Ominous prediction for audiophiles with iPhones

Yeah, because iPhone made iPod obsolete the day it came out. For a headphone users it pretty much was a iPod that also functioned as a phone. Hell that 2019 iPod even looks like a iPhone. It probably isn’t selling that much, since the community of people who still use separate music players isn’t that big and they probably are just selling off old stock so that they can kill that product line entirely.

1 Like

I’ve tried all music subsription services and for me personaly apple has the most atrocious UI and recommendations. Totally tailored to the top 50ies chart BS. Sorry to sound kinda elitist or eclectic but their music service…for me its unbearable, just my 2ct.

2 Likes

You certainly did, I’m not entirely wrong with that statement and I agree with you.
Apple’s operating system is the simplest and most understandable and intuitive there is.
No one has come close to it yet.
I have to say that since the release of Adroid they still haven’t managed to get it right, a lot of things are misleading and sometimes complicated.
That was already the case when I held an iPhone in my hand for the first time.
I actually see potential in the Ipod.
Why not an Ipod that works as a Dap on Apple’s operating system?
The technology would be there and so would the market, since everyone is running around with ibuds or whatever they’re called.
I’m surprised that no one at Apple’s technical department has come up with a solution that pays so much.
Or maybe it’s because Steve Jobs is no longer with us.
Since his departure, unfortunately, we have also seen deficits at Apple.
That probably wouldn’t have happened under his leadership.
An iPod Dap would certainly be a nice change and certainly also uncomplicated to handle and also great to be able to listen to music on the side and go on the internet instead of making phone calls.:crazy_face:

3 Likes

Nobody needs that much onboard storage unless it’s local music files. The cloud works just fine for photos, video, documents, etc.

I have the bare-bones 128 GB iPhone 12, and it’s onboard storage isn’t even one-quarter full. Then again, I place all of my photos, videos and documents into the cloud and only stream music.

dont neeed it you want it. Call me paranoid but im not ready to upload all my stuff to the NSA, you can say they already do. But ill sleep better having all the storage never need. What really bugs me is i dont need a camera that can record dolby vision. Give me other features or offer the iphone 11 camera and lower the price. Even going with a 13 its $1230, they know people will just buy up to the max pro youre already at 1200. How the FXXXK did we accept thousand dollar phones. Guess the same way we pay for dacs that can play 192/24.
Lol.

3 Likes

but you’re connected to the internet… they’re already on your computer. /s

1 Like

If the adoption of spatial audio takes hold the max resolution is 98/24 in the recording studio, but the standard finish release for movies and music is 48/24.

An iPod DAP could make sense but I think thats much more niche… For many people, they use their phone to play music, for real photography and video (even for work), etc.

Unless apple actually innovates and comes out with some kind of groundbreaking digital transfer or wireless audio technology, to me they are shooting themselves in the face if they eliminate all ports… A proprietary cable is kindof pointless IMHO if its actually worse…

If they eliminate ports and dont offer any real improvement or tech innovation I am pretty sure you will see their stock dive as an entire generation of iphone users skip the iphone release, they will see a loss of market share… My iphone 12 works fine, why would I upgrade to a phone that cannot connect to most equipment or my stereo or a computer with fast data transfer?

1 Like

1400$ sound like a deal for a apple fan. :smiley:
13 Pro 1T now at 2k$ with local prices. It has cut some sales even with the fans… hard to say why? lol

Personally i still think 400$ is the top dollar from any phone i would pay.

1 Like

Im a fan but not that big a fan.

I predict that we will see this only if they announce a lossless Bluetooth codec and WWDC this year. Makes no sense to add lossless to Apple Music, then restrict you to AAC/SBC

2 Likes

Well they aren’t exactly known for making good design decisions. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

The worst part is not really apple doing stupid shit, if their customers buy the stuff good for them.
The problem is when android brands copy that stupid shit because they see apple getting away with it.

If only they would also copy the good parts, like longterm software support

2 Likes

The way I see it, Android devices sacrifice long term software support and efficiency in exchange for cutting edge features. Apple only does polished stuff, at the expense of those cutting edge features.

That overly strict control of the entire ecosystem allows them to make incredibly efficient and fast hardware for their Macs (see M1), and provide long term software support. Also everything Apple just works together very seamlessly. Of course, if you want your non-Apple hardware to integrate nicely, you’re screwed

Personally, I don’t replace devices every year just because a new “better” one comes along, so I much prefer the longevity of Apple.

but give me an iPhone with USB-C for god’s sake

3 Likes

To a point i have to buy a new macbook because its older than 2015.

1 Like

I’m planning to upgrade from a 2009 MacBook Pro to an M1. Should be quite the jump!

1 Like

Exactly, my experience with Android devices is that I usually can’t upgrade to the new OS most of the the time specially if is not a Google device, and also it comes with a customize OS, it is not pure Android OS if is not a Google device, with Apple devices I can upgrade to a few OS generations without the need to upgrade, my current Apple devices are not the latest but still runs the new OS and still working properly even that they are a few years old. I work on tech so I tend to have gadgets, I have Android devices and Apple devices.

When it comes to the phones they do just work. Buy more memory than you need to be able to take the updates.

I dont know gents, if they can do bit perfect lossless why not ? how awesome is that not having to deal with the crappy lightning plug that frays when you breathe on it.

Although audio heads will have to wait for china to crank out dacs to sync up. As we know hifi addicts are not so much as an afterthought for Weyland-Yutani Corp.

1 Like

I don’t know, seems to me that the whole smartphone market has been stagnant for a while. I mean the last big innovation was probably Apples almost bezel-less screen with FaceID or Samsungs foldable phones. Other than that, we’ve seen minuscule gains and as far as Apple goes, they have pretty much fallen behind Android IMO, they used to be THE innovator in the smartphone sphere.

1 Like

Agree with all here. Well said.

I’m an Apple guy, as I own a MacBook Air and an iPhone 12. But I don’t upgrade every year or when every new model arrives. My MacBook Air is a 2015 or 2016 and still trucking just fine due to Apple’s free, universal software updates.

Still, I’m not an Apple sheep. Apple TV sucks harder than a senior prom date for the price, especially the first generation with that AWFUL touch controller. I’m far happier with my NVIDIA Shield TV, which runs on Android TV. The AI upscaling feature with the Shield works so well, far better than any tricks Apple has up its sleeve with Apple TV.

1 Like