Ominous prediction for audiophiles with iPhones

Curious, and a sincere question since I’m an iOS devotee: What are the innovations that Android has introduced to smartphone operating systems in the last few years that have placed Apple into the rearview mirror?

Biggest innovation is getting me to shell out $1500 for a camera phone i dont need.

1 Like

That’s exactly my point. I don’t want something super innovative, I want something that just works and does so for a long time. Hence, Apple.

1 Like

There are a few features that iOS copied from Android, I can tell you that. But what I mostly meant was, that Apple has been lacking in the hardware department. Most Android phones have a punch hole camera, that forehead looks so outdated and 2017. Mine has a pop-up camera, some even have a under screen camera. Their main shooter, even on the Pro models, is a 12MP camera. I know that in the context of taking IG photos, it really doesn’t matter that much, but as a Pro model, it should have at least a 48MP camera, that has been the standard in Android flagships the past few years. And it still has 6GB of RAM in 2021, most Android flagships start at 8. More RAM means that you can have more apps open and you can switch between them without waiting for them to launch again. Thank the lords that they upgraded to a 120Hz screen this year.

1 Like

That’s fair, but something that isn’t super innovative and just works shouldn’t start at a crispy price of 8-11 Benjamins.

1 Like

Definitely take a look at pixel phones. You get day one updates, great screens, great cameras and just works like iOS products do. Also they don’t cost an arm and a leg starting out.

I’m in the fortunate position to not be a mobile audiophile. I don’t listen to music or anything on my phone. I have a DAP that I use on occasion at home. But if I need a mobile audio solution, I’d take the DAP.

I’ve had iPhones since the first one through the XR. I kept the XR for a few months and then switched to a Pixel 3a. The Pixel 3a is still the phone I carry today and it serves me well.

I like and wanted the Pixel line of phones because it is most similar to iPhone’s in that it is pure Android and no other bloatware put on by the manufacturer and/or carrier. I had a real bad experience for 23 hours on a Samsung Galaxy something or other. On the Pixel updates are always on day one and don’t have to wait weeks, months, years for a fractured manufacturer update schedule for a non-Google phone.

The Pixel 3a has the smallest camera and I like that. It takes better photos than any of the iPhone’s I’ve had. However, I don’t care much about that. It bothers me that flagship phones tout their camera’s more than anything else. That’s great and all and I have nothing against having awesome cameras. But I’m not out there taking photos for National Geographic. My needs are far less critical. I’d be happy with a flagship level phone that has a basic camera but all of the other great features, like plenty of RAM, storage space, excellent CPU and such and do it at a far less costly option than the fancy camera flagship phones.

Give consumers an option on the flagship phones. 1. The way they are now with the mega camera stuff, and 2. The same phone with just a basic camera, and a basic price.

5 Likes

Iphones have good battery life over samsung.

1 Like

If it cost 20% more and lasts 2x as long, that’s well worth it imo

I happily pay extra for longevity, just like headphones and other audio gear

1 Like

You’re kind of right and iPhones do have a good resale value too.

1 Like

$1500 for a phone is steep. Im cool with the latest greatest minus the 4k dolby vision movie camera. I mean for christsake lol.

1 Like

But you can still hardwire through MAC devices ?

Moved this thread to equipment section since its not about headphones.

2 Likes

I doubt that’s going away any time soon, considering their marketing focus on video editing and music production

the overlords want to see that much detail of me on the louvre, so be it. If only they had a pro version with a lessor camera.

In the box ! I got remastering all content to dolby audio/video in the apple suggestion box, would be amazing. A fan upscaled pink floyds the wall in 4k on youtube.

Get ready people were doomed. Rumor is APPLE is going into the audio business. Also the record business.

Reported on the audioholics podcast on music streamers.

:rofl: You’re kidding, right? They almost went bankrupt under that imbecile and had to be bailed out by Bill Gates in like 1997.

it’s true…Apple is what it is today because Microsoft bankrolled them. LoL!

it may have been unwillingly, but bankrolled them none-the-less.

Apple is releasing a low cost iphone and ipad next month reported by an american mainstream newspaper.