Ok what Audiophile words or phrases piss you off?

I’ll start…“Endgame” lol

6 Likes

“High purity” in reference to cables.

2 Likes

“Burn-in” with gear.

Define gear, as I do think burn in with headphones/speakers can be fairly easy to hear the difference between sometimes. Also tube electronics as well

2 Likes

All of them. Equipment. The lot.

Interesting…⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

So I’ve been burning in the tubes I just got for this dark voice… wait whoops… didn’t see Madgman there… ahehee~:sweat_smile:

Well tubes actually do burn in lol, there is a curve depending on usage and heating up and lifespan that changes sound quality

2 Likes

Yep tubes need time for sure…to warm up and they change with age :+1:

1 Like

yeah, life span of tubes more than anaything is probably the one thing you can straight up measure the differences in life-span and usage… aka “burn-in”

but you missed the main point. Headline of topic is “what-audiophile-words-or-phases-piss-you-off” so a simple answer is “burn-in”.

It’s a another story is it true. :wink:

People claim they hear and see things all the time.
Have read many comments. Gear that is actual factory tested (true burn-in to test that gear is what the standard has been set) and still after that. Like 200h of factory testing. Some still find and hear differences at home… basically it’s 100% the same than it was from factory.

Like the 400i’s planars i have. Nothing has changes in sound on the actual driver when it come and after 200h hours of play. In my mind the “wearing of pads” is not burn-in, if it is. They burn-in all the time, to the point they are changes. but mo still.

Some brands do test for whatever amount of time and it doesn’t sound that different. But I do have a suspicion regarding the 4xx is that they don’t do testing as heavily, as I have heard a new 4xx and one used for like 6 months side by side and there is a difference, and after a few days they started getting more similar. Some headphones are like this, some aren’t. And typically at most I would say after you have like 20 hrs of constant use on them, they should be to the point where they sound like they should.

But another thing besides the pads you mentioned is mental burn in lol. Your brain getting used to the sound, which plays a larger role then physical burn in imo lol

But understood, you dislike the phrase :+1:

This 100% when I put on my P1’s i’m still like :open_mouth: but 20 mins down the line i’m at home…each to their own I guess?

Not phrases or words, but the overall “Throw money at the problem” attitude.
With tools, you buy what you need to get the job done.
With audiofools, you throw money out the window in search for things you barely can measure.

1 Like

“Estimated shipping date” on massdrop

21 Likes

Thanks for the typo check :+1: I might be from England but my English sucks lol

1 Like

Surely Modhouse win the delivery whenever :trophy:

2 Likes

What if you need to spend money to fix the problem :thinking:

I’m all for having a jank ass setup that works but sometimes you do have to spend to fix an issue

Maybe not “pissed” about this, but I have frustrations with the translations of sounds into words and vice versa. The audiophile vocabulary for describing sound signatures and tonal qualities strikes me as fuzzy and inconsistently applied. We use words like “bright”, “warm”, “cupped”, “neutral”, “forward”, “wide”, “aggressive”, etc. Some terms are easy to understand. “Bright” means lots of treble, for example. But one man’s “detail” is another man’s “aggressive”, and it can be hard to sort through all the verbiage.

2 Likes

True, it’s just really hard to really describe sound to someone who is either inexperienced or not fluent with terminology (well tbh describing sound is hard in its self, that’s why I like comparisons)

1 Like