm loadā€¦ I am probably somehow deaf for details or forgiving and I am very happy because of that

4 Likes

Sigh

Here we go again. Itā€™s pretty evident to me since Iā€™ve used other sources with the same set and was literally A/Bing with 3 or 4 other sources at the same time, volume matched. Itā€™s also more evident to me, the more technical, transparent and clinical a set is.

I will share my tests for Serratus, SA-1 as reference:

• SA-1 High gain (6.5w @ 32ohm): 9 oā€™clock
  • M15 (PC high gain): 17/100 windows - Underpowered dead
  • M15 (Android high gain): Around 65% - Underpowered dead
  • RU-6 High gain (PC): 47/99 underpowered
  • RU-6 High gain (android): 60/99 underpowered
  • L30 High gain: 10 oā€™clock powered 95%

First of all, donā€™t you find it strange the great numbers that M15 outputs? It is basicly amplifying SPL to the moon. It sounded better and way more controlled on RU-6 and anyone reading the above would think otherwise, right?

Now, the first paragraph wonā€™t go without saying that: a source wonā€™t turn a set you hate on a set you love. Neither does cables. Or tips. Or whatever you can imagine. Even your own mood will be more powerful than those.

Now, what a source can do, is give color to the sound and, arguably or subjectly, sense of dynamics and technicalities like the soundstage. This last part is the YMMV and non-measurable part of the conversation, so we will have to to leave at ā€œif you donā€™t year, run away with your money and use an apple dongle for the love of god and spend money on anything elseā€.

Now, as for power. Technically you only need so much with a set like the HD6XX. According to calculators, you will only need 7mw of power @ 300ohm to make it loud enough with enough headroom, and thatā€™s science, and the part where you are right.

Now, will it sound good? Thatā€™s for you to decide. And youā€™re clearly on the winner (saving) side. Again, run with your money.

On a final note, HD600 has been the most source rolled pair of headphones in the history, with people going from apple dongles to 10k amps with that set, trying to find the best they can as its scalability is fabled across the internet, and itā€™s up for eachone to believe it/hear it or not. Also the Serratus is harder to power than HD6XX. If you would mention Tantalus the difference would be even bigger.

Hope I didnā€™t sound like a dick, but I havenā€™t sleep much today and itā€™s a dark grey and rain kind of day, so bare with me and my terrible mood. You know I love you.

10 Likes

No worries mate - it is very civilized answer describing your point of view (and I know you are sometimes tired of people with ā€œpower is a memeā€ approach like me). Mutual love :slight_smile:

In regards to SPL boost of M15 - I would try to get back to that statement from scientific point of view later on.
And fables on the internet are not in my interest if I cannot experience them as well - apart from audio- I am coffeehead as well and this hobby is probably as much filled with urban myths and ā€œcommon knowledgeā€ which upon verification do not prove true as hifi hobby :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Please do, as Iā€™m srsly curious about it. My uneducated theory isā€¦ well Iā€™d describe it thereā€™s just plain amplification with distortion on it. Like if the sound was so low that when magnified, got distorted.

Itā€™s basicly like zooming on photo 2x vs 5 times.

Oh noes, coffee as well? Was just having a talk about coffee with Igor this morning. Whatā€™s ur coffee setup?

1 Like

Hi Nymz i want to test what i am hearing is not placebo.

My S12 when paird with Penon pac480 cable has unbelievable 3D effect to the point some songs feels artificial but i love it. Thia cable also tames the occational shoutiness as well.

Maybe cables dont make that much effect on solid state amp but it does on my Mt604 tube hybrid. I am feeding this amp with xduoo l2b dongle which is known for great soundstage. When i changed stock cable that magic is reduced.

Is it possible for you to test this cable on S12 and adviseā€¦i think people should benefit from these mix matches to get maximum out of iems.

2 Likes

Sorry, Iā€™m on team ā€œcables donā€™t do a differenceā€ and Iā€™ve gave away that cable.

I canā€™t hear a difference on cables other than it changing the slightly the output SPL due to their resistance or something.

Yes, yes, I know, Pro-sources but anti-cables :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Sounds like itā€™s out of phase lol.

1 Like

Thanks no issues we all hear differently thats the hobbyā€¦and people buy cables for whatever reasons.

1 Like

Ohā€¦i dont understand out of phase but to me this is my daily driver nowā€¦thanks for checkimg.